Medium-chain Triglyceride Supplementation Under A Low-carbohydrate Formula Is A Promising Therapy

paymanz

Medium-chain triglyceride supplementation under a low-carbohydrate formula is a promising therapy for adult-onset type II citrullinemia

Results

One of the patients displaying hyperammonemic encephalopathy completely recovered with all normal laboratory findings. Others notably improved in terms of clinical and or laboratory findings with no hyperammonemic symptoms; however, the patients displayed persistent mild citrullinemia and occasionally had postprandial mild hyperammonemia most likely due to an irreversible change in the liver.
Conclusions

An MCT supplement can provide energy to hepatocytes and promote hepatic lipogenesis, leading to a reduction in the cytosolic NADH/NAD+ ratio. MCT supplementation under a low-carbohydrate formula could be a promising therapy for CTLN2 and should also be used to prevent CTLN2 to avoid irreversible liver damage.

nomoreketones

promote hepatic lipogenesis, leading to a reduction in the cytosolic NADH/NAD+ ratio

Isn't this a bad thing? I know this study was low carb related but if MCT oil promotes hepatic lipogenesis couldn't that lead to more belly fat and less liver glycogen?

OP
P

paymanz

Isn't this a bad thing? I know this study was low carb related but if MCT oil promotes hepatic lipogenesis couldn't that lead to more belly fat and less liver glycogen?

lowering nadh/nad+ ratio is very interesting topic, and lipogenesis is relatively protective process i think, unlike lipolysis which increase free fatty acid.i think the point authors want imply is that in a low carb diet (stressful situation)which can cause lipolysis , mct oil can inhibit that and shift it to lipogenesis and moreover reduce nadh/nad+ ratio.

ray have talked a lot on lipolysis and resulted free fatty acid effect on body.

OP
P

paymanz

@nomoreketones i have to add that in ray's philosophy inhibiting free fatty acid and damage that they can do to body is much more important than belly fat and looking fit.

in that view a person can be 'fat and healthy' ! or vice versa , 'fit but unhealthy'.healthy here more means:have high physical and mental energy for example...

@nomoreketones i have to add that in ray's philosophy inhibiting free fatty acid and damage that they can do to body is much more important than belly fat and looking fit.

in that view a person can be 'fat and healthy' ! or vice versa , 'fit but unhealthy'.healthy here more means:have high physical and mental energy for example...

Fact is, fat and healthy people are everywhere, and aging well too. Thin people are not nearly as healthy, usually.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Fact is, fat and healthy people are everywhere, and aging well too. Thin people are not nearly as healthy, usually.
I tend to agree and think that problems arise when people go to extreme lengths to change their natural body type to fit a certain ideal or the scale instead of what is truly healthy for them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom