Colonoscopy or no?

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'm 36 and have had severe stomach issues for a long time. I'm always in pain through my entire digestive tract. I've had 9 colonsocpies from ages 18-28, but haven't had one in 8 years. I'm debating getting one just because my stomach definitely hasn't gotten better, but I don't want to keep going through these invasive procedures. I do always worry about deeper issues with my stomach developing though. Stuck here between wanting one and not wanting one.

Taking aspirin daily provides all the benefits of colonoscopy (and probably more in terms of prevention as colonoscopies do not really prevent any disease), without most of the risks.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I've had various diagnosis from crohns to colitis to IBS, etc. I am way more sluggish and constipated which crohns never made sense to me. Through every scope though, they seen inflammation through my entire tract, and definitely irritation in my esophageal area.

In any event, I just really need to get to the root of my stomach issues as it's always painful literally from top to bottom. Since it's so chronically bad, I worry about it leading to something worse.

tankasnowgod

Colonocytes get most of their energy from butyrate produced by the bacterial fermentation of dietary fiber. If they are not healthy, leaky gut results with all of its associated problems. Butyrate also promotes tight-junction proteins between colonocytes as well as the mucosal lining, which keeps noxious stuff in the gut from leaking into the body.

You do know that fermentable fiber is the kind that Peat recommends against, right?

Gustav3Y

Are you sure you had 9 Colonoscopies, a tube inserted in the rectum 9 times?
I notice you mention the Stomach and Esophagus, that is Gastroscopy, no colonoscopy is done through the mouth.

Perry Staltic

You do know that fermentable fiber is the kind that Peat recommends against, right?

Yeah, but I eat lot's of it, and have all of my adult life. If I thought it did me harm I wouldn't eat it. Has Peat ever addressed the issue of butyrate? The things he expresses concern about don't seem to be an issue when the colon is healthy (i.e., not leaky). I can't fathom how a person can have a healthy colon without sufficient butyrate, which mainly derives from fermentation of fibers and resistant starches. It promotes ATP for colonocytes, tight junction proteins, and the mucosal barrier. If these things aren't healthy toxins can leak into the body instead of being flushed out into the toilet.

Perry Staltic

Additionally, I have read that butyrate is anti-carcinogenic, which one of the studies in your link echoes:
Fermentation of fibers within the large bowel results in the production of short chain fatty acids, which in vivo stimulate cell proliferation, while butyrate appears to be antineoplastic in vitro.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Are you sure you had 9 Colonoscopies, a tube inserted in the rectum 9 times?
I notice you mention the Stomach and Esophagus, that is Gastroscopy, no colonoscopy is done through the mouth.
Yes, absolutely. Trust me, I know the difference between a "colon"oscopy and endoscopy. I've had many endoscopies as well.

KCM

I've recently opted to not go through with mine at 27 despite having a flagged occult/FIT marker of 45-55 ug/g

I managed to get mine to 4 ug/g (also could be intermittent bleeding) with L-Glutamine, Glycine (10-15g) Colostrum and a igG supplement

I figure if it's bowel cancer my marker will be elevated in several months time and will gradually get higher and if not, it would be IBD/IBS/SIFO/SIBO and my endoscope already gave the all clear for my stomach/esophagus. In case of IBD/SIFO/SIBO I can check some GI-Mapping markers or take a SIBO test. SIFO I was recently diagnosed with through some strange russian based blood test for SIBO. Every 3-4 month checkups for regular bloods too.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I've recently opted to not go through with mine at 27 despite having a flagged occult/FIT marker of 45-55 ug/g

I managed to get mine to 4 ug/g (also could be intermittent bleeding) with L-Glutamine, Glycine (10-15g) Colostrum and a igG supplement

I figure if it's bowel cancer my marker will be elevated in several months time and will gradually get higher and if not, it would be IBD/IBS/SIFO/SIBO and my endoscope already gave the all clear for my stomach/esophagus. In case of IBD/SIFO/SIBO I can check some GI-Mapping markers or take a SIBO test. SIFO I was recently diagnosed with through some strange russian based blood test for SIBO. Every 3-4 month checkups for regular bloods too.
Do you feel the colostrum has helped at all?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

The major problem is that I have moved around alot, and every doctor has wanted their own imaging. Absolutely ridiculous. And there has never really been concrete answers.

Gustav3Y

The major problem is that I have moved around alot, and every doctor has wanted their own imaging. Absolutely ridiculous. And there has never really been concrete answers.

I tested to see if one sticks to a doctor for a very long time is more advantageous than going to new ones and there is none in my case.
Even if I stick to the same doctor they still act like I tell them information that they never heard before from me.
However considering the invasive nature of all these "scopies" it must be very hard to repeat.

KCM

Do you feel the colostrum has helped at all?

Hard to say what exactly helped the marker go down or if it was just luck and I tested it when I wasn't bleeding but it could definitely have helped

If I was in your position i'd get a FIT test done. If no elevated marker for bleeding then I don't see the reason to go through with another colonoscopy. Even if there is bleeding it depends on the level, depends on what you're excreting when going to the bathroom, depends on severity of it and if another diagnostic method would be good enough. A simulated CT colonoscopy could perhaps be a viable alternative since you've already had that area mapped out so thoroughly.

So far I've had far more value out of G.I Mapping, SIBO testing (including a gas chromatography mass spectrometry test for SIBO/SIFO) but this seems very difficult to get done, I had to travel for mine. Главная < link to the information on the gas chromatography SIBO test

supercoolguy

I'm 36 and have had severe stomach issues for a long time. I'm always in pain through my entire digestive tract. I've had 9 colonsocpies from ages 18-28, but haven't had one in 8 years. I'm debating getting one just because my stomach definitely hasn't gotten better, but I don't want to keep going through these invasive procedures. I do always worry about deeper issues with my stomach developing though. Stuck here between wanting one and not wanting one.

Look into advanced Ultrasound. Its about the safest thing i can find.
Problem is finding skilled practitioners with the best equipment.

oxphoser

I’ve heard Dr Peat discourage this procedure in at least one interview. It’s plausible that having had so many already contributed to your ongoing ill health. You may have scar tissue which could be managed by stomach massages. There are many videos on how to do stomach massage on youtube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZpJQgWw3Lk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5VP5Jc6_1Q

Thanks for this! I am going to try it. I was told by my MD to get a colonoscopy because my reticulocyte count is up whch I think means I am bleeding somewhere but I refused. This is a great discussion.

P

Peatness

Thanks for this! I am going to try it. I was told by my MD to get a colonoscopy because my reticulocyte count is up whch I think means I am bleeding somewhere but I refused. This is a great discussion.
You're welcome. Gelatin is great for healing the gut. Zinc and magnesium too. Search haidut's posts for more information

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals