Concerned about enamel drinking OJ

Bodhi

Folks,

As some of u know i'm quite new to Peating and the more i read about it the more i'm convinced it is IT!

Though still struggling with my "OLD" conditionings especially related to OJ...

In the Naturapathic views OJ is to acidic for the body thus breaking down minerals and more important most dentist warn about harming tooth enamel ....

What is your experience/opinion about this and what does Ray says about this?

I recently saw Ray Peat on a video and i think he looks great for 77 and although i know he ruined his teeth with something else i was still a bit shocked to see his teeth and wonder if it is not caused bij al the OJ's ..

If someone is so focussed and experienced and a "GURU' in good health why would Ray Peat not have his teeth fixed?

Thanks allot from someone with great teeth and likes to keep them!

Bodhi

YuraCZ

Bodhi said:
In the Naturapathic views OJ is to acidic for the body thus breaking down minerals

Bodhi
oh boy.. :pray
Citrus fruit juice as a fluid is acidic. BUT for the body they become alkaline.. What a ignorance. :roll:

mt_dreams

I would imagine Ray would be more focused on health/strength of teeth, not necessarily how white they are. Keeping teeth pure white seems to be a modern day obsession.

If you are concerned about oj's acid effect on teeth, you can do several things to combat this.
Drink through a straw.
Add alkali minerals to oj before drinking (sodium bi-carb for ex, would work) to make it less acidic.
keep some sodium bi carb liquid near by and swish out your mouth after drinking the oj.

oh and body acidity has to do with things like pral & kidney health, etc, not acidic fruit (which actually turn the body more alkaline like yuraCZ pointed out above).

Suikerbuik

To be fair, organic acids can be acidic to a body when not metabolized properly. If you do metabolize them well they will be converted into CO2.
Besides alkalizing your saliva, taking bicarb 1 to 2g a day is protecting against kidney issues in case you're still worried, which regulate body pH as mt_dreams said.

Eggshells and vitamin K, and I can drink as much orange juice as I would like without any issues. Lately I've even been able to eat whole fruits like apples again without any teeth sensitivity. (I wasn't able to for some years, after ruining my teeth with lemon juice and probably poor calcium status in a pre-peat episode...)

OP
Bodhi

Bodhi

mt_dreams said:
I would imagine Ray would be more focused on health/strength of teeth, not necessarily how white they are. Keeping teeth pure white seems to be a modern day obsession.

If you are concerned about oj's acid effect on teeth, you can do several things to combat this.
Drink through a straw.
Add alkali minerals to oj before drinking (sodium bi-carb for ex, would work) to make it less acidic.
keep some sodium bi carb liquid near by and swish out your mouth after drinking the oj.

oh and body acidity has to do with things like pral & kidney health, etc, not acidic fruit (which actually turn the body more alkaline like yuraCZ pointed out above).

mt_dreams, i wasn't reffering to the colour of teeth but the enamel that could be damaged (ray misses a few teeth) that was what shocked me a bit...

mt_dreams

boodhi, if I recall correctly, Ray damaged his teeth a long time ago while testing out some extreme ways of eating ... though I can't remember what he was eating at the time. I guess he prefers to not mess with things that wont really improve health, than go the route of tooth implants.

Does anybody know if he's mentioned the state of his teeth health & maint over the last 30 years or so?

ilovethesea

There was a discussion on Facebook about dental implants and root canals. Someone wrote to Ray and apparently he said root canal is better than having extraction. I had an infected baby tooth extracted, then a badly placed implant that had to be replaced a few years later and had lots of dead tissue according to the dentist. Have to wonder if that caused some health problems.

Although Ray also said endotoxin in the gut is a bigger problem than local infection in a tooth.

Xisca

You are right to be concerned!
I wanted to open a post, so do not have to....

I met to persons the same day who mentioned to me a problem with oranges....
i live in a place that produces oranges, I have my own!

The 1st person started a diet with orange juice, she made it fresh from her owns.
When I met her, she was over the problem and had stopped orange nuice.

Her enamel problem that she was not aware of at the beginning was that bed that doctors had begun to think she might have a jaw cancer.

It was just that oranges were spoiling her enamel...

Xisca

This is another problem, nothing to do with teeths, but the second person that mentionned to me a problem with oranges, told me he eats everything BUT ORANGES.
He gets a cold each time he eats them!

I had been told that this could happen with oranges eaten in the morning for breakfast. The advise was to eat them alone and in the afternoon, especially in cold countries in winter.

TMoney

Suikerbuik said:
To be fair, organic acids can be acidic to a body when not metabolized properly. If you do metabolize them well they will be converted into CO2.
Besides alkalizing your saliva, taking bicarb 1 to 2g a day is protecting against kidney issues in case you're still worried, which regulate body pH as mt_dreams said.

Eggshells and vitamin K, and I can drink as much orange juice as I would like without any issues. Lately I've even been able to eat whole fruits like apples again without any teeth sensitivity. (I wasn't able to for some years, after ruining my teeth with lemon juice and probably poor calcium status in a pre-peat episode...)

Vit K from a food source or a supplement? Why eggshells over dairy?

Suikerbuik

TMoney said:
Vit K from a food source or a supplement? Why eggshells over dairy?

Kale broth sometimes occasionally, but thorne vit K is much more convenient. Eggshells instead of milk, because milk makes my lymphatic system sluggish.

YuraCZ

ilovethesea said:
Someone wrote to Ray and apparently he said root canal is better than having extraction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

Suikerbuik said:
Interesting! Any source for that please? :hattip

welshwing

Reason I stopped drinking OJ. Cantaloupe, watermelon, they are okay. This isn't a stupid concern at all. Teeth are what hold your face together, losing them will ruin your bone structure. It's not worth it to pour acid on your teeth even if It's a healthydrink.

Suikerbuik

Parsifal said:
post 113583
Suikerbuik said:
Interesting! Any source for that please? :hattip

Hi parsifal, sorry hadn't noticed your comment. In case you haven't found your answer yet, what statement do you want sources for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

Suikerbuik said:
Hi parsifal, sorry hadn't noticed your comment. In case you haven't found your answer yet, what statement do you want sources for?
Hi, no problem!

Sources for the statement that organic acids can be acidic to the body (which acids) and that when you metabolize them they are converted into CO2. Thanks :hattip.

Suikerbuik

Ah the simple one :), just have a look at the citric acid cycle and the molecules involved.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals