Coconut Oil And Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Jayfish

When I breathe out through my nose, air only comes out of one nostril. Is this normal?

For the OJ question, not entirely right away. Almost always I will drink OJ if I get a panic attack. Whether it actually works or not, I don't know.

I eat constantly throughout the day and I eat until I'm full. I will try to count it though.

I'm using coconut oil because it's helping me lose a bit of weight and also because people say it is good for thyroid health. I would always eat it with a carrot, but it seems lately when I am eating it that way, it is triggering the panic attacks. Other ways I would eat coconut before would be baking sweet potatoes and frying eggs/liver.

Going to start monitoring my temps/heart rate.

I did eliminate coconut for a few days, and then went back to cooking with it. Sometimes, I would eat a spoon by itself, but I have been panic free since last posting. :)

No its not normal for one nostril to be plugged, it is common though. I have always had clear nostrils, and I noticed that when I got panic attacks I could not breath out of my nose normally, which excasserbated the attack because I most have been hyperventilating. Taking very shallow, slow breaths helped the most with this.

I also drink oj, along with sugar and salt for any panic attack and it helps greatly. Panic attacks for me were always triggered by endorphin because I would also have digestive upset and gas/bloating at the same time.

I would suggest you eliminate coconut oil for awhile and see how you feel. For meal, coconut oil was estrogen, fat and endorphin promoting.

OP
B

bohogirl

No its not normal for one nostril to be plugged, it is common though. I have always had clear nostrils, and I noticed that when I got panic attacks I could not breath out of my nose normally, which excasserbated the attack because I most have been hyperventilating. Taking very shallow, slow breaths helped the most with this.

I also drink oj, along with sugar and salt for any panic attack and it helps greatly. Panic attacks for me were always triggered by endorphin because I would also have digestive upset and gas/bloating at the same time.

I would suggest you eliminate coconut oil for awhile and see how you feel. For meal, coconut oil was estrogen, fat and endorphin promoting.

Before I was able to breathe through my nose, don't know what the heck is causing this.

When I have a panic attack, I do try to breathe deeply and it does have a calming affect. The problem is that its very hard to breathe normally through my nose.

OP
B

bohogirl

Another weird panic attack trigger for me was epsom salt baths/sea salt baths. Don't know how to explain that one.

tallglass13

My very first severe panic attack was when I was dipping my dates in coconut oil, that night around 1:43 a.m. I had the panic attack and had to go to the hospital felt like I was having a heart attack... Well now eight years later... After all of the evidence... I realize that having a high amount of fat in my bloodstream clogs the system, and will impair your respiratory rate and your heart rate .... coconut oil is comparable to vaseline in its viscosity.. imagine that in your bloodstream

lvysaur

I can't remember any incidents with coconut oil, but I don't feel very well when I eat large amounts of butter or olive oil.

Atalanta

My very first severe panic attack was when I was dipping my dates in coconut oil, that night around 1:43 a.m. I had the panic attack and had to go to the hospital felt like I was having a heart attack... Well now eight years later... After all of the evidence... I realize that having a high amount of fat in my bloodstream clogs the system, and will impair your respiratory rate and your heart rate .... coconut oil is comparable to vaseline in its viscosity.. imagine that in your bloodstream

Coconut oil has a melting point of 76F, which is more than 20 degrees lower than human body temperature. How is it possible that the oil will remain viscous inside the bloodstream?

Sucrates

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm probably repeating earlier comments.
I've had some very bad experiences with expensive "extra virgin" coconut oils, anxiety is one part, along with migraine and loose BMs.
It's potentially endotoxin or some other allergen used in the "natural processing". I've never had an issue with KTC standard CO, non-hexane RBD as far as I know.

tara

How often and how long should one practice bag breathing?
Also, might be a stupid question, but for bag breathing, is it breathing in through nose and out through mouth into the bag?
I think it's good to get into the habit of breathing both in an out of the nose all the time. But bag breathing itself should be effective whether you breath through mouth or nose, as long as all the air is going in and out of the bag.
I think the idea is to do it as long as it feels comfortable, and end when it starts to get uncomfortable. Unless you've got a leaky and/or enormous bag, that's likely to be something like a minute or two. I'm not aware of any reason not to do it several times a day (even every hour), unless you have conditions that are specifically triggered by rapidly rising CO2.

I realize that having a high amount of fat in my bloodstream clogs the system, and will impair your respiratory rate and your heart rate .... coconut oil is comparable to vaseline in its viscosity.. imagine that in your bloodstream
I thought coconut oil was the least viscose edible saturated fat at normal body temperature.
High amounts of circulating fat can have various effects in the system, but I think the mechanisms are more to do with their actual biochemical reactions with other molecules, not their physical viscosity? Not recommending high amounts of of fat at once - 1tsp coconut oil may be all that's needed for much of the benefit.

OP
B

bohogirl

So now that it is summer, my coconut oil is now liquid. I will fry 2 eggs in about 3-4 tablespoons (using an actual spoon, not a measuring spoon) and be completely fine.

I've been forgetting to take my temp in the morning. How long should I hold the thermometer in my mouth?

Starting tomorrow I will also log my food and the amount.

tara

I've been forgetting to take my temp in the morning. How long should I hold the thermometer in my mouth?
If it's digital, 5mins+ to stabilise, in my experience.
If it's mercury, I think it may be quicker, but not sure.

OP
B

bohogirl

Thank you so much Tara.

Does Ray Peat still answer emails? Does anyone have his email address?

Mommytofour

Hi!I had a severe reaction to flagyl ten years ago after a miscarriage and turns out I didn't have c diff and didn't need the flagyl but had a seizure on it and it gave me severe anxiety and insomnia and had to take an antidepressant for the first time in my life,recovered got off med and ten years later was training for a half marathon running a ton,drinking lots of coffee. Not eating a whole lot except chicken Marinated in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar a lot! My friend suggested that I put coconut oil in my coffee to give me more energy for a run I did that for a week and then at the end of the week had a massive panic attack and had trouble breathing for two weeks after that it sent me into a downward spiral of anxiety and insomnia and now I'm having to try medicine again I tried to go back on the night I took 10 years ago after the Flagyl and I had a bad reaction to it so I am now forced to try something else . With the trouble breathing and my heart rate speeding up and having a panic attack when I was in the ER I mention the coconut oil because that's the only thing I have done differently and the nurse said coconut oil won't do that to you when I read this I'm here it makes me wonder do you have any suggestions for how I might be able to help reverse what happened to me. Also I reacted badly to the Celexa when I tried it again that week after the coconut oil episode ,good happy because I had too much serotonin in my system from the coconut oil it's all just confusing to me.

Mommytofour

Sorry I was talking into my phone and not typing so I have some grammar punctuation mistakes. But I meant to say I had a bad reaction to the Celexa when I tried to take it a week after I had done the coconut oil

Dobbler

Does coconut oil cause increased depression for any1 else? Seems like even 2 tablespoons of CO is enough to increase my depression and wierd brain symptoms.. Also it makes my stomach bloat and hurt more so can be that too.. is it okey if i dont consume CO at all on Peat diet?

Ukall

Does coconut oil cause increased depression for any1 else? Seems like even 2 tablespoons of CO is enough to increase my depression and wierd brain symptoms.. Also it makes my stomach bloat and hurt more so can be that too.. is it okey if i dont consume CO at all on Peat diet?
I feel somewhat the same. When I put a tiny bit of CO in my mouth, I can already feel my stomach heavier. I don't gag (like my mum) and can swallow it, but it really feels heavy on my stomach since the very beginning. After eating it, I feel like my head is heavy too and mildly hurts if I move it too quickly. Sometimes I also have some random chest pains.

Now, I don't know if the quality of the CO may also be related here...
Or what they call die-off symptoms...

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Just had a similar reaction. I'm only now getting back into proper dieting so my metabolism is probably very low. I poured a larger-than-usual quantity of CO on my mushrooms as I cooked them. Fifteen minutes after my meal, I feel anxious with waves of panic. Light headed. My bowels wake up and I have to rush to the toilet.

The response seems too rapid to be die off. It definitely feels like an adrenaline/metabolic crash type of thing.

This has happened repeatedly over the last few weeks and I think CO was the culprit since I really only use it for mushrooms, which I eat maybe once a week.

InChristAlone

CO is a metabolism booster. I have heard of people just using it as a lotion and feeling hotter. If your body doesn't like that kind of stimulation you will get increased sensitivity to adrenaline and the resulting heart rate increase and shortness of breath which can send people into a panic.

Richard Jehl

I would like to add my experience. I am an irregular user of CO (virgin quality). I (recently) once had a panic attack one or two hours after adding larger amount of CO than usual on a dish made of fresh beans and sea shells, steam cooked.

What is intereresting is that the symptoms and feelings (including cold, elevated heart rate, slight headache in addition to the panic feeling) were exactly the same I experienced earlier in my life when I suffered from an accidental mineral poisoning. Before this episode I never had any panic attack in my life. The first one occured after having accidentally ingested 1 gram of pure cacium mineral in the form of Ethyl-Amino-Phosphate (chelate). This dose is enought to create a heart attack and failure. I experienced atroceous panic state, and fear of getting asleep for the first time in my life. I think my heart rate kept above 120 for 15 days, and at worse reached 180/200. As I wrote in my presentation message, after this episode I could not eat the slightest dose of lipid-concentrated food without getting the panic symptoms back, even half of a macadamia nut. The more unsaturated the fats were, the worst the reactions. The only lipid-concentrated food I could reintroduce daily and slowly was butter (cow and goat).

It took one year for my body to be able to vary food again and almost 2 years if I remember correctly, to be able to eat olive oil in a regular basis. I NOTICED WHAT COULD CREATE THE PANIC as well, were inorganic minerals like phosphates or carbonates used in some CAKES; and also but in rare occasions only...sea foods (fatty acids in sea foods are always very unsaturated).

The main thing I noticed that could calm a panic episode was simply drinking pure water, and urinate if possible.

I experienced the same symptoms with cramps in my legs, but without the panic feeling, after taking large amount of activated charcoal just before going to bed. This was a mistake because you have to drink plenty of water in the hours following charcoal intake, so it is not a good idea to take it just a few minutes before bedtime. I could calm my very fast heart rate by drinking water, every 2 minutes for half an hour.

By the way I am a bit surprised not to see more topics on the importance of the composition of the water we drink. One of the first and main weapon for a healthy diet is to always drink water very low in inorganic mineral content. Inorganic forms of calcium (carbonates and phosphates) is what chemically speaking accumulates the most in the body during life, and is what is truly responsible for loss of suppleness, all-tissues cristallization : body aging, and finally death. Even when cells die, they open doors so to speak to the caclium ion which then enters and brings death. Calcium is the real death bringer in the biological functions, which is now recognized by researchers. It is not wise at all to take calcium-only supplements, and totally foolish to take carbonates or phosphates forms. Accelerated body aging is then insured. As a naturotherapist I often observed arthrosis symptoms appearing following inorganic calcium daily intakes (some veggie yogurts), and disappearing as soon as the intakes were stopped.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals