Children Drinking Whole Milk Are Leaner Than Ones Drinking Skim Or Low Fat Milk

Inaut

I just started full fat milk. The taste is so satisfying....It helps me bulk up too :)

My concern is acne but I think it has more to do with my liver than the milk

schultz

Doesn’t it get destroyed during pasteurization though?

Vitamin K is very heat stable. You can boil greens and it is unaffected. Pasteurization is nothing compared to boiling. In Canada it is 161 degrees for 16 seconds, which is not even close to boiling. UHT is more like 300 degrees F for 1 or 2 seconds. I make ricotta pie at 300 degrees for 1 hour lol.

bistecca

Ithe Organic Valley "Cream on Top" milk has been discontinued, and you can only get the homogenized, ultra pasteurized version.

I was, until recently, purchasing the organic valley Grassmilk, whole non-homogenized, and I was very happy. I actually noticed a long while back that shopping at one larger grocer and buying the "whole grassmilk" it was upsetting my stomach in the morning with my coffee. I would gag when brushing my teeth/tongue after my coffee. I eventually noticed that it didn't tend to have the cream on top and eventually realized how miniscule the difference in labeling was saying "homogenized".. I would visit another smaller niche organic grocer who carried the whole grassmilk in non-homogenized and buy that instead and it was just fine. They recently stopped carrying the non-hom version as well in favor of the homogenized version. I'm pissed but I guess this will be the straw that finally breaks my back and forces me to buy some ******* cows. Guess it's for the best.

michael94

I was, until recently, purchasing the organic valley Grassmilk, whole non-homogenized, and I was very happy. I actually noticed a long while back that shopping at one larger grocer and buying the "whole grassmilk" it was upsetting my stomach in the morning with my coffee. I would gag when brushing my teeth/tongue after my coffee. I eventually noticed that it didn't tend to have the cream on top and eventually realized how miniscule the difference in labeling was saying "homogenized".. I would visit another smaller niche organic grocer who carried the whole grassmilk in non-homogenized and buy that instead and it was just fine. They recently stopped carrying the non-hom version as well in favor of the homogenized version. I'm pissed but I guess this will be the straw that finally breaks my back and forces me to buy some ******* cows. Guess it's for the best.
I noticed that too, when I was buying the brand in Wisconsin and after moving back to California for a while it was non-homogenized. But eventually here in California even whole foods(tm) etc. stopped carrying the cream on top versions.

bistecca

I make ricotta pie at 300 degrees for 1 hour lol.
I don't believe for a second that the pie itself ever reaches 300 degrees. that is presumably the oven temperature. Most protein coagulation reactions set up between 135 and 160. If your pie itself was 300 degrees it would be quite dry.

schultz

I don't believe for a second that the pie itself ever reaches 300 degrees. that is presumably the oven temperature. Most protein coagulation reactions set up between 135 and 160. If your pie itself was 300 degrees it would be quite dry.

That's true, I doubt the pie ever reaches 300. Probably around 190-200 is my guess. I do like it to dry out quite a bit. Wet ricotta pie is not the best.

bistecca

That's true, I doubt the pie ever reaches 300. Probably around 190-200 is my guess. I do like it to dry out quite a bit. Wet ricotta pie is not the best.
Stick a thermometer in there when you're done and you might be surprised what you find. I bet not over 155..

schultz

Stick a thermometer in there when you're done and you might be surprised what you find. I bet not over 155..

I will do so and report back! I need to buy a new thermometer first though because my other one broke.

rei

I'm pissed but I guess this will be the straw that finally breaks my back and forces me to buy some ******* cows.
I have had this urge a couple of times, but have talked myself out of it. I would absolutely love to have raw milk available from the source. But modern laws have so strict requirements it would be a major investment. Like getting a new car. It's just so unfair.

Gone Peating

Vitamin K is very heat stable. You can boil greens and it is unaffected. Pasteurization is nothing compared to boiling. In Canada it is 161 degrees for 16 seconds, which is not even close to boiling. UHT is more like 300 degrees F for 1 or 2 seconds. I make ricotta pie at 300 degrees for 1 hour lol.

Sweet! Good to know thanks

sladerunner69

I think i remember hearing ray or someone say that in reduced fat milk, the vitamins a&d are typically dissolved in some kind of pufa rich oil, because pufa increases the water solubility..

Except then wouldn't they have to include the pufa oil on the ingredients label? If they didn't they would be vulnerable to a lawsuit.

LuMonty

Except then wouldn't they have to include the pufa oil on the ingredients label? If they didn't they would be vulnerable to a lawsuit.
Not if the ingredient is a small enough amount. I moved in the Midwest and mostly all brands of milk have the vitamins dissolved in corn oil.

The same applies to thickeners like xantham gum and carrageenan: small enough amount,by law, doesn't have to be listed.

I've found one local brand out of several that doesn't have the thickeners so I can avoid the oil if I drink whole milk. That's out of three major stores.

sladerunner69

Not if the ingredient is a small enough amount. I moved in the Midwest and mostly all brands of milk have the vitamins dissolved in corn oil.

The same applies to thickeners like xantham gum and carrageenan: small enough amount,by law, doesn't have to be listed.

I've found one local brand out of several that doesn't have the thickeners so I can avoid the oil if I drink whole milk. That's out of three major stores.

What exactly is then, a small enough amount? If we are talking about <1ml of corn oil then I wouldn't be concerned.

LuMonty

What exactly is then, a small enough amount? If we are talking about <1ml of corn oil then I wouldn't be concerned.
I always have to remember that bookmarking gov't stuff is useless. If I go by a patent claiming 1-3% weight of corn oil for dispersal of vitamin A and/or D, then in a gallon of milk, assuming one gallon is about 3785 mL, you'd get 37.85-113.55 mL of corn oil for 1% and 3% respectively. Assuming 1mL=1g for ease of conversion and going by the database I use of 4g (1 tsp) of corn oil having 5g of PUFA, you'd have 9.46 tsp of corn oil times the 5g of fat so minimum of 47g of fat, all PUFA and upwards of 28.39 tsp of corn oil times 5 being 142g of PUFA.

TL;DR assuming 1-3% corn oil by weight, that would be 37.85 mL-113.55mL per gallon. This would be approx. 47g-142g of PUFA per gallon.

Gone Peating

I always have to remember that bookmarking gov't stuff is useless. If I go by a patent claiming 1-3% weight of corn oil for dispersal of vitamin A and/or D, then in a gallon of milk, assuming one gallon is about 3785 mL, you'd get 37.85-113.55 mL of corn oil for 1% and 3% respectively. Assuming 1mL=1g for ease of conversion and going by the database I use of 4g (1 tsp) of corn oil having 5g of PUFA, you'd have 9.46 tsp of corn oil times the 5g of fat so minimum of 47g of fat, all PUFA and upwards of 28.39 tsp of corn oil times 5 being 142g of PUFA.

TL;DR assuming 1-3% corn oil by weight, that would be 37.85 mL-113.55mL per gallon. This would be approx. 47g-142g of PUFA per gallon.

Wait holy ***t this is such a gamechanger how hasn’t this been talked about before?

I think you messed up tho wouldn’t it be 5g pufa per 1tbsp, not 1tsp

LuMonty

Wait holy ***t this is such a gamechanger how hasn’t this been talked about before?

I think you messed up tho wouldn’t it be 5g pufa per 1tbsp, not 1tsp
That was my first reaction as well! According to the usda.gov site and the Self nutrition facts websites, both have corn oil at 5g of fat per tsp and 14g of fat per Tbsp. When those two sites disagree I'll go to something like Cronometer that has user entries but I didn't see the need here.

So 4g weight of corn oil, one teaspoon, has 5g fat which is all PUFA.

Gone Peating

That was my first reaction as well! According to the usda.gov site and the Self nutrition facts websites, both have corn oil at 5g of fat per tsp and 14g of fat per Tbsp. When those two sites disagree I'll go to something like Cronometer that has user entries but I didn't see the need here.

So 4g weight of corn oil, one teaspoon, has 5g fat which is all PUFA.

That’s not possible man... you can’t have 5g of PUFA when you only have 4g of fat overall you know?

Also Idk where you’re getting these numbers from that they add 30-100ml (1-3oz) of oil per gallon. That would be such a waste for them financially. Here is the reply I got from Wegman’s when I asked them awhile ago:

“Thank you for writing. We reached out to our Wegmans milk supplier to find out more about the vitamins used for you.

They use vitamins that are diluted in a mixture of water, propylene glycol, and polysorbate 80. The vitamins are added at their pasteurizer via a small pump. Vitamins are added at a rate of 1mL per 125 gallons.”

LuMonty

That’s not possible man... you can’t have 5g of PUFA when you only have 4g of fat overall you know?

Also Idk where you’re getting these numbers from that they add 30-100ml (1-3oz) of oil per gallon. That would be such a waste for them financially. Here is the reply I got from Wegman’s when I asked them awhile ago:

“Thank you for writing. We reached out to our Wegmans milk supplier to find out more about the vitamins used for you.

They use vitamins that are diluted in a mixture of water, propylene glycol, and polysorbate 80. The vitamins are added at their pasteurizer via a small pump. Vitamins are added at a rate of 1mL per 125 gallons.”
I see what you're saying. A teaspoon is 4g so for it to have 5g of PUFA I assume is rounding. Tablespoon measures show a one-to-one. With that correction this would alter the range to 37.85g-113.55g of PUFA for a gallon of milk.

The issue with the change to polysorbate 80, and in other brands carrageenan, is that they increase gut permeability, feed endotoxin, and all ailments that stem from them. So that means increased serotonin, histamine, inflammation, etc. I assume you're right and the method I'm quoting is wasteful, thus these new methods. Since I last checked, the patent for the corn oil method hasn't been renewed or purchased by someone else so I think we can see less of that method as time goes on.

I'm going to sound like Ray during his small stories, but there was a week I changed half and half brand because the one I usually get is out. Didn't know anything about polysorbate 80. So I was surprised when just about every food started to give me allergic symptoms. I would later repeat the mistake with a Venom energy drink because my wife was trying to treat me and chose my favorite flavor not knowing what the ingredients were.

IMO the PUFA is actually preferable because even on the high end that's only about 1g an oz.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals