Aspirin extends lifespan in animal model

haidut

Forum Supporter

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
[glow=red]Ray Peat right again![/glow]​

I just love doing that! :mrgreen:

OH and the goodies powder I think its called has aspirin and caffeine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yep, Goodies or BC, which I think are one and the same product with different names. I have some at home and take regularly. Seems to be pure caffeine+aspirin and not much fillers.

mother

Where can you buy aspirin powder USP for human consumption. It seems they only sell it for horses.

chris

mother said:
Where can you buy aspirin powder USP for human consumption. It seems they only sell it for horses.

I was planning on buying horse asprin.

"They sell aspirin, USP, for animals, which is the same as used for people, except that it doesn't contain the toxic additives of the tablets." - Ray Peat

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I concur with the animal aspirin - it's suitable for human consumption. I have been taking it for over a year, but I find that dissolving the plain uncoated tablets (one can buy from places like CVS and RiteAid ) in soda water works just as well. The sediment (usually starch) goes to the bottom and then you just drink the liquid, which has a tangy taste and that's what the powdered aspirin for horses tastes like too.

jyb

chris said:

Did you find a source of pure horse aspirin? I believe the one on Amazon has flavoring.

superhuman

does one have to take vitamin K supplement when taking aspirin or is this only if one runs into bleeding nose? i cant afford buying the expensive vitamin K supplement. And how much aspirin are we talking about to make good effects or makes one needs vitamin K. Since This guy is taking a big dose everyday he isnt supplementing with vitamin K.

What are good food sources for vitamin K ?

J

j.

superhuman said:

Organ meats are among the best source for mk4 type of vitamin k, especially tongue.

chris

jyb said:
chris said:

Did you find a source of pure horse aspirin? I believe the one on Amazon has flavoring.

The Vedco USP aspirin was my first choice. I looked around and found nothing saying it had anything other than aspirin in it.

Worlpt

superhuman said:
The people who are very highly motivated to be aware of vit K status are those who take the blood-thinner medication Coumadin/warfarin, which is a vit K antagonist. Leafy greens and broccoli are the common foods most often mentioned as containing vit K.

Cinnamon is a natural blood thinner. Fish oil and vit E are the most powerful, and maybe should be avoided if signs of bleeding/bruising occur.

jyb

superhuman said:
does one have to take vitamin K supplement when taking aspirin or is this only if one runs into bleeding nose? i cant afford buying the expensive vitamin K supplement. And how much aspirin are we talking about to make good effects or makes one needs vitamin K. Since This guy is taking a big dose everyday he isnt supplementing with vitamin K.

I take aspirin. One or several tablets daily. I never need to supplement K if I drink high quality milk (grass fed, not just "organic"). I know this works because if I drink regular milk, I'd get nosebleed after just a few days of taking a single dose aspirin daily. The other advantage is that the quality milk probably has other good nutrients too, and that I don't get the same bad reaction as I do when I use K supplements.

Worlpt

I'd spent a little time recently looking into the risk of aspirin. The main risk is intracerebral hemorrhage - the risk is small and the data are conflicting over how much more likely it occurs with aspirin use. I decided to take a regular aspirin every 2-3 days, but never after exercise since that could very likely blunt exercise benefits by inhibiting the necessary PWO inflammation.

The second risk that's always talked about is stomach bleeding, which should be apparent if it occurs.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Worlpt said:
I'd spent a little time recently looking into the risk of aspirin. The main risk is intracerebral hemorrhage - the risk is small and the data are conflicting over how much more likely it occurs with aspirin use. I decided to take a regular aspirin every 2-3 days, but never after exercise since that could very likely blunt exercise benefits by inhibiting the necessary PWO inflammation.

The second risk that's always talked about is stomach bleeding, which should be apparent if it occurs.

Interesting info, thank you.

gretchen

I start every day with aspirin and coffee, in milk right now. Gets my energy up in the morning.

I wouldn't be surprised if the MSM continues to put down both caffeine and aspirin. People will believe just about anything.

Worlpt

Charlie said:
Worlpt said:

Interesting info, thank you.
Hey, you're welcome :) Here are two cites, both are FFTs:
http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/36/8/1801.full
http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/29/5/885.full

And just in case, by stomach bleeding being "apparent", that means black stools (stomach acid interacting with hemoglobin). Bleeding lower in the GI tract would make for red color. Also, tea colored urine after very hard and prolonged exercise would signal rhabdomyolysis (the color comes from myoglogin in the urine, from rampant muscle breakdown), and that is a potentially lethal medical emergency. There was a recent published case of rhabdo from a P90 workout.

(I just mentioned rhabdo because of the iron connection, but I just looked and it does seem that a BIG acute aspirin overdose can also cause it:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2735989

Am J Emerg Med. 1989 Jul;7(4):409-10.
Salicylate-induced rhabdomyolysis.
Leventhal LJ, Kuritsky L, Ginsburg R, Bomalaski JS.
Source

Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104.
Abstract

A 42-year-old woman was hospitalized with aspirin intoxication. The patient developed massive skeletal muscle damage without any evidence of muscle compression, hyperthermia, or other predisposing factors. The exact mechanism by which salicylates cause muscle damage is unknown, but the muscle damage appears to be the result of a direct toxic effect. This represents the first case of isolated salicylate-induced rhabdomyolysis.
)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals