Severe And Persistent Thyroid Dysfunction Associated With Tetracycline-Antibiotic Treatment In Youth

Collden

Yeah, while not conclusive, the evidence does point more to Black Thyroid not being a good thing.

I think while neuromelanin itself is can be protective by sequestering toxins, it still seems to be associated with cytotoxic cell death, particularly in Parkinsons disease, could be a marker for some other toxic insult occurring.

OP
Tristan Loscha
While it’s when you think about it, the right answer to state that the knowledge isn’t sufficient to really say anything absolute about healthy or optimal thyroid function - it’s also a bit annoying that he takes this head in the clouds stands
Thanks for asking and sharing @Collden

what i meant by that was even for a single given substance,there can be dead angles in the sense of invisibility of entire topics surrounding the substance.I read about minocycline and other tetracyclines,but the severity or the existence of this problem wasnt encountered by me,at all.

and yes,i hope RP reads up on this issue,it is real and likely moderate severe to severe,given the possibility of tissue damage and organ failure.

CoconutEffect

• adolescents
• family history of autoimmunity
• could these purported ill effects be due to minocycline induced vitamin K deficiency?

also happens to be a potent and rapid anti depressant for the very recalcitrant bipolar depression “the greatest unmet need in bipolar disorder” perhaps by lowering MMP9, though the authors declare no conflict of interest.

not convinced.

“That being said, this chart review also found that it is not uncommon for tetracycline-antibiotic treated adolescents to have evidence for autoimmune thyroid dysfunction. It is possible that family history of autoimmunity in two of the three cases could point to a latent familial predisposition without detectable autoimmunity in the individual.”

Ravenslore

I’m 41 years old and I took Tetracycline for a few years in high school for acne. During that time I developed coordination problems (later mis-diagnosed as PDD and Asperger Syndrome and then re-diagnosed as Gluten Ataxia,) and restless leg syndrome.

Later in college I gradually developed hypothyroidism which got progressively worse for years. I kept increasing my dose and it was difficult to manage because I seemed to have symptoms of both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism at the same time.

I finally got it under control using TyroMax the past several years. (All my Thyroid panel results are squarely in the green in a recent blood test.)

But it still doesn’t act like normal hypothyroidism in that I have symptoms within 16 hours if I’ve taken slightly more or less than the exact dose. My doctors have told me that is impossible because it takes weeks to tell if a dose is right for most people. That makes me think it’s not a typical hypothyroidism. I suspected it was related to a liver problem but a recent blood panel of that also has everything well in range.

I got tons of other tests but not sure what all is related specifically to this issue.

tankasnowgod

But these are like all the antibiotics Peat recommends sometimes..

Did you look at the studies? Many times the researchers claimed that it resulted in "hyperthyroidism," which means a very low TSH, along with high amounts of T4 and T3 (no word on temp or pulse). Looks like it may have resulted in improved metabolism. What isn't Peat recommended about that?

That said, Peat doesn't generally recommend taking antibiotics for months at a time, and looks like some were taking them for 23 months. If acne was severe enough to warrant actual antibiotic use, there could have been some underlying thyroid (or other) issue, so hard to even know if the antibiotics were even causal in these cases. It's a very small group of teenagers they are gathering this data from.

Last edited:

LeeLemonoil

Indeed this is not enough to draw any definitive conclusions.

When there really is thyroid-crash by longterm tetracyclic antibiotics use this st least is in line with mitohormetic and eventually „life-extending“ effects of this class. By subduing metabolism ....

artist

Really interesting thread…unfortunately it’s tricky when drawing conclusions from small numbers of people w severe acne because those people already have significant stuff going wrong in their body. My mom has hypothyroidism/depression/anxiety, my dad eventually MS, my brother severe digestive issues leading to leaving school, I have had mental health consequences and mast cell activation…all four of us had acne, mine moderate the other 3 severe. I don’t think any of us took antibiotics for it, though my brother and I did eventually take Accutane. Of course the many ills attributed to Accutane fall into the same issue. I was already suicidal before I took it, so it’d be hard to say if it made it worse, although it may have. I’d like to see studies comparing the after-effects of minocycline for people who take it for acne, acute infections, bipolar etc and see if/how they differ.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom