Beef, Lamb, and Pork Liver

J

j.

I wanted to compare the nutritional values of these three types of liver. Unfortunately, wolframalpha.com threw an error when I put chicken liver as well.

Quantity: 3 ounces

Vitamin A
Beef Liver: 24580 UI
Lamb Liver: 21663 UI
Pork Liver: 15306 UI

Copper
Beef Liver: 12 mg
Lamb Liver: 7.2 mg
Pork Liver: 0.5mg (big loser)

Iron
Beef Liver: 5.4 mg
Lamb Liver: 7.9 mg
Pork Liver: 15 mg (loser again)

Zinc
Beef Liver: 4.5 mg
Lamb Liver: 5.7 mg
Pork Liver: 5.7 mg

Selenium
Beef Liver: 28 mcg
Lamb Liver: 97 mcg
Pork Liver: 57 mcg

Link: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=be ... ounces%2C+

OP
J

j.

Pork liver loses in all these categories against lamb. So it seems the competition is between beef and lamb. Beef wins on Vit A, iron, and copper, but lamb wins on zinc and selenium.

chris

You may want to edit original post. According to cronometer and confirmed with self.nutritiondata 3oz chicken liver has these stats. For stats that differ between the two I chose a mid-ish point.

Vitamin A: 9334 IU
Copper: 0.4 mg
Iron: 8.2 mg
Zinc: 2.7mg
Selenium: 52.4 ug

OP
J

j.

chris said:
You may want to edit original post. According to cronometer and confirmed with self.nutritiondata 3oz chicken liver has these stats. For stats that differ between the two I chose a mid-ish point.

Vitamin A: 9334 IU
Copper: 0.4 mg
Iron: 8.2 mg
Zinc: 2.7mg
Selenium: 52.4 ug

Thanks. I can't edit the post anymore.

chris

Oh, it doesn't really matter, chicken liver is pretty poor in comparison.

OP
J

j.

According to chris' numbers, chicken loses against lamb on everything, and also loses against beef on everything except selenium.

nwo2012

I think it's more important what the animals have been fed as we know the liver deals with all the toxins. Since cows are older animals you could expect to find more toxins in their liver. Conventional chickens get fed arsenic laden feed so everyone should steer clear. Organically and pasture fed animals are of course safest. Eating an extra ounce, or two, of chicken liver is no big deal and it's probably the most palatable especially for those that dont like liver (I love them all).

I meant comparing calf liver to ordinary beef liver.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom