Blood Work. High AST & ALT Levels? Liver Damage?

CHEESEHEAD69

Could you please have a look and give me some input into blood work results

My AST (SGOT) is 133 which is 3 times the upper limit of normal range (0-40). And my ALT (SGPT) is 94 which is 2 times the upper limit of the normal range (0-44).

Do I have a damaged liver? Is this just inflammation?

I do not have any symptoms, no stomach aches, no yellowing of skin, and I do not drink any alcohol.
I'm 19 years old and on a bodybuilding diet, eating 4-5 meals a day

Diet consists of:
Daily: 4 eggs, feta cheese, bread, 5-10 cups milk, canned tuna, chicken, nuts, fruits (banana, orange juice, dates), whey protein isolate shake with half & half cream and milk, gallon of water
Occasionally (once/twice a week): Steak, beef liver, rice, fast food, cakes/sweets

Supplements:
Daily: copper (2mg), vit E(200IU), boron(3mg), fenugreek(500mg), niacinamide (1000mg)
Occasionally(once/twice a week): vit D(10,000 IU), vit K2(15,000mcg), biotin(10,000 mcg), glycine, aspirin, vit C(1000 mg), magnesium(400mg), selenium(200mg), taurine(1000mg), iodine(200mg), (zinc30mg)

I am also in "bulking mode" now and have put on ~15-20 lbs in the past month (before my blood test)
I consume about 200g protein a day and I don't count carbs or fats
I train intense bodybuilding style 40 minutes a day.

I suspect my liver is working overtime because of sheer amount of food and supplements i'm consuming? or maybe one of my supplements is faulty? I haven't had any symptoms of anything and these number seem very concerning.

Curious to hear your thoughts...

RESULTS

TSH: 2.09(range 0.450-4.5)
T4, Free (direct): 1.17(range 0.93-1.60)

Glucose: 90(range 65-99)
BUN: 18(range 6-20)
Creatinine: 0.92(range 0.76-1.27)
BUN/Creatinine ratio: 20(range 9-20)
Sodium: 137(range 134-144)
Potassium: 5.0(range 3.5-5.2)
Chloride: 99(range 96-106)
Carbon Dioxide, total: 26(range 20-29)
Calcium: 10.3(range 8.7-10.2)
Protein, Total: 7.0(range 6.0-8.5)
Albumin: 4.7(range 4.1-5.2)
Globulin, Total: 2.3(range 1.5-4.5)
A/G Ratio: 2.0(range 1.2-2.2)
Bilirubin: 0.6(range 0.0-1.2)
Alkaline Phosphatase: 95(range 39-117)
AST (SGOT): 133(range 0-40)
ALT(SGPT): 94 (range 0-44)

Cholesterol, Total: 180(range 100-169)

Triglycerides: 61(range 0.0-89)
HDL Cholesterol: 55(range >39)
VLDL Cholesterol: 12(range 5-40)
LDL Cholesterol: 113(range 0-109)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy: 53.3 (range 30-100)

WBC: 6.1(range 3.4-10.8)
RBC: 5.38(range 4.14-5.8)
Hemoglobin:15.9(range 13-17.7)
Hematocrit: 46.6(range 37.5-51)
MCV: 87(range 79-97)
MCH: 29.6(range 26.6-33)
MCHC: 34.1(range 31.5-35.7)
RDW: 13.1(range 11.6-15.4)
Platelets: 288(range 150-450)
Neurtophils: 53
Lymphs: 34
Monocytes: 9
EOS:3
Basos:1
Immature Granulocytes: 0
Neutrophils (absolute): 3.3(range 1.4-7.0)
Lymphs (absolute): 2.1(range 0.7-3.1)
Monocytes (absolute): 0.5(range 0.1-0.9)
EOS (absolute): .2(range 0.0-0.4)
Basos (absolute): 0.0 (range 0.0-0.2)
Immature Grans (absolute): 0.0(range 0.0-0.1)

Last edited:

Maljam

Even though they seem scary, your liver enzymes are only raised mildly, but they do need to be fixed. Why did you get the blood test if you have no symptoms?

I would possibly think maybe the 40 minutes intense bodybuilding a day has something to do with it, or possibly one of your supplements, although nothing immediately stands out, you are taking a lot. I'd ease off the working out and drop the supps for a month and retest.

