Fish heads and chicken necks, oh my!

HDD

I picked up fish heads and carcass for .75 a pound and made fish stock. I made New England Clam Chowder with the stock which everyone ate. I really like it when the whole family eats pro-thyroid food. All except my daughter who didn't eat it because of the dairy. Today, I decided to try another recipe using the fish stock. I had not noticed with the clam chowder because of the hnh that the stock is VERY gelatinous. So, besides thyroid, it has gelatin! The only drawback is that it is fishy.

The chicken necks were .99 a pound. When I started cooking them, the smell reminded me of my mom cooking turkey neck for broth to use in her stuffing at Thanksgiving.I guess fowl necks all smell the same?

Thanks to Jenn and Mittir for recommending these great and inexpensive foods!

Peata

I finally got hold of a chicken neck - when I bought a whole chicken the other day, the neck was inside the body cavity. I already cooked the chicken, but kept the neck back to try for the thyroid in it. I couldn't find this recipe you were talking about. But by making a broth, the thryoid will be in the broth?

HDD

That is what I buy, Daimyo. Mittir mentions buying more of the chicken to make sure thyroid gland is included.

Mittir said:
I was using store bought neck to make chicken soup and noticed the
intensity of effect was varying. Chicken's thyroid glands is at the base of
the neck. If they cut the neck little bit above then thyroid gland might be
missing. I am planning on using the whole neck including ribcage for future soups.

Waremu

Anyone know how much PUFA a is in chicken necks? I looked it up and one website said 0.5g for the meat of the neck and the orher website said 1.5g PUFA. I try to keep PUFA a very very low, as I am on a very very low fat protocol right now. But I suppose I could always take the thyroid out and leave the neck behind and just boil the thyroid to get the hormones out without any PUFA.

Anyone knows how heat stable thyroid hormone is?

HDD

I cool the broth and remove the fat that solidifies on the top. I use the broth in soups but discard the rest or give it to my dogs.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Fish antibiotics Ask For Help or Advice 56
GelatinGoblin Which fish is best to eat in-terms of PUFA, Mercury? And maybe pollution, nuclear waste... Seafood 4
W In The USSR, If You Wanted Dessert, Then You Took Fish Oil! Society 18
Lokzo Fish Oil Supplements Improve Testicular Health: Study Of 1,679 Healthy Young Men Scientific Studies 30
J Bumpy Skin And White Fish/Iodine Skin 0
md_a Fish Oil-Fed Mice Have Impaired Resistance To Influenza Infection Scientific Studies 0
Fletcher Fish Oil Supplements Offer 'little Or No Benefit' Against Cancer Diet, Recipes 3
J Prostatitis And Fish Oil Ask For Help or Advice 48
Kingpinguin Looking At Birds To Understand PUFA? High Body Temp Still Eats Seeds And Fatty Fish Animals 59
C Is Fish Something To Be Avoided Or Included? Diet 0
A Emodin Even Rescues Fish From Oxidized Fish Oil Scientific Studies 1
haidut Fish Feel Pain Just Like Other Animals And Humans Scientific Studies 15
Peatogenic Fish Head Broth Recipes 2
T Pregnancy, Omega-3/DHA/Fish Oil, Child Development Diet 14
DaveFoster John McDougall: Toxic Effects Of Vegetable And Fish Oils Fats 3
J Fish Oil Supplements 7
Dessert_All_Day Rhonda Patrick Is Mega-dosing Fish Oil Miscellaneous Health Discussions 61
DaveFoster Fish Oil Attenuates "Brain Zaps" From Antidepressant Withdrawal Articles & Scientific Studies 4
M Is Omega-3 Fish Oil Bad? Ask For Help or Advice 94
AlphaCog High Intake Of Fatty Fish, But Not Of Lean Fish, Reduced TAG And Increased HDL-cholesterol Scientific Studies 1
T Fish “Umbrella” Protects Stem Cells From Sun Scientific Studies 0
L Can't Stop Fish Oil Supplementation Diet 30
SOMO "Fermented" Fish Oil/Oxidized PUFA Causes 5 Heart Attacks Diet 13
haidut The Protein In Fish, Not Omega-3, May Be Protective Against Brain Disease Scientific Studies 15
Mito Fish Oil (DHA) Fails To Help In A Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial Articles & Scientific Studies 0
W Fish And Dairy Diet, Recipes 8
D Am I Right To Assume That A 1000mg Fish Oil = 1 Gram Of PUFA? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 18
GutFeeling Good News If U Live In A Hot Place, Brazilian Fish Contain 0,01 Pufa Per 100g Seafood 6
T Omega 3 Fish Oil Injection Saves Brain Cells In Mice W/ Stroke Ask For Help or Advice 2
S What Happens To Fish Oil In The Body? Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 1
T Omega-3 Deficiency In Psychiatric Disease, Fish Oil Opinions? Ask For Help or Advice 41
D How To Undo Large Fish Oil Supplementation? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 20
cyclops Stay Away From Raw Fish! Diet 23
M Fish Consumption And Diabetes Risk Health 1
yerrag Do Fish Also Need Carbon Dioxide As Much As We Do? Animals 11
Mito Antidepressants Found In Fish Brains In Great Lakes Region Articles & Scientific Studies 5
R Microplastics Found In Supermarket Fish, Shellfish Diet 5
Westside PUFAs Fish Oil Should Really Be Called Fish Fat The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 5
AJC What Do You Think Of. Fish Gelatin Supplements 3
charlie "Brain-Boosting" Fish Oil In Powdered Formula Milk Making Babies Violently Sick Children 6
A "Stopping Fish Oil Improved My Libido" Miscellaneous Health Discussions 0
A Oily Fish And Erectile Dysfunction Male Issues 9
Luann Raw Fish Lower In Efa Than Cooked Or Broiled Diet 9
yerrag Fish And Chicken And Pork And Avocadoes Diet 22
S How To Wean Off Fish Oil And Evening Primrose Oil Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
P "The Good Thing About Fish Oil Is. " Ray Peat Quotes 7
haidut Childhood Obesity, Rapid Growth Linked To Pregnant Moms Eating Fish Scientific Studies 2
ken New fish oil products on horizon Cheese 1
johnwester130 fish gelatin - can this be used in jelly recipes ? Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 1
haidut Fish Oil Worsens Diabetes Scientific Studies 2