Cyproheptadine and height growth

TheHound

Since cyproheptadine suppresses growth hormone, would this suppress height growth in a 20 year old?

answersfound

TheHound said:
anybody know?

No clue. But being too tall is a consequence of hypothyroidism so if it does, I'm sure it's correcting something.

Greta

Hello,
I'm curious about the studies that say that being too tall is due to hypothyroidism.

So far what I have found is this:

IN HUMANS AND OTHER mammals, the release from growth-inhibiting conditions leads to supranormal linear growth, termed catch-up growth. Catch-up growth has been observed after transient hypothyroidism, GH deficiency, glucocorticoid excess, malnutrition, and various systemic diseases (1). Recent evidence suggests that the mechanism responsible for catch-up growth resides within the growth plates, not the central nervous system as previously supposed (2). To explain this observation, we hypothesized that catch-up growth occurs because growth-inhibiting conditions slow the normal process of growth plate senescence.

Which says the opposite, but as another person has told me the same, I'm curious.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Greta

Can you copy the paragraph, please?
I've read it fast, but I couldn't find it, plus all the studies, that I have seen say the opposite. The only misunderstood, that I could find is that maybe he wrote about the growth catch-up which is a known phenomen.

If you are talking about acromegalia, it's a GH disorder (pituitary) and yes, people who suffers from it, also have thyroid abnormalities, even though that would be an exception, as everyone who suffers from a thyroid condition hasn't got also acromegalia, even if it's secondary (usually this would happen due to a brain tumor in that region).
Also the most common type of hypothyroidism is primary. Thyroid malfunction. Which would lead to shorter stature if not treated (and many other complications).

People who suffers from acromegalia, suffer from secondary hypothyroidism, so it's a pituitary malfunction, and also the "pitutary malfunction" is the one who leads to abnormal GH levels, and the growth, so I think hypothyrodism in this case is another sympton of the illness, but it has nothing to do with the abnormal growth patterns.

XPlus

Greta said:
Can you copy the paragraph, please?

That link was meant for the topic author.
I'd also be interested in finding out how hypothyroidism could cause the extra height.

Greta

Oh lol, thank you. Yes, I've heard it several times, yet all the studies say the opposite :)

OP
TheHound

TheHound

from searching google it seems cyproheptadine resulted in linear height growth in children. it might just be a result of the increased appetite

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals