Chicken Liver Instead Of Beef/Lamb Liver?

Logan-

Can chicken liver be used as a substitute for beef liver or lamb or other animals' liver? I seem to tolerate it better.

Dave Clark

Can chicken liver be used as a substitute for beef liver or lamb or other animals' liver? I seem to tolerate it better.
Depends how you define substitute. If you check out the stats, it has less of the nutrients per volume than beef liver, etc.
I suppose it depends on why you are eating it, if you want a big retinol, copper, bang for the buck, I would stay with beef liver, you wouldn't have to eat as much. But chicken liver is better than none. I think because it isn't as dense as beef liver, you can use it more liberally in a culinary sense (most people like the taste of chicken liver better).

OP
L

Logan-

Depends how you define substitute. If you check out the stats, it has less of the nutrients per volume than beef liver, etc.
I suppose it depends on why you are eating it, if you want a big retinol, copper, bang for the buck, I would stay with beef liver, you wouldn't have to eat as much. But chicken liver is better than none. I think because it isn't as dense as beef liver, you can use it more liberally in a culinary sense (most people like the taste of chicken liver better).

what about PUFAs?

Chicken liver contains such a small amount of fat it's okay to have in addition to or instead of beef liver (which should be consumed weekly).

I don't know if RP still thinks that way though.

I have eaten lots of chicken meal for three days this week, and my appetite has been lowered a lot. Is it possible that eating a lot of chicken liver for a few days in nearly every meal to suppress the appetite? It still hasn't normalized for the last four days.

aquaman

If you get good quality chicken, yes. It definitely tastes milder (and better) than lamb or beef, IMO. Plus 4-5 OZ a week of it is hardly going to be bad amounts of pufa.

OP
L

Logan-

what about PUFAs?

I cut off the visible fat from the chicken liver. I don't care about the remaining pufa.

If you get good quality chicken, yes. It definitely tastes milder (and better) than lamb or beef, IMO. Plus 4-5 OZ a week of it is hardly going to be bad amounts of pufa.

Maybe wouldn't be bad if they were 100% range/grass fed, not having omega-6 from commercial feed.

Is it really that important to find good quality - 100% free range, grass fed chicken liver? Hard to find...

I would guess that free-range, grass fed chicken liver would have less toxins, higher vitamin content, and maybe a better hormonal profile?

Beefcake

Difference is higher pufa, higher iron and lower B-vitamins, retinol and copper. Probably better than no liver at all though.

OP
L

Logan-

Difference is higher pufa, higher iron and lower B-vitamins, retinol and copper. Probably better than no liver at all though.

Yeah I think that's the case, though I am open to suggestions or discussions about the chicken liver vs other liver topic.

Last edited:

Birdie

Chicken livers are more available where I live, but I can find calves liver. I’d not look forward to beef liver which is pretty tough.

I always feel an energy surge with calves liver and never feel it with chicken livers. That’s important to me.

While I loathe the preparation, calves liver cooked right I love.

Steve123

whats better guys, Organic lamb liver or organic ox liver? Cant get beef near me atm ..

NewACC

Yeah I think that's the case, though I am open to suggestions or discussions about the chicken liver vs other liver topic.
@Beefcake no, it's actually a complete lie. Firstly, you can eat chicken liver every day, a jan 350g chicken liver will contain about 2.5g PUFA, while providing you with much more B vitamins, zinc, much less copper, equal a amount of vitamin E, like beef's, only beef liver you can only eat 2 times a week if you do not have the opportunity to supplement zinc

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals