Common food ingredient causes low IQ in babies

haidut

I find it just shocking that a compound that is used as a "treatment" for hyperthyroidism (and thus causes hypothyroidism) is approved for as a food ingredient, and is NOT regulated for its presence in drinking water.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants ... lorate.cfm

Life is stranger than fiction as they say. Anyways, perchlorate is linked to low baby IQ (and probably autism) by causing prenatal hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, according to the study there is no escaping it since it is ubiquitous.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 132514.htm

""The reason people really care about perchlorate is because it is ubiquitous. It's everywhere," said Elizabeth Pearce, MD, MSc, associate professor of medicine at BUSM. "Prior studies have already shown perchlorate, at low levels, can be found in each and every one of us." Perchlorate is a compound known to affect the thyroid gland, an organ needed to help regulate hormone levels in humans. According to Pearce previous studies have attempted to implicate this anti-thyroid activity in pregnant mothers as a possible cause of hypothyroidism, or an underactive thyroid gland. Hypothyroidism in newborns and children can lead to an array of unwelcome side effects, including below average intelligence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchlorate

"...Perchlorate is commercially produced as solid salts of ammonium, sodium, and potassium cations; it is used as an oxidizer in solid propellants for rockets, missiles, fireworks, and certain munitions and used in the manufacture of matches. Potassium perchlorate has, in the past, been used therapeutically to treat hyperthyroidism resulting from Graves' disease via interfering with accumulation of iodide in the thyroid, which results in the blocking of hormone production."

There may be a way to speed up reduction of perchlorate into more harmless chloride by exposing it to acetate (vinegar). Not sure if this would work inside the human body though, so feel free to research about other reduction techniques.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1169015/

"...We measured the effects of electron donor (acetate and hydrogen) and nitrate addition on perchlorate reduction rates and microbial community composition in microcosm incubations of vadose soil. Acetate and hydrogen addition enhanced perchlorate reduction, and a longer lag period was observed for hydrogen (41 days) than for acetate (14 days). Initially, nitrate suppressed perchlorate reduction, but once perchlorate started to be degraded, the process was stimulated by nitrate."

LucyL

Reverse Osmosis filtration system will remove most perchlorate (around 95% was one figure I saw). Also activated charcoal will absorb it too.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Common Food Additive Promotes Colon Cancer In Mice Additives 23
R Sleep tests should be just as common as blood tests Miscellaneous Health Discussions 8
Sam321 Common Sense Protocol to Minimize Damage From J & J Vaccine Ask For Help or Advice 2
Giraffe Outbreak of common colds after 17 weeks of complete isolation Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 17
yerrag Japanese Kampo Medicines For The Treatment Of Common Diseases: Focus On Inflammation By Amazon.com S Book Recommendations 7
ScurveDream Common Cold/feeling "sick" Lots Of People Talk Of -- What Is The Explanation? Ask For Help or Advice 7
haidut Two Common Iron Supplements May Cause (aggressive) GI Cancer Scientific Studies 5
haidut A Common Probiotic Strain (lactobacillus) May Cause Lupus Scientific Studies 29
Cirion Compilation Of EMFs Of Common Everyday Objects Radiation 111
T Scientists Unravel The Structure Of Common Bacterial Wall-building Protein Scientific Studies 0
kayumochi The Common Root Of Heart Disease And Cancer Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 0
M Medical Establishment Conspiracy To Conceal Lethal Risks Of Common Medical Procedure! Articles & Scientific Studies 23
Xisca Autism Has Much In Common With Chronic Fatigue, Methyl Cycle And Glutathione Depletion Autism 7
J Is There A Common Cause For Chronic Gut Issues? Digestion 68
Amazoniac 5 Common Regrets Of The Dying The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 11
haidut Common Additive Titanium Dioxide Is Neurotoxic Scientific Studies 36
Westside PUFAs "Cataracts Are Twice As Common In Men Over The Age Of 65, Who Took Big Supplements Of Vit. E And Vit Vitamins 10
haidut A Common Vegetable Component Promotes Cancer Scientific Studies 1
N "The common causes of hypothyroidism are..." Ray Peat Quotes 28
N Context: Common Misinterpretations of Peat Ray Peat Topics 40
Rachel Common sense.. Random Quotes 4
N Common Misinterpretations Of A "Peat Diet" Discussing Dietary Models 3
charlie Omega 6 Content of Common Foods Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 4
G Serious food poisoning for a week. Need Help. Ask For Help or Advice 3
H EU bans titanium dioxide as food addictive due to genotoxicity Articles & Scientific Studies 10
Rinse & rePeat The Original 7 Wonders Of The World: The Food Pyramid Diet 20
M Lack of Trace minerals digestion related or not enough in food nowadays? Ask For Help or Advice 4
Rinse & rePeat Food Layering & Better Digestion Diet 44
J No food cravings anymore Health 3
cupofcoffee Dr. Shanna Swan on How Plastics in Food are Affecting Our Hormone Levels Thyroid and Hormones 7
Sefton10 Thread of better quality food options (UK) Diet, Recipes 69
vetbusd No food is safe for me Diet, Recipes 60
M Lazy men recipes / food advices // how much time do you spend to prepare food? Ask For Help or Advice 3
bzmazu Why are over 35 million people in the US "food insecure"? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 4
bzmazu Can eating junk food as a child alter your microbiome for life? Digestion, Gut Flora 0
N Great reset food options Politics and Science Radio Show 6
bzmazu What Will People Do For Food When Much of Europe And North America Is Too Cold to Farm? Science 8
deliciousfruit Why is Peat so adamant about supplement use, but not food quality? Ray Peat Topics 5
P How to treat acquired food allergies linked to upset stomach; Antibiotic flush? Digestion 0
TypicalJock Does food in plastic packaging effect the food? Ask For Help or Advice 1
P How Do I Know If My Issues Are Caused By Enviroment Or Food? Dream About Eating Mold Mental Issues 5
bzmazu A Corporate Takeover Of The Food System Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 2
RealNeat Why Focus On Nano In Food But Not In Skies? Ray Peat Topics 11
A Exposure Of Iron Knife With Food Ask For Help or Advice 14
N Bad Reaction To Traditional Food Market Whole Bone Calcium Supplement Diet 6
haidut Many "inert" Additives In Drugs And Food Are Actually Active And Toxic Scientific Studies 4
A I Dont Tolerate Food X Anymore, I Can’t Eat Anything Anymore Ask For Help or Advice 17
V Eating More Nutritious Food That I Don't Crave And I Find Hard To Digest Or Avoid Them At All? Digestion 9
Tristan Loscha New Religious Movements And Food Document Discussing Dietary Models 0
Hgreen56 I Need A Thermo Food Jar, Are These Safe? Additives, Cookware, Eating Out, Spices 0