Chicken Neck — Thyroid and PUFA

marko9437

Chicken neck is a source of thyroid, but I only have access to store-bought, industrially raised. Neck is one of the fattiest pieces of chicken. Would I be doing more harm with PUFAs than good with the thyroid it has?

Chicken neck is a source of thyroid, but I only have access to store-bought, industrially raised. Neck is one of the fattiest pieces of chicken. Would I be doing more harm with PUFAs than good with the thyroid it has?
I am not sure that store bought chicken necks have any thyroid Mark. I was adding them to my chicken bone broths thinking so too. I buy them online soy and corn free and wrote the company recently to ask if they have any thyroid and they said no.

OP
M

marko9437

Interesting. Yeah, I heard that they remove them, at least in the west. That sounds quite labor-intensive...raising our cost of food for nothing...

I don't think they do it here in the Philippines where I am based.

I guess I'll examine them closely the next time I buy them to see if I can find them or not.

I thought these (pictured) were thyroids, but upon further research, it turns out no, a chicken would only have two thyroid glands, not a bunch.

I'll have to take another look next time.

Attachments

• P_20210505_194907.jpg
    P_20210505_194907.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 48
Interesting. Yeah, I heard that they remove them, at least in the west. That sounds quite labor-intensive...raising our cost of food for nothing...

I don't think they do it here in the Philippines where I am based.

I guess I'll examine them closely the next time I buy them to see if I can find them or not.

I thought these (pictured) were thyroids, but upon further research, it turns out no, a chicken would only have two thyroid glands, not a bunch.

I'll have to take another look next time.
All this time I was hoping I had cleverly found a way to get a bit of natural thyroid, but the search continues!

OP
M

marko9437

All this time I was hoping I had cleverly found a way to get a bit of natural thyroid, but the search continues!

Well that still leaves fish heads, right?

Lately I'm going for the tiny fry fish especially. Seems like a tastier of way of getting some fish heads in.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 21
Well that still leaves fish heads, right?

Lately I'm going for the tiny fry fish especially. Seems like a tastier of way of getting some fish heads in.
Well now you are inspiring me! I don't have access to fish heads, do they have thyroid?

It’s hard to tell if they leave them in or not. I had some the other day for the first time and I don’t think it’s worth the effort for the yield.

OP
M

marko9437

Well now you are inspiring me! I don't have access to fish heads, do they have thyroid?
Yeah, I thought it's common knowledge. But in fish it's not an identifiable gland, instead it's part of the tissue itself. I read it on this very forum.

schultz

In soups you tend to skim the fat off (putting the broth in the fridge overnight and skimming it the following day) so it would have very little fat if consumed this way.

I can never find the thyroid glands in a goats neck when I butcher them. I can't imagine finding a chickens lol.

In soups you tend to skim the fat off (putting the broth in the fridge overnight and skimming it the following day) so it would have very little fat if consumed this way.

I can never find the thyroid glands in a goats neck when I butcher them. I can't imagine finding a chickens lol.

Ha! Ha! I don't know how big they are, but that was funny! I am gonna give that fish head thyroid some consideration ?

Is that you in your member photo?

schultz

Is that you in your member photo?

Yes it is

Ha! Ha! I don't know how big they are, but that was funny! I am gonna give that fish head thyroid some consideration ?

The neck has all kinds of crisscrossing muscles so it all just looks like "meat" to me. Plus I chop the head off with a clever so it tends to look a bit mangled lol.... Next time I will look carefully!

schultz

Yes it is

The neck has all kinds of crisscrossing muscles so it all just looks like "meat" to me. Plus I chop the head off with a clever so it tends to look a bit mangled lol.... Next time I will look carefully!

Should be an 'a' in cleaver. Wouldn't let me edit. :(

Yes it is

Maybe I shouldn't give up home on the chicken necks. Though it gets destroyed during processing, as the company I wrote said, maybe there is some residual thyroid? Take a pic if you find one schultz! Cool member photo. It looks artsy :)

SOMO

If you want to consume thyroid:

1. Whole fish or fish head
2. Sardines/anchovies/canned small fish
3. Order the actual thyroid from meat sellers.

Because of agricultural laws in the US it is almost impossible to find any grocery that carries mammalian thyroid.

I have eaten a thyroid the size of a marble in whole fish and the bone around the neck is strong and I had to use a combination of a knife and my fingers to get the thyroid. Also the thyroid sort of "popped out". Then I had to suck on the hole to get the rest of that juicy flesh.

It tastes like the rest of the meat, maybe less fishy.

It was a lot of effort to acquire the thyroid and I would personally rather supplement, but I happened to have whole fish, so of course I wouldn't let that precious cargo go to waste.

If you want to consume thyroid:

1. Whole fish or fish head
2. Sardines/anchovies/canned small fish
3. Order the actual thyroid from meat sellers.

Because of agricultural laws in the US it is almost impossible to find any grocery that carries mammalian thyroid.

I have eaten a thyroid the size of a marble in whole fish and the bone around the neck is strong and I had to use a combination of a knife and my fingers to get the thyroid. Also the thyroid sort of "popped out". Then I had to suck on the hole to get the rest of that juicy flesh.

It tastes like the rest of the meat, maybe less fishy.

It was a lot of effort to acquire the thyroid and I would personally rather supplement, but I happened to have whole fish, so of course I wouldn't let that precious cargo go to waste.
Well that's interesting. I get whole fish in restaurants. I might have to look for that thyroid next time. Small fish too, good info thanks!

Robert5493

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 7.48.22 PM.png

Thyroids are #5 in the above anatomical picture,
They are found just above the heart attached to the carotid arteries.

This is nowhere near the neck, and would be extremely unlikely to come out with the neck unless also with with esophagus, lungs and heart etc. attached.
I think the glands Ray is referring to in the neck are what @marko9437 posted, thymus glands not thyroid glands.

I found this out while attempting to process birds to save the thyroid, in case my regular wildcrafted supply runs out.

This is not my field though, so anyone who knows anatomy I'd appreciate clarity.
Thanks.

Last edited:
View attachment 42364

Thyroids are #5 in this picture,
They are found just above the heart attached to the carotid arteries.

This is nowhere near the neck, and would be extremely unlikely to come out with the neck unless also with with esophagus, lungs and heart etc. attached.
I think the glands Ray is referring to in the neck are what @marko9437 posted, thymus glands not thyroid glands.

I found this out while attempting to process birds to save the thyroid, in case my regular wildcrafted supply runs out.

This is not my field though, so anyone who knows anatomy I'd appreciate clarity.
Thanks.
That looks so awful! Thanks though for the lesson.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals