Ataxia, Iron, Methylene Blue, Niacinamide

ampersand

Can anyone help me with this? I have a friend with Friedreich's Ataxia. Her doctor has her taking iron pills because of her anemia. As we know, that's concerning for most people, but if I'm reading this correctly it seems iron would be particularly contra-indicated for her condition?

Iron and Friedreich Ataxia - PubMed

I'm thinking methylene blue and niacinamide would be much more beneficial for her?

Nicotinamide in Friedreich’s ataxia: useful or not?

OP
ampersand

ampersand

This is the Abstract from the first link:
"Abstract
Friedreich ataxia is due to insufficient levels of frataxin, a mitochondrial iron chaperone that shields this metal from reactive oxygen species (ROS) and renders it bioavailable as Fe II. Frataxin participates in the synthesis of iron-sulfur clusters (ISCs), cofactors of several enzymes, including mitochondrial and cytosolic aconitase, complexes I, II and III of the respiratory chain, and ferrochelatase. It also plays a role in the maintenance of ISCs, in particular for mitochondrial aconitase. A role of frataxin in heme synthesis has been postulated, but is controversial. Insufficient frataxin leads to deficit of ISC enzymes and energy deficit. Iron levels increase in mitochondria. Oxidative stress may result from respiratory chain dysfunction and from direct reaction between iron and ROS. Stress pathways are activated that may lead to apoptosis or other forms of cell death. The basis for the selective vulnerability of specific neurons, like sensory neurons, is still unknown."

Can anyone help me with this? I have a friend with Friedreich's Ataxia. Her doctor has her taking iron pills because of her anemia. As we know, that's concerning for most people, but if I'm reading this correctly it seems iron would be particularly contra-indicated for her condition?

I'm thinking methylene blue and niacinamide would be much more beneficial for her?

A Case of Ataxia with Isolated Vitamin E Deficiency Initially Diagnosed as Friedreich's Ataxia.

I would take 400-800mg/d plain Alpha Tocopherol as D-alpha acetate or free form;Could also mitigate damage from Ironsupplementation.

Have you discovered any remedy for your friend’s symptoms?

Have you found any relief for Ataxia since you posted this?

OP
ampersand

ampersand

Have you found any relief for Ataxia since you posted this?
I'm afraid not. The person attempted to go off of all drugs for a time, but had terrible myoclonus spasms constantly and became extremely sleep deprived, and very thin/haggard from constant movement. She ended up having to go back onto a cocktail of different drugs to control the spasms.

I'm afraid not. The person attempted to go off of all drugs for a time, but had terrible myoclonus spasms constantly and became extremely sleep deprived, and very thin/haggard from constant movement. She ended up having to go back onto a cocktail of different drugs to control the spasms.
So sorry to hear that. :-(

OP
ampersand

ampersand

So sorry to hear that. :-(
Thank you. I don't think this means that other people wouldn't find better success implementing Peat ideas. This woman had been on very heavy duty drugs for many years, she had a very serious condition, and she nonetheless outlived her prognosis by almost two decades. There's always hope.