Coconut Oil And Anxiety/Panic Attacks

bohogirl

Does anyone or did anyone notice this from coconut oil?

I have been cooking with coconut for awhile now, frying eggs mostly. Before I would use coconut oil to bake sweet potatoes. I am fine eating it that way.

I started to take coconut oil with a carrot recently again (I've done so in the past, nothing religious though, and off and on and just basically here and there and no negative reaction from what I recall - but that could've been before health started going downhill). I would take it mostly in the evening, around 8-9pm. Some days even later. Also along with this I would fry my eggs in it. I started at 1 tbs and I was fine. Sometimes after taking it I would feel warm. I upped to 2 tbs and I started to feel anxious throughout the day. I brought it back down to 1. I skipped some days and then got back on to it. Just the other day after taking 1 tbls I woke up in the middle of the night (always happens between 1-4 am) to the worst panic attack of my life. Not only did I wake up once with a panic attack, I woke up another after having gone back to sleep.

This is the only thing I can think of. I eliminated it again and haven't had one since.

Is it the carrot with the coconut oil combination? Is it too much coconut oil?

Also noticed some heart palpitations, not sure if it is related to coconut oil or not.

T

tca300

Eat more sugar. Coconut oil is most likely raising metabolism and therefore increasing your sugar needs.

Ewelina

Yes, I've noticed a similar thing myself. After eating CO I used to feel a surge of energy but in an unpleasant way. It felt like adrenaline rush or something and I became restless with racing thoughts and cold sweats. If I ate CO in the afternoon I could count on a sleepless night. I also thought that it was simply metabolism speeding up but now I know that my body didn't respond well to CO. After 10 years of eating a lot of it (like 100 gr. a day) I can't tolerate CO anymore. I think I developed an allergic reaction to it bc when I eat it now I have stomach ache, bloated and rumbling gut and all sorts of digestive issues. I think you have to listen to your body and if CO doesn't agree with you don't eat it.

Last edited:

milk_lover

How is your glad bladder? Working well? Are you using the refined version? Virgin CO could be allergic. Some claim it has antibiotics properties. Maybe it's killing bacteria and what you're experiencing is the die off effect? I don't think CO is a must in Peat diet if your PUFA intake is low. If you don't like it and you think it doesn't work well for you, you will be fine. As for the carrot salad, you can try olive oil.

OP
B

bohogirl

I like it because it helps me lose weight. I am using the unrefined version. When I eat it with food it doesn't bother me. I will try taking it earlier in the day and start with a 1/2 tablespoon.

I don't eat any of the seed oils. Only coconut and olive oil. I eat lots of fruits, kefir, eggs. Lately reintroduced liver into my diet. I eat meat and chicken as well. Vegetables here and there but I'm more of a fruit person.

DaveFoster

Absolutely. Almost passed out from dizzines and nausea; it seemed like a psychotic episode. You need to reduce your CO intake significantly. Your body is not ready for that kind of stimulation, and neither is your gut.

OP
B

bohogirl

Going to go in for tests soon for thyroid as I believe I have a thyroid problem and I know CO is supposed to help me.

Jayfish

Interesting. Semi recently I did a similar CO experiment by upping it significantly.

I had 2-3 severe panic attacks and I have never had them before. Taking a poop and then eating a ton of sugar and salt relieved them but they were scary. I eliminated all CO from my diet now, I also believe it to be estrogenic because of the high amount of Lauric acid blocking 5-ar.

Jayfish

I actually didn't connect CO to the panic attacks bUT this makes sense. I just got rid of it because it doesn't add anything to my diet.

OP
B

bohogirl

Jayfish, how much were you taking before and how much did you up it by? Did you notice panic attacks when you were at the lower dose?

Also, what time of day did your panic attacks occur?

(Sorry, I have no idea how to use the quotes on this forum)

OP
B

bohogirl

I've been panic attack prone for several years now. Usually can control it with what I eat. There's a fine line between low blood sugar and panic attacks so I don't know exactly if they are related or what. It always happens in the middle of my sleep.

Jayfish

Bohogirl, I only ever used to to Sautee stuff before and had no reaction. I started eating 2 tbs a day for awhile and that's when I got the panic attacks. They always happened at night, definitely brought on by darkness and stress.

OP
B

bohogirl

Jayfish, how far along with taking 2 tbs would you say they started? Also, when you say at night, during sleep or just during dark hours?

Jayfish

Not long, maybe a week or two. One time it happened right after I feel asleep. I woke up feeling tingly and short of breath and cold. Went to the bathroom and then sat under my red light and ate sugar, bread and salt for awhile and it went away. The next time was just after dark and I could feel it coming on. Light headed, cold, racing heart. It definitely has to do with bloodsugar but I don't think that's everything because I eat a lot of sugar. I think it must have to do with other stuff the CO is doing as well.

InChristAlone

RP has said that adrenaline rushes in the middle of the night can be due to gut irritation. I have found that to be the case.

OP
B

bohogirl

janelle525, any way to fix this?

Sorry I just started getting into Peat and taking his ideas into consideration

InChristAlone

On panic attacks:
Ray Peat - When things are working properly, tissues are activated according to their use in adapting to the environment, and produce CO2 in proportion to their response; CO2 adjusts the blood supply while promoting mitochondrial energy production and regulating energy use. It stimulates normal breathing, while stabilizing (restraining activity of) nerves and other tissues. In the absence of oxygen (or presence of injury that prevents its use), lactate is produced instead of CO2, and displaces CO2 from the system, activating emergency alarm systems, potentially creating vicious circles of hormone changes and inflammation. Intestinal irritation (e.g., undigested food and bacterial toxin) releases large amounts of serotonin. Serotonin (named for its ability to constrict blood vessels) impairs oxygen use and increases lactate production. Hypothyroidism reduces tissues' ability to use oxygen and produce CO2, and slows digestion, increasing a tendency to produce serotonin, which activates stress hormones, etc.
Bag breathing can increase the carbon dioxide in the tissues, helping to reduce lactate production, but stabilizing the metabolic system is the real solution. With high glycogen stores, minor stresses don't tip the system into glycolytic metabolism easily.

tara

According to Peat, you can get significant benefit from just a small amount of coconut oil - eg 1tsp. No need to have more than that if it bothers you in any way. (Or any at all if even a little bothers you.)
As milk_lover said, refined is less likely to give allergic reaction.
I've been panic attack prone for several years now. Usually can control it with what I eat. There's a fine line between low blood sugar and panic attacks so I don't know exactly if they are related or what. It always happens in the middle of my sleep.
When blood sugar drops, stress hormones usually increase to get the fuel supply back online (good survival mechanism).
Night-time mouth-breathing can lower the CO2 levels too much. Panic attacks often (always?) involve hyperventilation/low CO2 levels. Good CO2 levels are required for lots of things, including getting oxygen to tissues and calming nerves.
Combine hyperventilation with stress from low sugar, and some people can tip over the threshold for a panic attack.
Could be other things too, but I think these might be the first to address.

Have you tried a chin strap or a little tape on mouth to keep it shut at night?
How much are you eating through the day - carbs, protein, calories? (cronometer com or similar can be useful as long as you don't believe their (usually low) calorie recommendations.
Tried having something sweet for supper and keeping something sweet (and maybe salty) by the bed in case you wake up hungry/stressed?

I had written a longer post on your other thread but lost it before posting - will try to remember the other thoughts.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals