Ataxia, Iron, Methylene Blue, Niacinamide

Discussion in 'Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs' started by ampersand, Apr 22, 2020.

1. ampersand

ampersand Member

Can anyone help me with this? I have a friend with Friedreich's Ataxia. Her doctor has her taking iron pills because of her anemia. As we know, that's concerning for most people, but if I'm reading this correctly it seems iron would be particularly contra-indicated for her condition?

Iron and Friedreich Ataxia - PubMed

I'm thinking methylene blue and niacinamide would be much more beneficial for her?

Nicotinamide in Friedreich’s ataxia: useful or not?

2. OP
    ampersand

ampersand Member

This is the Abstract from the first link:
    "Abstract
    Friedreich ataxia is due to insufficient levels of frataxin, a mitochondrial iron chaperone that shields this metal from reactive oxygen species (ROS) and renders it bioavailable as Fe II. Frataxin participates in the synthesis of iron-sulfur clusters (ISCs), cofactors of several enzymes, including mitochondrial and cytosolic aconitase, complexes I, II and III of the respiratory chain, and ferrochelatase. It also plays a role in the maintenance of ISCs, in particular for mitochondrial aconitase. A role of frataxin in heme synthesis has been postulated, but is controversial. Insufficient frataxin leads to deficit of ISC enzymes and energy deficit. Iron levels increase in mitochondria. Oxidative stress may result from respiratory chain dysfunction and from direct reaction between iron and ROS. Stress pathways are activated that may lead to apoptosis or other forms of cell death. The basis for the selective vulnerability of specific neurons, like sensory neurons, is still unknown."

3. Tristan Loscha

Tristan Loscha Member

A Case of Ataxia with Isolated Vitamin E Deficiency Initially Diagnosed as Friedreich's Ataxia.

I would take 400-800mg/d plain Alpha Tocopherol as D-alpha acetate or free form;Could also mitigate damage from Ironsupplementation.