Coconut Oil vs Medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) extracted from coconut oil

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I am not sure about ‘extracted’, I think some manufacturers are using fractional oils to get more MCT out of coconut oils. Like Whole Foods brand 365 organic MCT:

“Organic medium chain triglycerides from fractionated expeller pressed coconut oil, organic natural flavor”

Is this still ‘organic’ after being fractionated??

OP
K

Kris

I am not sure about ‘extracted’, I think some manufacturers are using fractional oils to get more MCT out of coconut oils. Like Whole Foods brand 365 organic MCT:

“Organic medium chain triglycerides from fractionated expeller pressed coconut oil, organic natural flavor”

Is this still ‘organic’ after being fractionated??

coconut oil is always 'organic'. and it is irrelevent if it is cold pressed or not, because it is resistant to temperature. here in Thailand, there is so much of that stuff. But it is not cheap. They mostly use palm oil for cooking, which is actually a very good oil.

yerrag

MCT oil is of lower molecular weight. While it has the antibacterial medium chain fractions, it is quickly metabolized by the liver and so the antibacterial action from ingesting it is not realized.

A lot of studies on antibacterial properties of MCT oil based on in vitro studies should IMHO be discarded when it involves ingestion of MCTs. But for topical use and as a carrier oil for essential oils, it would be useful.

Also, MCT oils don't have a heavy smell. Maybe the process of fractionation MCT oil also includes an odor removing step. So for people who object to the smell of coconut oil, using MCT oil offers a smell free option.

For me, virgin coconut oil works out just fine.

OP
K

Kris

MCT oil is of lower molecular weight. While it has the antibacterial medium chain fractions, it is quickly metabolized by the liver and so the antibacterial action from ingesting it is not realized.

A lot of studies on antibacterial properties of MCT oil based on in vitro studies should IMHO be discarded when it involves ingestion of MCTs. But for topical use and as a carrier oil for essential oils, it would be useful.

Also, MCT oils don't have a heavy smell. Maybe the process of fractionation MCT oil also includes an odor removing step. So for people who object to the smell of coconut oil, using MCT oil offers a smell free option.

For me, virgin coconut oil works out just fine.

so are you are you saying that MCT offers the same benefits as coconut oil? ps. CO is always virgin. it is not like with olive oil.

yerrag

so are you are you saying that MCT offers the same benefits as coconut oil? ps. CO is always virgin. it is not like with olive oil.
I'm saying that MCT oil is as what I say it is- made of medium chain triglycerides. Taken orally, it offers no antibacterial benefits as it gets metabolized before it has the chance to confer its antibacterial benefits internally.

Paying extra for MCT oil isn't worth it except for uses I mentioned earlier.

Coconut oil isn't always virgin. Refined coconut oil comes from copra which is mature coconut rotting slowly away under a hot and humid environment. It has mold and taking it unprocessed, 'virgin,' is not a good idea. It needs a lot of processing to make it safe to use. It is used safely in cooking .

Virgin coconut oil does not need to undergo processing like heating. I don't know how it's made commercially, but I can make extract vco easily from coconut milk and let the oil slowly separate from the water portion over about 3 days under the sun in a glass gallon jar. I can then put the separated oil and water in a refrigerator and later on remove the solidified oil on the surface. That is as virgin as it gets.

OP
K

Kris

I'm saying that MCT oil is as what I say it is- made of medium chain triglycerides. Taken orally, it offers no antibacterial benefits as it gets metabolized before it has the chance to confer its antibacterial benefits internally.

Paying extra for MCT oil isn't worth it except for uses I mentioned earlier.

Coconut oil isn't always virgin. Refined coconut oil comes from copra which is mature coconut rotting slowly away under a hot and humid environment. It has mold and taking it unprocessed, 'virgin,' is not a good idea. It needs a lot of processing to make it safe to use. It is used safely in cooking .

Virgin coconut oil does not need to undergo processing like heating. I don't know how it's made commercially, but I can make extract vco easily from coconut milk and let the oil slowly separate from the water portion over about 3 days under the sun in a glass gallon jar. I can then put the separated oil and water in a refrigerator and later on remove the solidified oil on the surface. That is as virgin as it gets.
I live at the moment in Thailand. In an Island which yields most coconuts in the country. I can get oil from people who make it locally. I doubt there is much processing involved.

yerrag

I live at the moment in Thailand. In an Island which yields most coconuts in the country. I can get oil from people who make it locally. I doubt there is much processing involved.
That's nice.

I dont know why my lips is allergic to coconut oil. I have been using it more than a decade but just last year when I watch a naturopathic doctor advice against using coconut milk. So i tried removing all coconut and my lips angular cheiltis is now controlled. Im still learning but really surprise im reacting badly to coconut oil and all those years im so clueless because its the boom of healthiest oil.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
coconut oil is always 'organic'. and it is irrelevent if it is cold pressed or not, because it is resistant to temperature. here in Thailand, there is so much of that stuff. But it is not cheap. They mostly use palm oil for cooking, which is actually a very good oil.
My comment on ‘extracted’ is about how to obtain the MCT portion of the already cold or hot pressed coconut oil and not about how it was pressed. Furthermore, I showed that the coconut oil undergoes a ‘fractionation’ process after which it is debatable, whether to consider it still being ‘organic’ since it underwent an ‘unnatural’ manufacturing process.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals