Grocery Store Stuff, The Good & Bad

HDD

So what about things like eggs and bacon? I found a product called egglands best and it brags about a non hormone fully vegetarian diet, no animal products in their feed. Eggs are a good source of protein. But this sounds like it would be a problem with the "vegetarian" diet for the chickens? The label says 1G saturated fat, 1G PUFAs, and 2G monosaturated fat. Any ideas?

Also on bacon. I know the pigs are being fed tons of PUFAs what do you do there? Just avoid bacon all together? Raise your own pig in the backyard?

Thanks,

You'll find the answers here-
Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, And General Guidelines

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdie

I can answer on the bacon. Peat said to cook it to reduce pufas. He cooks it half way, drains the fat, then adds coconut oil. So, it's cooked the rest of the way in co.

Then, he said drinking oj with it will take care of the nitrates.

I don't know how often he eats bacon.

schultz

So what about things like eggs and bacon? I found a product called egglands best and it brags about a non hormone fully vegetarian diet, no animal products in their feed. Eggs are a good source of protein. But this sounds like it would be a problem with the "vegetarian" diet for the chickens? The label says 1G saturated fat, 1G PUFAs, and 2G monosaturated fat. Any ideas?

Also on bacon. I know the pigs are being fed tons of PUFAs what do you do there? Just avoid bacon all together? Raise your own pig in the backyard?

Thanks,

I personally avoid bacon, not sure what others do here. I do eat things like pork tenderloin and chicken breast though. I trim visible fat.

Chickens love meat. I've seen mine eating grasshoppers, crickets, frogs, mice and even small snakes. I toss mine beef liver every so often. I always laugh when I see that vegetarian label on egg cartons. The eggs in question are probably given standard chicken feed. The main protein would be from soybeans. Chickens need quite a bit of protein each day and protein is expensive. If a hen is laying everyday it is putting 6g of protein into an egg, so it at least needs that. I think I remember reading they need about 15-17g of protein a day and 400 or so calories, but that level of protein might be from poor protein sources like legumes. If someone was feeding something like liver, they would likely need less.

Sorry I went a little off topic. I get excited about the livestock topic.

EIRE24

I personally avoid bacon, not sure what others do here. I do eat things like pork tenderloin and chicken breast though. I trim visible fat.

Chickens love meat. I've seen mine eating grasshoppers, crickets, frogs, mice and even small snakes. I toss mine beef liver every so often. I always laugh when I see that vegetarian label on egg cartons. The eggs in question are probably given standard chicken feed. The main protein would be from soybeans. Chickens need quite a bit of protein each day and protein is expensive. If a hen is laying everyday it is putting 6g of protein into an egg, so it at least needs that. I think I remember reading they need about 15-17g of protein a day and 400 or so calories, but that level of protein might be from poor protein sources like legumes. If someone was feeding something like liver, they would likely need less.

Sorry I went a little off topic. I get excited about the livestock topic.

How many times a week do you eat liver yourself?

Revo

@HDD thanks for the link. Just getting started so still trying to figure out the whole PUFA thing. Lots to learn. I was a relaltively early adopter to low carb high protein back in 95. And it was difficult back then to figure out just reading labels. Now days it is part of our language.

@schultz good point about meat eating chickens. My uncle and even my dad used to keep chickens and if you let them roam around the spent all day pecking in the ground scaring up bugs,worms,even little rodents. Thats what they like. Also have not seen a bag of laying mash in a long time but I bet it is full of protein like you say.

Having said all that. Other than raising the chickens your self where do you guys get your eggs at. Free range chickens does not mean a lot since all they do in that case is put them in little individual pens about 4 x 4 feet. I have seen them. Where do you find chickens that eat a normal diet?

schultz

How many times a week do you eat liver yourself?

Once or twice a week. I have a friend of mine over every week and we have liver. We've done this every week for about 3 years I think, though the first 6 months we did oysters rockafeller. It got expensive and time consuming to shuck all the oysters so we switched to liver. On a side not, last time we used goat liver and it was the most mild liver I've ever had. Quite good.

shepherdgirl

I have read here and there about eggs, and I have come to some conclusions based on what I read which may or may not be the truth (I am not in the chicken biz):
"vegetarian fed" hens do not go outside (if they ate bugs they would not be considered vegetarian) - I don't see how that makes the eggs any different from standard store eggs.
"free range" often means they do not go outside but they are not in the tiny individual cages - not sure if it is less stress for them because they are less confined, or more stress because they peck each other. I think occasionally it could mean they roam free on pasture, but I would not count on it.
"access to outdoors" can at least sometimes mean that a little cat door is installed that the chickens could technically use - but they apparently never figure it out, so they are essentially raised indoors and sold for outdoors prices.
"pastured" as far as I know means they go out on the grass, not sure how often.

postman

We're returning to the way things always were. There is now high end food aka natural organic, and food for the slaves. Just like when french cuisine was only available for the aristocrats while the common folk ate potatoes & bread. The only difference now is the visuals can be replicated, so poor people get to believe they're eating the good life.
Food quality was at least high then, even for the poor people.

Ideonaut

Another grocery store item I'd like to find is reasonably priced chocolate without lecithin. I'd like to emulate longest-lived Jeanne Calment Jeanne Calment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and eat a kilo of chocolate a week. Anyone know of some? Maybe there's some bulk baking chocolate or cocoa cheap somewhere that I could make coconut oil fudge with.

Revo

@Ideonaut i know what you mean. Even high quality chocolate has soy added as an emulsifier. Whatever that means. But I did find one brand I believe was British that did not have soy in it. It was at a Walgreens. I am going to check there again. And let you know.

artlange

Low PUFA coconut oil extracts. the coconut oil extracts called XCT, MCT and Brain Octane are probably PUFA free. (may be OK, even if they are the Bulletproof brand.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals