Cypro And Tetracycline

achillea

Just got some. What is low dose tetracycline. Haidut said something about 20mg for 6 months! Any ideas? As for the cypro... we are already experiencing weight gain from the milk, cheese etc but if it will help with sleep and anti histamine effect then is .5 mg a good place tostart?

Pointless

.5 mg is good to start with cypro. I started with 1 mg, but that is enough to really whallop some people. It doesn't help me fall asleep, but I can't get out of bed in the morning. Other people feel the same way, but see if it works for you.

jyb

Even with .5, the side effects could put you off completely. If you need to be in decent mood for a day at work, would be safer to start at 0.25mg, and even then it might fail.

lindsay

Bumping this thread! I too just received an order of 250 mg capsules of tetracycline antibiotics and 4 mg tablets of Cyproheptadine from All Day Chemist.

I have been feeling like I have been battling a mild sinus infection for weeks, which tends to be coupled with nausea, allergies and stomach discomfort. Thyroid helps, but hasn't made a huge improvement this time around. I haven't taken antibiotics since my appendicitis almost two years ago and have tried to use other remedies, but I think I need something a little stronger, as it's making work days really miserable (nothing worse than shooting a wedding when your gut and sinuses are killing you).

What is a good dose for tetracycline if we are focusing on sinus issues (congestion, pain, ears hurting)? I just divided one capsule in half - so about 125 mg - but I'm not sure that will be an adequate dose. I just want to take them for a few days and see if it helps.

Also, my allergies have been bad this year. And since I have a long history of serotonin related issues from my Zelnorm usage, I thought Cyproheptadine might be worth a try - but I don't want to dive into it and get hammered.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I've made vast improvements over the past few years in mental and physical issues, but my gut is my constant struggle. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Rafe

Small doses of cyproheptadine knocked me out. At first. I started w/ 1mg & like most people report, I slept for 12 hrs. I think .5 is a better place to start. I continued to take it and gradually increased the dose b/c I was using it to relieve my deranged parasympathetic tone (relying on its anticholinergic properties).

After 3 days the grogginess left, after 3 wks. I no longer got significantly sleepy, but it did calm a tremor, a dyskinetic gallbladder, and IBSd. BTW all these were also initially improved by progesterone, too. But all improved in the opposite order from how they appeared.

In my case I had serotonin symptoms & oscillation derangements that overlapped. Cyproheptadine seemed to help both. It didn't cure anything by itself. It just gave me some time & space to work on diet & life.

I have taken cyproheptadine almost daily for over a year. I never get sleepy from it now, it just calms, clarifies, & yields a sensation of some liberation from stress. Working, playing, loving, all I can say is yee-ha, Baybeee. I can ride around in a rag top with my 80 yo dad driving with Guy Clark on full blast & feel so happy I'm ready for full-on life.

I have taken it in higher doses: my highest dosing day in winter was 28mg. If stress is acute, then tianeptine is a better choice for me b/c the cypro is more subtle-feeling. In evaluating it now, I have needed some strong supports, but anything over 12 or 16mg. of cypro & you could just be wasting it. What I did I consider a heavy support and a kind of triage that I hope to not need again in the coming winter.

I doubt that using cyproheptadine this heavily is peaty, but I notice that 80 yo people in good health often seem to me more psychologically stress resistant than younger people. Even if they also seem adrenalized or have high estrogen symptoms ("age spots," easy skin bruising, bad dreams, etc.). Some children seem less stress resistant than me, also. Freaky puppies.

I also use doxycycline, but not regularly now. It improves a lot of symptoms I would never expect an antibiotic to affect if I hadn't read about endotoxin, like weird, generalized anxiety & bad sleep. And the gallbladder crankiness. But I think it can be a risky strategy, so I'm trying to figure out the best strategy to minimize this while still getting some relief if I need it.

An every-other-day dosing schedule can be useful w/ doxycycline I think. I don't know anything about dosing tetracycline.

If you take these antibiotics your skin will be a lot more sun sensitive.

I look forward to hearing what you think. I usually decide on an initial very conservative dose. Then cut that by half.

lindsay

@Rafe - thank you so much for your input! I am wondering if I will notice much reaction to Cyproheptadine and drowsiness...... I tried to take a Benadryl to help me sleep recently and it didn't make me drowsy at all, and I even took it with chamomile tea. However, that was right before a wedding and I tend to have issues sleeping before a big work day, due to anticipation stress. Once I begin working, I am fine. But the waiting gets to me.

I will try taking it this evening and see how it goes at a 0.5 - 1.0 mg dose, since I could use a good night's sleep anyhow and can sleep later tomorrow if need be. Generally, I feel very good now and the depression issues I've had in the past are way better - probably because of thyroid & progesterone. But when my digestion gets real bad, I get irritable - still, it doesn't go to my head the way it used to when I was more manic. Thyroid and progesterone have certainly done wonders for my mental functioning, but I'm wondering if I will even need thyroid much if I can take care of any infection and use things like Cypro to help me with the digestion and mood issues.

I took Minocycline & Doxycycline together following appendicitis surgery two years ago and felt fantastic during and after they finished, despite the morning diarrhea they caused - this could have been from the lingering infection though. But my digestion was great and very fast after the antibiotics and I had a lot of energy - I went camping like two weeks after having major abdominal surgery and was working on my feet again within three weeks. This is why I think I have had a mild infection for some time and, until I kick it completely, I don't think I will feel right. I opted to order tetracycline because Doxycycline was far more expensive. However, the vet prescribes it for my dog whenever he gets an infection, so I can probably ask for extra and keep some for myself. I could go to a doctor, but I would end up paying more and they stress me out.

I already feel slightly better after the small tetracycline dose I took - I will take another later, but it says to wait until an hour after eating. The dose for skin conditions is 250 mg - 500 mg per day, so I figured 250 mg would be a decent dose to start with (but divided) and then lower it if I begin to feel better. And I might throw in some probiotic foods (like pickles) to help with the after effects. Again, thank you so much for your input :):

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals