haidut

Forum Supporter
There is an old study often cited by Peat in regards to liver health and estrogen. That study found that vitamins B1 (thiamine) and B2 (riboflavin) are crucial for the deactivation/metabolism of estrogen by the liver.
Vitamins B1 & B2 Are Required For Estrogen Inactivation By Liver

The study below demonstrates that the deactivation/metabolism can further improved/accelerated by adding niacinamide and/or methylene blue (MB). The effects of niacinamide were due to preventing decline of NAD (also known as DPN) levels, while MB helped when there was oxygen deficiency in the cellular environment, with MB likely working by reoxidizing NADH back to NAD+ in lieu of oxygen.

MECHANISM OF INACTIVATION OF α -ESTRADIOL BY RAT LIVER “IN VITRO” 1

"...No inactivation occurred in a nitrogen gas phase. However, when methylene blue was added, about 60 per cent of the activity disappeared (Table 3). The degree of inactivation in the presence of methylene blue was not increased by addition of nicotinamide and DPN (a cozymase preparation, 60 per cent pure, obtained from Schwarz Laboratories). The process of dehydrogenation in the presence of air is linked to DPN. This hypothesis is supported by several observations. In the first place, the addition of 10 to 20 mg. per vessel of nicotinamide and DPN, together or separately, to liver homogenate, increased the activity of the latter by approximately 50 per cent. No further increase was observed when cytochrome C2 was added."

"...When the homogenate was prepared in the presence of 0.1 per cent nicotinamide, and DPN was added, there was a slight increase in activity over the preparation previously mentioned. Almost complete inactivation was achieved when the concentration of nicotinamide was increased to 2 per cent and 1.8 mM DPN was added."

"...As shown by previous workers, liver slices (Heller, 1940) and "brei" (Zondek, 1934) inactivate estrogens. The process is enzymatic, inasmuch as boiled liver slices show no such activity. The transformation seems to be oxidative in nature as it does not occur in a nitrogen gas phase. That a dehydrogenating mechanism is at least partially involved in the process of inactivation is indicated by the observation that addition of methylene blue reestablishes in part the activity of slices incubated anaerobically. We believe that methylene blue acts as a hydrogen acceptor and that, under these conditions, estradiol may possibly be converted to estrone. The dehydrogenation is in part linked to DPN. This is indicated by the increase in activity of the homogenate after addition of DPN and by the augmenting effect of nicotinamide. The latter probably produces this effect by decreasing the breakdown of DPN [NAD+], as it has been shown by Mann and Quastel (1941) and Handler and Klein (1942) to inhibit the breakdown of this coenzyme by different tissue preparations."

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

The study below demonstrates that the deactivation/metabolism can further improved/accelerated by adding niacinamide and/or methylene blue (MB). The effects of niacinamide were due to preventing decline of NAD (also known as DPN) levels, while MB helped when there was oxygen deficiency in the cellular environment.

This implies that inosine would also have similar effects, right?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This implies that inosine would also have similar effects, right?

Any oxidizing agent really, anything that can either raise NAD levels directly or prevent its decline. MB's effects were probably due to its ability to oxidize NADH back into NAD and this keep the NAD/NADH ratio high. Inosine, thyroid, progesterone, aspirin, sucrose, vitamin K, emodin, etc should all have similar effect. But niacinamide is also directly anti-estrogenic as @Vinero pointed out, and MB is also an aromatase inhibitor. So, those two stand out as especially beneficial, together with progesterone due to their multi-factor anti-estrogenic effects.

managing

So, niacinamide makes me feel spacy and/or sleepy. Even small quantities. Yes, I take w/ sugar.

MB on the other hand makes me feel great. I've only uses sporadically and in small amounts.

Could be for reasons completely unrelated to estrogen deactivation of course.

Last edited:
So, niacinamide makes me feel spacy and/or sleepy. Even small quantities. Yes, I take w/ sugar.

Interesting. The co-host of a Computer Security podcast that I used to listen to developed a formula for improving sleep. Obviously, he's a techie and so is his audience, so that leads one to infer certain behaviors and dietary habits for the general audience. He received lots of success stories. His Healthy Sleep Formula is niacinamide, melatonin, oleamide, all taken before bed. (His original formula included different substances, though). I remember taking niacinamide before bed when hearing about this, but it didn't help me. In fact, IIRC, I had insomnia.

lampofred

MB on the other hand makes me feel great. I've only uses sporadically and in small amounts.

Could be for reasons completely unrelated to estrogen deactivation of course.

Taking too much B3 without enough B6 sometimes causes this for me.

managing

Interesting. The co-host of a Computer Security podcast that I used to listen to developed a formula for improving sleep. Obviously, he's a techie and so is his audience, so that leads one to infer certain behaviors and dietary habits for the general audience. He received lots of success stories. His Healthy Sleep Formula is niacinamide, melatonin, oleamide, all taken before bed. (His original formula included different substances, though). I remember taking niacinamide before bed when hearing about this, but it didn't help me. In fact, IIRC, I had insomnia.
The problem for me is that niacinamide causes low blood sugar. So, yes, initially sleep. Which is then disrupted a few hours later by cortisol.