You haven't taken any pharmaceuticals recently have you? Antibiotics, acetaminophen? Have you ever had your iron tested?

Last edited:

Fidelio

Since you said you are bulking I assume you resistance train. Liver enzymes are transiently elevated for a few days post muscle breakdown.

Nothing to worry about, it’s completely normal.

Blood Donation - Higher Testosterone Levels?

"Giving blood forces your body to make a new pint, so giving blood is like getting an oil change for your car. In fact probably better for the giver than the receiver. Giving platelets is a longer time, but they filter out the platelets and give you back most of the volume. When people have an overabundance of iron they fair much better getting rid of the iron. A lady at church was real dark, looked like her liver was failing and they sent her to donate often and she lightened up after donations."

OP
CHEESEHEAD69

CHEESEHEAD69

Even though they seem scary, your liver enzymes are only raised mildly, but they do need to be fixed. Why did you get the blood test if you have no symptoms?

I would possibly think maybe the 40 minutes intense bodybuilding a day has something to do with it, or possibly one of your supplements, although nothing immediately stands out, you are taking a lot. I'd ease off the working out and drop the supps for a month and retest.

You haven't taken any pharmaceuticals recently have you? Antibiotics, acetaminophen? Have you ever had your iron tested?

No pharmaceuticals or antibiotics being taken. I got tested in the first place just as a checkup. I'm stopping all of my supplements for a month before i get retested. But I don't want to stop my training...

OP
CHEESEHEAD69

CHEESEHEAD69

Since you said you are bulking I assume you resistance train. Liver enzymes are transiently elevated for a few days post muscle breakdown.

Nothing to worry about, it’s completely normal.
"Liver enzymes are transiently elevated for a few days post muscle breakdown." This is very interesting, sometimes I train twice a day too (like Arnold used to) , and i'm definitely putting on a lot of stress on my muscles and causing a lot of breakdown. I will look into this, probably the cause of this elevation... thanks

Maljam

"Liver enzymes are transiently elevated for a few days post muscle breakdown." This is very interesting, sometimes I train twice a day too (like Arnold used to) , and i'm definitely putting on a lot of stress on my muscles and causing a lot of breakdown. I will look into this, probably the cause of this elevation... thanks

That was a quick change of heart :tearsofjoy:

JKX

Why 1g of niacinamide? Unless you're treating something for a short period thats way too much.

yerrag

Your hemoglobin values (Hgb, MCH, MCHC) are high (not on standard of care range, but on Dr. Weatherby (functional medicine)'s cheat sheet.
RBC is also high. RDW as well.

Monocytes high.

BUN high but likely from high protein intake.

I don't know if the high protein intake is causing your blood/ecf to be more acidic, which is causing liver and kidneys to produce more ammonium for use as cation for use to pair with sulfates in order to excrete them with urine as ammonium sulfate, to lower serum/ecf acidity. Perhaps more intake of electrolyte minerals will help - magnesium, potassium, sodium, calcium, or lowering protein intake.

The putative high acidity could also lower CO2 content of blood, causing poor tissue oxygenation and oxygen deficit or hypoxia, which would lead to higher lactic acid production.

This oxygen shortage will cause the kidneys to produce more EPO to signal more production of RBCs as well as hemoglobin.

The high monocyte could be an indication of high endotoxin load from the gut. This is hard to test for though. But if there is high endotoxins, it could be a large load on the liver, and could overwhelm the liver, The inflammation it results in could lead to oxidative stresses that lead to tissue destruction leading to leakage of liver enzymes. Would help to test some inflammatory markers such as LDH and hsCRP.

In the meantime, can take foods rich in insoluble fibers such as pineapple to absorb the endotoxins for fecal excretion as well as take activated charcoal. Carrot salad will help as well.

BUN could also be high from need to breakdown some amino acids such as glutamine to produce ammonia for use by kidneys to expel acids in urine.

tallglass13

Could you please have a look and give me some input into blood work results

My AST (SGOT) is 133 which is 3 times the upper limit of normal range (0-40). And my ALT (SGPT) is 94 which is 2 times the upper limit of the normal range (0-44).

Do I have a damaged liver? Is this just inflammation?

I do not have any symptoms, no stomach aches, no yellowing of skin, and I do not drink any alcohol.
I'm 19 years old and on a bodybuilding diet, eating 4-5 meals a day

Diet consists of:
Daily: 4 eggs, feta cheese, bread, 5-10 cups milk, canned tuna, chicken, nuts, fruits (banana, orange juice, dates), whey protein isolate shake with half & half cream and milk, gallon of water
Occasionally (once/twice a week): Steak, beef liver, rice, fast food, cakes/sweets

Supplements:
Daily: copper (2mg), vit E(200IU), boron(3mg), fenugreek(500mg), niacinamide (1000mg)
Occasionally(once/twice a week): vit D(10,000 IU), vit K2(15,000mcg), biotin(10,000 mcg), glycine, aspirin, vit C(1000 mg), magnesium(400mg), selenium(200mg), taurine(1000mg), iodine(200mg), (zinc30mg)

I am also in "bulking mode" now and have put on ~15-20 lbs in the past month (before my blood test)
I consume about 200g protein a day and I don't count carbs or fats
I train intense bodybuilding style 40 minutes a day.

I suspect my liver is working overtime because of sheer amount of food and supplements i'm consuming? or maybe one of my supplements is faulty? I haven't had any symptoms of anything and these number seem very concerning.

Curious to hear your thoughts...

RESULTS

TSH: 2.09(range 0.450-4.5)
T4, Free (direct): 1.17(range 0.93-1.60)

Glucose: 90(range 65-99)
BUN: 18(range 6-20)
Creatinine: 0.92(range 0.76-1.27)
BUN/Creatinine ratio: 20(range 9-20)
Sodium: 137(range 134-144)
Potassium: 5.0(range 3.5-5.2)
Chloride: 99(range 96-106)
Carbon Dioxide, total: 26(range 20-29)
Calcium: 10.3(range 8.7-10.2)
Protein, Total: 7.0(range 6.0-8.5)
Albumin: 4.7(range 4.1-5.2)
Globulin, Total: 2.3(range 1.5-4.5)
A/G Ratio: 2.0(range 1.2-2.2)
Bilirubin: 0.6(range 0.0-1.2)
Alkaline Phosphatase: 95(range 39-117)
AST (SGOT): 133(range 0-40)
ALT(SGPT): 94 (range 0-44)

Cholesterol, Total: 180(range 100-169)

Triglycerides: 61(range 0.0-89)
HDL Cholesterol: 55(range >39)
VLDL Cholesterol: 12(range 5-40)
LDL Cholesterol: 113(range 0-109)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy: 53.3 (range 30-100)

WBC: 6.1(range 3.4-10.8)
RBC: 5.38(range 4.14-5.8)
Hemoglobin:15.9(range 13-17.7)
Hematocrit: 46.6(range 37.5-51)
MCV: 87(range 79-97)
MCH: 29.6(range 26.6-33)
MCHC: 34.1(range 31.5-35.7)
RDW: 13.1(range 11.6-15.4)
Platelets: 288(range 150-450)
Neurtophils: 53
Lymphs: 34
Monocytes: 9
EOS:3
Basos:1
Immature Granulocytes: 0
Neutrophils (absolute): 3.3(range 1.4-7.0)
Lymphs (absolute): 2.1(range 0.7-3.1)
Monocytes (absolute): 0.5(range 0.1-0.9)
EOS (absolute): .2(range 0.0-0.4)
Basos (absolute): 0.0 (range 0.0-0.2)
Immature Grans (absolute): 0.0(range 0.0-0.1)
I think you would be prudent to check your pth... ParathyroidHormone is important and your calcium is high, liver enzymes are up, I think it would be important to check that.

yerrag

Your hemoglobin values (Hgb, MCH, MCHC) are high (not on standard of care range, but on Dr. Weatherby (functional medicine)'s cheat sheet.
RBC is also high. RDW as well.

Monocytes high.

BUN high but likely from high protein intake.

I don't know if the high protein intake is causing your blood/ecf to be more acidic, which is causing liver and kidneys to produce more ammonium for use as cation for use to pair with sulfates in order to excrete them with urine as ammonium sulfate, to lower serum/ecf acidity. Perhaps more intake of electrolyte minerals will help - magnesium, potassium, sodium, calcium, or lowering protein intake.

The putative high acidity could also lower CO2 content of blood, causing poor tissue oxygenation and oxygen deficit or hypoxia, which would lead to higher lactic acid production.

This oxygen shortage will cause the kidneys to produce more EPO to signal more production of RBCs as well as hemoglobin.

The high monocyte could be an indication of high endotoxin load from the gut. This is hard to test for though. But if there is high endotoxins, it could be a large load on the liver, and could overwhelm the liver, The inflammation it results in could lead to oxidative stresses that lead to tissue destruction leading to leakage of liver enzymes. Would help to test some inflammatory markers such as LDH and hsCRP.

In the meantime, can take foods rich in insoluble fibers such as pineapple to absorb the endotoxins for fecal excretion as well as take activated charcoal. Carrot salad will help as well.

BUN could also be high from need to breakdown some amino acids such as glutamine to produce ammonia for use by kidneys to expel acids in urine.
Check urine pH. Optimal around 6.4-6.8. Order a test strip at Amazon. Hydrion brand pH 5-8

OP
CHEESEHEAD69

CHEESEHEAD69

Check urine pH. Optimal around 6.4-6.8. Order a test strip at Amazon. Hydrion brand pH 5-8
I actually had a urinalysis done forgot to include.

Specific Gravity: 1.018 (range 1.005-1.03)
pH: 8.0(range 5.0-7.5)
urobilinogen, Semi-Qn: 0.2(range 0.2-1.0)

My urine PH is high at 8.0. What means?

And i'll listen to your recommendation by lowering protein , upping electrolyte minerals, pineapples, carrot salad, activated charcoal, I will see if helps since I am retesting in a month, you also said to up calcium but my calcium levels was 10.3 above the recommended range its good to go higher?

Someone also said: "Liver enzymes are transiently elevated for a few days post muscle breakdown." You think his could be the case?

Also how does one end up w/ high endotoxins?

OP
CHEESEHEAD69

CHEESEHEAD69

Blood Donation - Higher Testosterone Levels?

"Giving blood forces your body to make a new pint, so giving blood is like getting an oil change for your car. In fact probably better for the giver than the receiver. Giving platelets is a longer time, but they filter out the platelets and give you back most of the volume. When people have an overabundance of iron they fair much better getting rid of the iron. A lady at church was real dark, looked like her liver was failing and they sent her to donate often and she lightened up after donations."
Yes on my last blood test from a few months ago I had Ferritin, Serum level 206 range(16-124) which i believe is related to iron overload. I will try to give blood ASAP.

yerrag

I actually had a urinalysis done forgot to include.

Specific Gravity: 1.018 (range 1.005-1.03)
pH: 8.0(range 5.0-7.5)
urobilinogen, Semi-Qn: 0.2(range 0.2-1.0)

My urine PH is high at 8.0. What means?

The presence of bacteria in the urinary bladder could increase urine pH to that level. That happens mostly to elderly people with UTI issues. I doubt it applies to you, but I still wouldn't rule it out. Another possibility is with intake of plenty of fruit and vegetable juices, which are alkaline. But that isn't you though. I'd expect your pH to turn on the acidic side, given the high protein intake.

Your urinalysis should have info on bacteria. What does it say?

Lastly, when you test urine pH, it's not done once during the day as the urine pH will fluctuate. That's why doing your own urine test allows you to do test throughout the day.

And i'll listen to your recommendation by lowering protein , upping electrolyte minerals, pineapples, carrot salad, activated charcoal, I will see if helps since I am retesting in a month, you also said to up calcium but my calcium levels was 10.3 above the recommended range its good to go higher?
Yea about calcium. You're drinking a lot of milk too.

Speaking of milk, I recently learned about milk containing bovine serum albumin which could cause allergies. But allergies are just one form of hypersensitivity arising from the immune system's reaction involving immune complexes. On a more serious level, the immune complexes made by the immune system in response to an antigen (of which serum bovine albumin can be one in some individuals) could also cause inflammation leading to oxidative stresses and tissue destruction. I'm not sure, as I'm just beginning to explore this possibility, but I'm starting to think the effects could be the same as the effect of LPS, and one could mistake one for the other. Since you're drinking a lot of milk, it may be something you'd want to investigate later on. I say later on, as you're already making some changes now, and this is a remote possibility.

Someone also said: "Liver enzymes are transiently elevated for a few days post muscle breakdown." You think his could be the case?

I don't have a personal experience with it, so I really can't say. But liver enzymes being that high concerns me and I wouldn't want to brush it off lightly.

For all you know, you're eating a lot of protein and you're making your liver and kidneys work a lot more. It would be fine if your liver and kidneys are in tip top shape, but if they're not, you're subjecting them to a lot of stress. If there's a lot of inflammatory and oxidative stresses in your liver, more work for the liver from a high dietary load won't help.

You may also want to consider giving your liver a break for now, lighten up on its load, and begin troubleshooting so that you can find the cause of high enzymes so you can eliminate the cause and get your liver back in shape.

Also how does one end up w/ high endotoxins?

Our gut contains many microbes. Hopefully they are all in balance. Even if they're in balance, they shouldn't overpopulate. The more so if they're not in balance.

Eating a lot of carbs high in soluble fibers cause the gut to contain fibers that expand and become a breeding ground for bacteria. This increases bacterial gut population. There is a constant churn where bacteria die, and when gram-negative bacteria die, they produce endotoxins. These endotoxins translocate to the blood stream.

S-VV

Have you been tested for Hepatitis A, B and C? And anti mitochondrial antibodies (for PBC)?

Xavage

@CHEESEHEAD69 this is the same as me right now. The doctor says I've got high AST and ALT + low hepatitis antibodies. What ended up happening with you? What was your insight or understanding? Did you have liver damage?

OP
CHEESEHEAD69

CHEESEHEAD69

@CHEESEHEAD69 this is the same as me right now. The doctor says I've got high AST and ALT + low hepatitis antibodies. What ended up happening with you? What was your insight or understanding? Did you have liver damage?
my numbers was 133 and 94 as u read above, so not that high relative to an alcoholic whose numbers can be in the thousands, it was definitely a food/supplement intake issue for me, probably a nasty amazon supplement i had ordered, i suspect it was my Vitamin E supplement (peat has said and other people have confirmed that modern vitamin E supplements can actually be harmful and toxic).

I made this post around when i first found peat, i was 19 and real excited about his stuff, so i ended up buying a lot of vitamins and random ***t he recommended from amazon thinking it help me become better overall, but i hadn't really understood or incorporated his diet yet. I was still eating bread/ rice/ beans/ cereal /nuts and just starches in general (which he says you should stay away from) and lots of junk food, and I taking all these random amazon vitamins, it was probably a lot for my gut/liver or poisoning from one of the supplements. (BTW i dont drink).

So after my blood test I ended up
1. Stopping all my supplements except vitamin D
2. I started to drink alot of whole milk and orange juice (squeezed myself from real oranges)
3. Cut out alot of the starches and junk food cravings, and them replaced with fruits (tangerines/mangos/kiwis/pineapple/orange juice) and also had a alot of milk mixed with white sugar (healthier carbs+metabolism boost)
4. I stopped drinking protein shakes with this whey that i got from Costco (honestly it could have been the whey protein who knows where that stuff comes from) and instead now i make a protein shake with 6 raw eggs and a banana or some berries and some milk.
5. I still kept my protein high because i was trying to bodybuilding

Next blood test i was totally fine my numbers back to normal.

IDK if you take any supplements but if you do you should check out Haiduts supplements at IdeaLabs Online Store - Cosmetic Raw Ingredients as an alternative to amazon supplements, so your problem doesnt come back in the future. i only use this Vitamin D, and this aspirin from amazon, everything else i get from IdeaLabs Online Store - Cosmetic Raw Ingredients. Also liver is one of your strongest organs and can regenerate itself so you shouldn't worry if you numbers are around what mine were beacuse i'm totally healthy and strong rn, and since the time i made this post ive gained ~40 pounds of bodybuilding bulking weight (210lbs to 250lbs now currently), and have no gut/liver problems.

update: Just read your other post , you probably shouldnt get that shot (or any shot infact) your problem can probably 99% be fixed with lifestyle diet supplement changes. Just ignore your doctor (hes re*tarded) and just read this forum and watch danny roddy youtube channel (all his generative energy podcasts)

Last edited:

Xavage

Thanks mate - it appears I had stomach flu 2 weeks ago from either raw liver or seafood so its probably caused by that. My only concern is if I have/had hepatitis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals