Grocery Store Stuff, The Good & Bad

Peata

So I was at the grocery store and going down all those aisles of processed foods, I thought how nice it would be if one day soon the labels start boasting, "PUFA-free" or "No PUFA", or "made with coconut oil", etc. Sometimes it's handy to have a granola bar or something to grab on work days.

At least there is a natural foods section where I can get potato chips made with coconut oil when I have the craving.

But alas, the "fresh" boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the meat dept. now say they contain CARAGEENAN, and some of the ground beef contains Natural Flavors.

Are we going back or forward, geez...

tara

Peata said:
post 102927 But alas, the "fresh" boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the meat dept. now say they contain CARAGEENAN, and some of the ground beef contains Natural Flavors.
:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:crazy:

mt_dreams

We're returning to the way things always were. There is now high end food aka natural organic, and food for the slaves. Just like when french cuisine was only available for the aristocrats while the common folk ate potatoes & bread. The only difference now is the visuals can be replicated, so poor people get to believe they're eating the good life.

OP
Peata

Peata

Just got back from the store, where I bought the last 10,000 mcg bottle of Biotin they had on the shelf. Hope they plan to restock, or is this a sign of things to com, as haidut has talked about - they want to take higher dose biotin off market so they can sell it Rx.

D

Derek

Peata said:
post 102927 So I was at the grocery store and going down all those aisles of processed foods, I thought how nice it would be if one day soon the labels start boasting, "PUFA-free" or "No PUFA", or "made with coconut oil", etc. Sometimes it's handy to have a granola bar or something to grab on work days.

At least there is a natural foods section where I can get potato chips made with coconut oil when I have the craving.

But alas, the "fresh" boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the meat dept. now say they contain CARAGEENAN, and some of the ground beef contains Natural Flavors.

They are actually starting to add saturated fat to processed foods. At least at my grocery store. Sour cream/onion Pringles are made with coconut oil. Bugles the same. Hostess ding dongs are made with beef tallow, palm oil, palm kernel oil, and butter. Most candies are made with gelatin and saturated fat.

I agree with you though that the majority of what's available at the grocery store is garbage. Usually, the health food stores are even worse than the standard supermarkets. They use just as much PUFA, but use whole grains, push vegan/vegetarian agendas, etc...

Are those potato chips you speak of Jackson's honest chips? If so I've had those also, they're pretty good!

michael94

Still blows my mind that every single ice cream at my market, maybe 15 different brands/200+ flavors, has carageenan besides the blue bunny vanilla bean and haagen dazs. I literally looked at them all and was so disappointed. Those are great don't get me wrong but i'd love some variety without breaking the bank since I eat a lot of this stuff. Sometimes I miss not knowing about harmful additives because I honestly didn't notice much ill effect at least short term.

Dean

Peata said:
post 108787 Just got back from the store, where I bought the last 10,000 mg bottle of Biotin they had on the shelf. Hope they plan to restock, or is this a sign of things to com, as haidut has talked about - they want to take higher dose biotin off market so they can sell it Rx.

Interesting. The 5 mg caps of biotin I bought a few weeks ago at the "health" store were on clearance. Those were the highest dosed ones they had. Didn't realize you could even buy 10k mg caps.

OP
Peata

Peata

Dean said:
post 108821
Peata said:
post 108787 Just got back from the store, where I bought the last 10,000 mg bottle of Biotin they had on the shelf. Hope they plan to restock, or is this a sign of things to com, as haidut has talked about - they want to take higher dose biotin off market so they can sell it Rx.

Interesting. The 5 mg caps of biotin I bought a few weeks ago at the "health" store were on clearance. Those were the highest dosed ones they had. Didn't realize you could even buy 10k mg caps.

Changed mg to mcg in above post.

Birdie

Well, I just noticed something questionable about the Jackson's Honest tortilla chips.
This is my third bag and I was so happy to find them at a local market, but I can't find any indication on the package that they are nixtamalized.

I guess that if I were eating them only occasionally, that would be okay. But it's not optimum like I hoped.

And it didn't occur to me to even check until I started thinking about why organic popcorn wasn't optimum.
Anyway, super disappointing. Organic and coconut oil and taste good. Darn.

I'll buy them, but not as often.

bobbybobbob

It has never been easier to put together a cheap and high quality diet than now in America. The modern grocery store is an amazing civilizational achievement. A lot of the popular junk food is crap but that is mostly a matter of education and lobbying. It's imminently fixable.

People lamenting vegetable oils and gums in the modern diet are forgetting that pellagra was still a big problem not so long ago. The trajectory is upward towards better things. The wrong turns are relatively minor.

honeybee

:All of the conventional whipping cream or heavy cream at the grocery I normally go to now has carrageenan

Birdie

Oh, no. I stopped getting it, but the last time had to ask them to order the Organic Valley, without C.
The one with C has taken over here in the Pac NW too.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Noticed today in the store that Black Forrest Organic Gummy Bears now contain sunflower oil instead of coconut oil! I'm not sure if this change applies to all of their gummy bears but just wanted to mention it here so people interested would know to check the label!

Dan W

Well, I just noticed something questionable about the Jackson's Honest tortilla chips.
This is my third bag and I was so happy to find them at a local market, but I can't find any indication on the package that they are nixtamalized.

Never fear, here's what they said (at least in mid-2015):
Absolutely it is [nixtamalized]; we follow as traditional a method as we can and the addition of limewater to our unprocessed corn kernels in the cooking process increases the nutritional value of the resulting masa and makes it much easier to work with in our low and slow cooking process.

Birdie

I hate to mention this about our beloved Jackson's Honest chips, but we had a bad reaction to the last bag.
My husband ate 3 chips, and I about half the bag. Otherwise nothing new in our diet.
Both of us experienced diarrhea the next morning. We didn't connect it to the chips until husband saw me munching them the next evening.
That didn't keep me from eating those delicious chips. Same experience in the morning.

This was a one time experience only. We'd bought them numerous times before and had no trouble.
We figure something happened to contaminate this batch.
I mention it in case anybody else has this happen. I should but don't want to take the time to contact the company to see what might have happened....

Revo

So what about things like eggs and bacon? I found a product called egglands best and it brags about a non hormone fully vegetarian diet, no animal products in their feed. Eggs are a good source of protein. But this sounds like it would be a problem with the "vegetarian" diet for the chickens? The label says 1G saturated fat, 1G PUFAs, and 2G monosaturated fat. Any ideas?

Also on bacon. I know the pigs are being fed tons of PUFAs what do you do there? Just avoid bacon all together? Raise your own pig in the backyard?

Thanks,

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals