Cacoa Extends Lifespan And Keeps Dopamine High

Aleeri

doesnt cacao increase NO massively?

It does, but why does that matter when it is shown beneficial in almost every study done? I think it's important to not go too reductionist on it.

When it comes to many natural substances it seems like they are bidirectional and adaptogenic, a function modern medicine still struggles to grasp or even understand for that matter.

Example if I was to consume a PDE5 inhibitor I would get massive back pain from the NO, I tried this before. But if I consume crazy amounts of dark chocolate, I get no such thing even though it's supposed to increase NO. I would not even get a hint of NO-related side effects.

I'm pretty certain that even though their potencies are of course much different, the way they work on NO and the body as a whole is as well.

Fractality

2-3 small squares of organic 100% chocolate (ingredients: cacao beans) with coffee is a great start to the morning.

Xemnoraq

I noticed amazing improvements in brain function and mood and performance during my chocolate binge whether it was related or unrelated to chocolate the thing that concerns me about chocolate is the amount of heavy metals that’s usually found in it along with its iron levels

D

Deleted member 5487

2-3 small squares of organic 100% chocolate (ingredients: cacao beans) with coffee is a great start to the morning.

Just did this morning. Might have been to powerful. Very impressed with 88% dark, it's effects are clear dopamine with no cortisol of coffee.

theLaw

@haidut

Can you weigh-in on the possible issues with consuming large quantities of cocoa (raw)?

I know that several people have mentioned the following:

1. High iron content
2. Cocoa blocking calcium (in choc milk)
3. Various heavy metals in cocoa powder

Any thoughts?

Thanks!:D

PecosRiver

Consumer Labs has reputable reviews of cocoa heavy metal contamination: ConsumerLab.com - independent tests and reviews of vitamin, mineral, and herbal supplements. You have to be a member to get to it, but its worth it. They've reviewed all sorts of vitamins and herbs, some Peaty and some not so. Cadmium contamination is found in most dark chocolate - if I remember the study Baker's 100% is one of the few that is cadmium free. The cocoa powders are the worst.

cocoa is never ever a problem IME. Plus, all the magnesium... it feels good
Really happy with my way of eating which is high carbs high proteins all day, trace fats.... until dinner's raw goat cheese and 99% dark chocolate. Freakin brain candies.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Can you weigh-in on the possible issues with consuming large quantities of cocoa (raw)?

I know that several people have mentioned the following:

1. High iron content
2. Cocoa blocking calcium (in choc milk)
3. Various heavy metals in cocoa powder

Any thoughts?

Thanks!:D

Cocoa should be OK even in higher amounts provided there is no heavy metal contamination. The latter is hard to ascertain unless one has access to a lab that can do the testing. The protein in cocoa is much more anabolic than casein or even meat protein, so that alone makes a very useful dietary addition. Peat spoke about the anabolic effects of cocoa several times.

J

jb116

Just wanted to add something I've posted about before regarding cocoa; that alkalai processed cocoa loses much of its iron and estrogenic compounds. This dutch process is invaluable, much like nixtamalization of corn.

Terma

I never had good effects from any cocoa in the past but sometime in recent past Lindt reformulated their 70% dark choco with fewer ingredients and it works fantastic, surprisingly very good against alcohol hangover in combination with Theanine. Very surprised this works now, had bad effects from cocoa in the past, Theobromine was always overrated.

I wonder if it can chelate other heavy metals too, such as those found in problematic levels in cheap commercial powders. I also wonder if the powders they use in some of the studies also contain and/or was tested for heavy metals.
Yeah they can chelate heavy metals and can be dangerous especially if a consumer has depleted glutathione levels that function to remove metals from out the body. I would not consume them with a meal. Catechin for example with fish consumption; chelates and increase mercury in blood plasma whereas DMSA chelation therapy decreases mercury. [1]
I would avoid extracts of them edit (green tea / grape seed extracts) like the plague, also tea steeped above 80 degree Celsius, because it has been shown in studies that catechin are estrogenic in the presence of Estradiol E2. [2]
I would favor processed choco and avoid raw chocolate.
But catechin have a low bioavailability and dutch-ed chocolate has low amounts, so those are relatively safe to consume in normal amounts.

[1] https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/320936/
[2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26303816

edit
estrogenic tea catechins in vivo - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12377984

Last edited:

Luk3

Here's the link to Consumer Lab chocolate page:
Dark Chocolates, Cocoa Powders, Nibs, and Supplements Reviews

They really ding Trader Joe's chocolates - bummer!

A bar that they recommend as very low cadmium and high flavonals is Lindt 90% cocoa. It also tastes divine ...
Would you mind sharing their recommended cocoa powders, please? It seems you have to pay a subscription for every category instead of being able to pick and choose.

D

Deleted member 5487

Cocoa should be OK even in higher amounts provided there is no heavy metal contamination. The latter is hard to ascertain unless one has access to a lab that can do the testing. The protein in cocoa is much more anabolic than casein or even meat protein, so that alone makes a very useful dietary addition. Peat spoke about the anabolic effects of cocoa several times.

How about it's ability to stop/slow breakdown of estrogen? Same pathway it keeps dopamine high

Aleeri

Just wanted to add something I've posted about before regarding cocoa; that alkalai processed cocoa loses much of its iron and estrogenic compounds. This dutch process is invaluable, much like nixtamalization of corn.

You also lose much of the cardiovascular benefits. Check out the Cocoavia product and studies, this is basically what you won't get with dutched.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
How about it's ability to stop/slow breakdown of estrogen? Same pathway it keeps dopamine high

If it keeps the liver healthy, which is it is known to do, that should balance any slowdown of estrogen elimination. If cocoa was inhibiting estrogen breakdown it would be causing things like gyno and early puberty and it is not know to do that AFAIK.

D

Deleted member 5487

If it keeps the liver healthy, which is it is known to do, that should balance any slowdown of estrogen elimination. If cocoa was inhibiting estrogen breakdown it would be causing things like gyno and early puberty and it is not know to do that AFAIK.

Don't doubt it, just read it was through the COMT pathway

Is raw cocoa safe?

Aleeri

Don't doubt it, just read it was through the COMT pathway

Is raw cocoa safe?

What makes you think it does so through the COMT pathway?

I just searched through the paper and there is zero mention about COMT: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/cc...060.558258196.1541221341-126178673.1541221341

Actually, if you want to talk COMT inhibitors then EGCG of green tea would be much stronger COMT inhibitor, which is why it tends to be estrogenic, Peat has mentioned this too. But green tea does not have similar effects, there is a lot of unique stuff going on with cacao.

I have genetically slow COMT (met/met) and through experimentation, I have realized that tea does not work for me because of COMT. Chocolate, however, I have zero problems with so I doubt it inhibits COMT strongly.

Personally, I think the dopamine boost has to do with PEA and Theobromine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals