Best Tips For Getting Restful Sleep / (increasing GABA?)

Cirion

I think one of the biggest inhibitors to improving my health is my lack of quality sleep. I never feel good waking up, ever, except occasionally on weekends, no matter how early I go to bed.

Thinking of quitting caffeine (and maybe aspirin too) for good, since Nate says in his book that caffeine and other stimulants inhibit GABA... only problem is because of work, I'm basically forced to have caffeine to survive through the day, which makes it very hard/impossible to quit caffeine...

I've already done the other obvious things--- blue light blocker glasses, sleeping inclined, FLUX on pc, sleeping in cold dark room (recently tried sleeping warm, that doesn't work either), going to bed early, eliminating all sources of EMF in bedroom (I even pull the circuit breaker for my bedroom)... none of it seems to work... Also usually eat whenever I wake up, sugar/salt/sat fat... no good though...

This winter really does not help either, I get no sunlight at all essentially. I feel like I can't heal unless I get out of this climate and somewhere sunny and warm.

If I didn't have work it'd be doable maybe. When I'm able to sleep in until like noon (weekends) I feel a lot better. I keep thinking maybe I just need to quit my job but I really don't want to do that unless I have to.

Last edited:

godspeed

well what's your diet like? are you getting enough calcium and magnesium?

Are you socially active? Do you have a friend you can trust ? Diet is extremely important, and supplements for the metabolism are very good too, but one thing I have realized more and more recently is that having people in your life that you genuinely enjoy being around and around which you can be who you are can make a huge difference. If I don't leave my house for even a day, that is enough to make very depressed and sleep is never that good in this scenario. Simply laying down in your bed and asking yourself "how can I improve my life" or "is there something bothering me" can very therapeutic.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I probably get plenty of calcium. mountains of goat cheese every day. I supplement 600 mg magnesium on top of whatever else I may get from food. I get lots of fats (saturated) and sugars, plenty of salt, adequate protein (something like 40% fat 40% sugar 20% protein), generally peat approved foods for the most part.

I hear what you're saying about socializing, the problem is I have zero desire/motivation/energy to do so. It's been my experience in the past when I have been healthy that the desire to be social comes about naturally when I'm healthy, and forcing it isn't that useful (for me at least). The very first outing I did the last time I was very healthy, I struck up a conversation with several women and asked one out (Keep in mind, I'm normally very bad around women). Conversely I've had times when I've been unhealthy and forcing socializing really didn't work for me at all no matter what I did, and any attempts to hit on women were laughable and pointless & I also develop a stutter and poor ability to speak my mind when my androgens are low (especially around attractive women) so they reject me outright due to my pathetic approach.

What I'm trying to say is that: High androgen males are sociable. However, trying to be sociable doesn't give you high androgens or even improve them. That has not been my experience. Actually, I often felt worse after attempting to socialize in poor health, due to feeling embarrassed by pathetic conversations and weak attempts at seducing women and then replaying said incident in my head repeatedly once back home compounding it. Experience for some other people may differ I'll admit, so I'm sure I'm not a one size fits all example.

It's possibly also because I don't really have any good friends locally, and I have a very hard time finding people who really share my values, either male or female. Socializing is generally very physically and mentally draining for me, so it really only works out for me when I'm in a high energy state. I honestly enjoy my own company more than other peoples' company, especially when I'm in a low energy state.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd look into upping the protein and lowering the fat % of your macros.
Get a 250watt infrared heat lamp, perhaps 2 of them. Try to do 20+ minutes a day or at night. Just make sure you not around the cord, other than that should be no emf issues.
Test your hormones/vitamins/minerals, and see if you need to adjust any.
Indoor tanning 1-2x a week. Or just do red light instead.
Last coffee/caffeine before 3pm, maybe even earlier. Perhaps use thyroid/sugars for energy after done the coffee.
Could supplement magnesium/gaba or glycine/salt at last meal before bed. Even melatonin. Peat says some good and bad stuff about it over the years. Quite a few people use it.
There are herbs, and other sleep supplements/med's that might help also. Or a cpap machine.

Last edited:

David PS

From Ray Peat's article Gelatin, stress, longevity
Glycine is recognized as an “inhibitory” neurotransmitter, and promotes natural sleep. Used as a supplement, it has helped to promote recovery from strokes and seizures, and to improve learning and memory. But in every type of cell, it apparently has the same kind of quieting, protective antistress action.​

fradon

I think one of the biggest inhibitors to improving my health is my lack of quality sleep. I never feel good waking up, ever, except occasionally on weekends, no matter how early I go to bed.

Thinking of quitting caffeine (and maybe aspirin too) for good, since Nate says in his book that caffeine and other stimulants inhibit GABA... only problem is because of work, I'm basically forced to have caffeine to survive through the day, which makes it very hard/impossible to quit caffeine...

I've already done the other obvious things--- blue light blocker glasses, sleeping inclined, FLUX on pc, sleeping in cold dark room (recently tried sleeping warm, that doesn't work either), going to bed early, eliminating all sources of EMF in bedroom (I even pull the circuit breaker for my bedroom)... none of it seems to work... Also usually eat whenever I wake up, sugar/salt/sat fat... no good though...

This winter really does not help either, I get no sunlight at all essentially. I feel like I can't heal unless I get out of this climate and somewhere sunny and warm.

If I didn't have work it'd be doable maybe. When I'm able to sleep in until like noon (weekends) I feel a lot better. I keep thinking maybe I just need to quit my job but I really don't want to do that unless I have to.

i find that about 4 oz of ice cream before bed makes me sleep really well.

Makrosky

I probably get plenty of calcium. mountains of goat cheese every day. I supplement 600 mg magnesium on top of whatever else I may get from food. I get lots of fats (saturated) and sugars, plenty of salt, adequate protein (something like 40% fat 40% sugar 20% protein), generally peat approved foods for the most part.

I hear what you're saying about socializing, the problem is I have zero desire/motivation/energy to do so. It's been my experience in the past when I have been healthy that the desire to be social comes about naturally when I'm healthy, and forcing it isn't that useful (for me at least). The very first outing I did the last time I was very healthy, I struck up a conversation with several women and asked one out (Keep in mind, I'm normally very bad around women). Conversely I've had times when I've been unhealthy and forcing socializing really didn't work for me at all no matter what I did, and any attempts to hit on women were laughable and pointless & I also develop a stutter and poor ability to speak my mind when my androgens are low (especially around attractive women) so they reject me outright due to my pathetic approach.

What I'm trying to say is that: High androgen males are sociable. However, trying to be sociable doesn't give you high androgens or even improve them. That has not been my experience. Actually, I often felt worse after attempting to socialize in poor health, due to feeling embarrassed by pathetic conversations and weak attempts at seducing women and then replaying said incident in my head repeatedly once back home compounding it. Experience for some other people may differ I'll admit, so I'm sure I'm not a one size fits all example.

It's possibly also because I don't really have any good friends locally, and I have a very hard time finding people who really share my values, either male or female. Socializing is generally very physically and mentally draining for me, so it really only works out for me when I'm in a high energy state. I honestly enjoy my own company more than other peoples' company, especially when I'm in a low energy state.

You have to force it. No investment, no return. I know exactly what you mean about not having energy to socislize but you have to force it. Good socialization recharges you energetically. I'm not talking about chasing girls but friends. And if you don't have a real close friend with whom you can be yourself, even an exhausted and depleted version of yourself, then finding one that's priority no.1. And if that's not possible (which I really doubt since you have a good job so you must have a minimum of social abilities) then get an animal.
My 2 cents.

johnsmith

Magnoil had a noticeable effect on my sleep, so did 3 grams of glycine before bed. If you want to find out what GABA feels like, I would recommend you try supplementing a large dose of it, once, when you suspect you are going threw a period of low GABA.

YourUniverse

Magnoil had a noticeable effect on my sleep, so did 3 grams of glycine before bed. If you want to find out what GABA feels like, I would recommend you try taking a large dose of it, once, in supplement form, when you suspect you are going threw a period of low GABA.
no, the solution isnt more supplementation. Where does this paradigm end?

Mufasa

The way you describe it is that you push way too much pressure on being the best version of yourself while being social.
You may need to be so healthy and so high androgen if you want to "steal the show' and flirt with success,
but definitely not if you just need some friends to connect with.

I understand you though, I have been in the same position, and I also think I did put way too much pressure on it.
I'm doing well now, but I'm mentally drained often after work.
What helps me is not putting pressure on it, and just being honest, and putting yourself in a vulnerable position.
I think this only helps to make deeper connections, then forcing yourself to be at the top of your game all the time.

I think the main problem of not being social is the following.
What do you do when you are not social?
Many people only do very toxic stuff when they are not being social.
Activities to inhibit the senses and raise serotonin.
Like slouching on the couch watching stupid videos for hours until you are overstimulated with nonsense, playing video games until way too late, gambling, etc. etc.
I think that is the question you should ask yourself, do you like being alone, because you are better in inhibiting your senses if you are on your own?

somuch4food

Actually, I often felt worse after attempting to socialize in poor health, due to feeling embarrassed by pathetic conversations and weak attempts at seducing women and then replaying said incident in my head repeatedly once back home compounding it. Experience for some other people may differ I'll admit, so I'm sure I'm not a one size fits all example.

That's totally my experience. I actually start playing scenarios in my head before even attempting to socialize.

You have to force it. No investment, no return. I know exactly what you mean about not having energy to socislize but you have to force it. Good socialization recharges you energetically. I'm not talking about chasing girls but friends. And if you don't have a real close friend with whom you can be yourself, even an exhausted and depleted version of yourself, then finding one that's priority no.1. And if that's not possible (which I really doubt since you have a good job so you must have a minimum of social abilities) then get an animal.

Have you ever heard about introverts? No matter how much fun I have when I am with people, I need to be alone/left to my own agenda to fully recharge. Forcing myself to be social only results in more stress if I can't be natural/in the moment with the people I'm with. Doing an activity instead of just meeting up to chat is usually a better strategy with me and results in a more relaxed state.

As for sleep problems, I have found that I sleep better when I put my child's mineral oil on myself (it contains aloe vera and vitamin E as active ingredients, it also as a light perfume that I find relaxing). I woke up last night pretty agitated and remembered I had not put it on. After applying some, I went back to bed and slept way better than I did the first half of the night. I think you just need to experiment with different stuff (food, sleep setting, bedtime routine) until you find something that works.

What do you do before bed?

GAF

Vit c liposomal 1g before bed has deepened my sleep and weird not scary dreams are happening

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Doesn't that exclude the Ray Peat way of eating? Saturated fat and sugars... what are you supposed to eat before bed then??

Have you ever heard about introverts? No matter how much fun I have when I am with people, I need to be alone/left to my own agenda to fully recharge. Forcing myself to be social only results in more stress if I can't be natural/in the moment with the people I'm with. Doing an activity instead of just meeting up to chat is usually a better strategy with me and results in a more relaxed state.

I literally don't have the energy to be social even if I wanted to. It's all I can do to have enough energy to make it through the day being sedentary these days. If it wasn't for work, maybe, but you can forget about being social on weekdays since I need 10+ hour of sleep. Because of the workweek, I have to just relax on weekends to recharge.

ddjd

This is completely my experience too. From my research and experience it's particularly the GABA-b receptor that needs to be agonised for good sleep. Things that increase this:

Phenibut
Progesterone
5adhp
Minocycline
Vit k1

Agonising the GABA-a receptor with things like taurine seems to help getting to sleep but doesn't actually improve quality of sleep.

Like you, aspirin gives me horrendous quality sleeps because of the gaba antagonism. So I can only take it early in the day.

Conversely I've taken phenibut on a night when I know I can only get 3 hours sleep and I'll wake up feeling like I've had 6/7. Incredible stuff but got to be very careful with it

Mufasa

Doesn't that exclude the Ray Peat way of eating? Saturated fat and sugars... what are you supposed to eat before bed then??

I literally don't have the energy to be social even if I wanted to. It's all I can do to have enough energy to make it through the day being sedentary these days. If it wasn't for work, maybe, but you can forget about being social on weekdays since I need 10+ hour of sleep. Because of the workweek, I have to just relax on weekends to recharge.

What do you do to relax?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals