Coca Cola Lowers Blood My Blood Sugar?

Kasper

I just bought a little blood glucose meter out of interest.

At 12:22 I drank 0.5L Coca Cola. And my blood glucose was 5.7 (I had breakfast at 09:30).

12:46 6.6
13:00 5.2
13:15 4.2

Is this normal? I would suspect it should go up not down like this. I didn't ingest any other food or supps in this experiment. I also checked my temp at 13:00, and it was 37.0 degree so metabolism seem to work normal.

OP
K

Kasper

Tested again at 13:30, and it is now 5.4.

Luna

Ideas for future Controls:
Plain water
Soda water
Soda water + sugar

And Hypotheses:
Soda water + sugar (grams) in the same grams as coca cola's sugar (grams)
Sprite/7-Up, soft drink without food colouring.
Coca cola

DaveFoster

Could be a lowering of adrenaline and glucagon, which artificially raise your blood sugar. Just a thought.

OP
K

Kasper

Hmm i did another experiment with ice cream, and there the curve was more as expected, peaking at an hour at 6.8. And back at 5 after 2 hours. I will try coca cola again tomorrow.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
IIRC, it has been said around here, or maybe it was Ray Peat. That when drinking a Mexican coke more sugar is needed.

OP
K

Kasper

IIRC, it has been said around here, or maybe it was Ray Peat. That when drinking a Mexican coke more sugar is needed.

is there a difference between dutch and mexican coke? is not all coke the same?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
is there a difference between dutch and mexican coke? is not all coke the same?
I do not know if Dutch is the same, is it made with real sugar? The reason why Mexican coke is preferred to just regular Coke made in the USA is that Mexican Coke uses real sugar as opposed to USA uses HFCS.

OP
K

Kasper

I do not know if Dutch is the same, is it made with real sugar? The reason why Mexican coke is preferred to just regular Coke made in the USA is that Mexican Coke uses real sugar as opposed to USA uses HFCS.

Oh I thought that high fructose was better, no? Doesnt high fructose mean less sugar peak?

Anyway on the bottle, it says "sugar" as ingredient.

tara

My guess is that is not the coke that lowered your blood sugars, but the length of time since breakfast.
I would not expect 1/2 l coke would be enough to keep me going from breakfast at 9:30 till 13:00.

Ukall

Btw, did you check your pulse and body temperature also? I mean, what if your metabolism accelerates when you ingest the cola and hence your blood sugar drops?
This comparison may not make sense, but speaking for myself, when I ate the Carrot + CO Salad, I read people saying here that it accelerates our metabolism (and I think indeed, it did accelerate mine) and, because of that, we need to take some sugar with it (I had a little panic attack - fast heart beating - and I became very pale - drop on my blood sugar (?)). Just guessing.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kasper

My guess is that is not the coke that lowered your blood sugars, but the length of time since breakfast.
I would not expect 1/2 l coke would be enough to keep me going from breakfast at 9:30 till 13:00.

I think you are right. I was just very hungry. I have done some more tests, and if I'm more "full" and take a coca cola, it can spike my blood sugar much more and much longer. Like up to 7.8 at my highest point.

By the way, Ray Peat is totally right as it comes to the effect of sugar on my blood sugar. If I take a meal every 3 hours (orange juice + skim milk + gelatin), it is like 4-5 at the beginning, 5-6 after an hour, and back to 4-5 after two hours. Very gently spike and back to normal very fast.

I have done one test with potatoes fried in MUFA high oil (high oleic sunflower oil so also quite some PUFA :facepalm: ). It went up to 7-8 for a long time. Even after 3 hours it was still 6.8.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals