Boulder Canyon coconut oil potato chips

CoolTweetPete

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Jackson's are great CoolTweetPete! I've found the Boulder Canyon olive oil variety on the shelf before but to get Jackson's I have to order them online. The Boulder Canyon coconut oil potato chips I found today were only $2.79 for a 5.25 ounce bag at my local store. :claporange I wonder if Dan Wich is behind this development? :ninja

Dan W

Blossom said:
post 104513 I wonder if Dan Wich is behind this development?
I am, but not how you'd think. I've been slaving away in their potato chip mines.

LucH

Mind potato chips, mostly heated above 130° C or 266° F : asparagin gives acrylamides, which is carcinogenic.
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/caus ... fact-sheet
NB: Lays natural Chips are cooked under the critical threshold. Not the others.
:yellohello
LucH

PS: Once a week is not a problem: Only the amount and the frequency make a problem ...

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
LucH said:
post 104521 Mind potato chips, mostly heated above 130° C or 266° F : asparagin gives acrylamides, which is carcinogenic.
:yellohello
LucH

PS: Once a week is not a problem: Only the amount and the frequency make a problem ...
Thanks for the tip LucH! I was thinking about having some a couple times a year so I think I'm safe.

Dan W

LucH said:
post 104521 Mind potato chips, mostly heated above 130° C or 266° F : asparagin gives acrylamides, which is carcinogenic.
I've never been able to decide how much to worry about this, particularly for an occasional snack, as you mentioned. I have my fingers crossed that Jackson's Honest are decent on that front because they've said they do "low temperature" frying, and I'd prefer their coconut oil to Lay's sunflower oil.

That's why Danny Wich lives in CO working with CO. They are based in CO, both the chips and the company.

Dan W

It is weird that both Boulder Canyon and Jackson's Honest are from Colorado. There's clearly a secret chip-subsidy.

Dan W

I want it to stand for coconut oil because of all the lush tropical coconut fields around here.

tomisonbottom

Mind potato chips, mostly heated above 130° C or 266° F : asparagin gives acrylamides, which is carcinogenic.

Does anyone know if Ray has ever talked about the temperature threshold of coconut oil and what's safe? I know he's mentioned frying potatoes and corn tortillas before, but not sure what his version of safe would be for that. I've been thinking about making my own potato chips and/or tortillas but not sure what temps are safe

LucH

Does anyone know if Ray has ever talked about the temperature threshold of coconut oil and what's safe?
Here is an indirect answer: oxidised fat when cooking (reaction to oxidation)

Noix de Coco 0.24 (coconut oil)

Saindoux 0.86 (+/ oil from cooked bacon)

Palme 1.3

Olive 1.5

Lard 1.7 (bacon)

Arachide 3.7

Colza alimentaire 5.5 (canola)

Maïs 6.2 (corn)

Tournesol 6.8 (sunflower)

Références

Perkins, E. G. and M. D. Erickson. "Deep Frying, Chemistry, Nutrition, and Practical Applications," Edited by E. G. Perkins and M. D. Erickson. AOCS Press. Champaign, IL, USA. 1996.

List, G. R. and D. R. Erickson. "Bailey’s Industrial Oil and Fat Products." Edited by T. H. Applewhite, John Wiley and Sons. N.Y, USA. 1985. pp. 275-277.

You can add some spices to counteract oxidation (thym, origan, etc).

tomisonbottom

Here is an indirect answer: oxidised fat when cooking (reaction to oxidation)

Noix de Coco 0.24 (coconut oil)
Tournesol 6.8 (sunflower)

You can add some spices to counteract oxidation (thym, origan, etc).

Great, thank you.
Now.....aren't spices considered estrogenic though? You think that outweighs the bad effects of oxidation?

LucH

aren't spices considered estrogenic though? You think that outweighs the bad effects of oxidation?
yes, most of them, except black pepper ...
But you have to use them with parcimony or change your way of cooking. When I roast a young chicken I use a "pinceau" with a mix of olive oil, pepper, curcuma and origan. This is a compromise. I add some coconut oil to finish the cooking.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals