Effects Of Thyroid Hormone On Steroid Metabolism

haidut

Forum Supporter
Very good study for those who want to know how taking thyroid affects their steroid metabolism. Below is my summary of the relevant point, but I still strongly recommend everyone reads the entire study, as it is very accessible.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1807335/

1. Cortisol and aldosterone production and clearance rate is dramatically increased by hyperthyroidism and decreased by hypothyroidism. While this means higher production of these steroids, it also means faster excretion and thus much weaker effect of these steroids in a hyperthyroid state. In hypothyroidism, clearance is decreased and even though plasma levels may be normal, these steroids have much longer half life and much stronger effect on tissues.

2. Testosterone and DHT production is dramatically increased in hyperthyroidism and their clearance rate is decreased. This means much higher plasma levels of these hormones will accumulate in a hyperthyroid state and their effect will be very pronounced. The most dramatic increase was noted for DHT, with plasma levels increasing by 8-10 times over the average values found in euthyroid men. The data on testosterone was pretty similar to DHT. The data on estrone and estradiol was not consistent between studies. Some studies found very high levels of both estradiol and estrone in hyperthyroid people and this resulted in gynecomastia for some men. Other studies did not find increased estrogen in hyperthyroid people. What the studies did find was the accelerated conversion of estrone and estradiol into estriol, which is the "weakest" of the estrogens and is often used as finial form to be excreted in urine.

The above observations for hyperthyroidism are pretty similar to the ones cased by EFA deficiency - i.e. much higher rates of production (and plasma levels) of sex steroids (especially androgens) and reduced effects of cortisol.

schultz

Guess I missed this when you originally posted it. Thanks for linking to it on the Androsterone thread.

superhuman

omg. This is ding ding ding win for RP once again. Also reducing cortisol and aldosterone which is my main focus in terms of reducing the puffyness/swollen state and achieve a more dry state and also the testosterone etc. Man this is a major one.

@haidut i have been no fat for quite some time now, many months but still i have not managed to increase my temp and pulse much. It still lower then 37 celcius and pulse is 60-70 bpm. I take 3 mcg T3 of your T3 supplement every few hours but still i have not noticed anything. Like i want to make myself a little hyperthyroid if thats possible, but i dont think i would manage to do even that if i tried. I know to much T3 at once want work either since liver will just deactivate it.
Any suggestions?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
omg. This is ding ding ding win for RP once again. Also reducing cortisol and aldosterone which is my main focus in terms of reducing the puffyness/swollen state and achieve a more dry state and also the testosterone etc. Man this is a major one.

@haidut i have been no fat for quite some time now, many months but still i have not managed to increase my temp and pulse much. It still lower then 37 celcius and pulse is 60-70 bpm. I take 3 mcg T3 of your T3 supplement every few hours but still i have not noticed anything. Like i want to make myself a little hyperthyroid if thats possible, but i dont think i would manage to do even that if i tried. I know to much T3 at once want work either since liver will just deactivate it.
Any suggestions?

How is your salt and liquids intake? I would try to keep a decent intake of salt and drink liquids only when thirsty. Protein intake is also very important for thermogenesis. Cholesterol and DHEA levels are also important for responding well to thyroid.

superhuman

@haidut i drink 3 quarts skimmed milk with 1/4 tsp salt and sugar in each. I drink coffee. But i dont drink much water or any other "empty" fluids. I get 100-15og protein a day.

I supplement with 5-15mg DHEA a day and ive also tried pregnenolone. But i havent noticed anything from either.

How much salt do you think one can try and supplement with? like a certain amount/grams for each Liter/quart of milk or ?

I know Josh Rubin talked about using 1-3 tablespoons of salt a day for hypothyroid people.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut i drink 3 quarts skimmed milk with 1/4 tsp salt and sugar in each. I drink coffee. But i dont drink much water or any other "empty" fluids. I get 100-15og protein a day.

I supplement with 5-15mg DHEA a day and ive also tried pregnenolone. But i havent noticed anything from either.

How much salt do you think one can try and supplement with? like a certain amount/grams for each Liter/quart of milk or ?

I know Josh Rubin talked about using 1-3 tablespoons of salt a day for hypothyroid people.

I would not overdo the salt just to drive thermogenesis. Eating salt to taste is the best indicator. Have you checked blood levels of cholesterol and DHEA-S lately? I would do that and also run a CBC check to see if there is any latent infection somewhere. If T3 does not raise temps and cholesterol and DHEA are normal, it is usually due to infection

superhuman

@haidut Thank you. I have not checked my blood levels of cholesterol and DHEA-S because it takes forever to that stuff here, but i will find myself a new doctor so i can do it.

Hmm if its infection how can i approach that? since i have done 2 cycles 3-4 days each of tetracycline also to try and work on my infection or if it was endotoxin related. Really really strange

paymanz

The above observations for hyperthyroidism are pretty similar to the ones cased by EFA deficiency - i.e. much higher rates of production (and plasma levels) of sex steroids (especially androgens) and reduced effects of cortisol.
Have you posted about efad and steroids before?

Can you share it please?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Have you posted about efad and steroids before?

Can you share it please?

I am pretty sure I have but not near a computer right now so can't do much searching.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I just read this while reading up on the effect of thyroid hormones on steroidogenesis. Obviously thyroid hormones are awesome, but don't overdo thyroid/thyroid hormone supplementation:
"chronic exposure of the cells to T3 inhibits StAR mRNA, StAR protein and pregnenolone to progesterone converting enzyme 3β-HSD.[28]"
Study

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I just read this while reading up on the effect of thyroid hormones on steroidogenesis. Obviously thyroid hormones are awesome, but don't overdo thyroid/thyroid hormone supplementation:
"chronic exposure of the cells to T3 inhibits StAR mRNA, StAR protein and pregnenolone to progesterone converting enzyme 3β-HSD.[28]"
Study

Absolutely, like so many other things in the organism there is a negative feedback mechanism. But for most people I think the danger is of too little T3 exposure, not too much. Also, pulse exposure if probably best since the study you cited found issues with chronic exposure. Maybe another reason to take T3 as needed and not on a regular basis.

ddjd

still i have not managed to increase my temp and pulse much. It still lower then 37 celcius and pulse is 60-70 bpm. I take 3 mcg T3 of your T3 supplement every few hours but still i have not noticed anything. Like i want to make myself a little hyperthyroid if thats possible, but i dont think i would manage to do even that if i tried. I know to much T3 at once want work either since liver will just deactivate it.
Any suggestions?
High nitric oxide will inhibit thyroid hormone. Check your nitric oxide and get it low low low

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

Any suggestions?

Can I finally say, that I am borderline HYPER and I honestly feel like I am sometimes Hyper, depending on what I take.
My main symptoms are:
-Free floating anxiety
-CANNOT HOLD FLUIDS (Have ultra l0w aldosterone) so I do indeed look dry/shredded, but this also means I can easily get dehydrated easily and also have LOW blood pressure.
-Waiting to find out what my cortisol result reveals.
-High libido, but zero sensation/orgasm.

I think it’s dead

anyone have any blood tests showing higher androgens from thyroid supplementation?
:discoboogie
Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk
I'm a woman's man, no time to talk
Music loud and women warm, I've been kicked around
Since I was born
And now it's alright, it's okay
And you may look the other way
We can try to understand
The New York Times' effect on man