Are healing mitochondria the key to it all?

mostlylurking

But I had akathisia as well as constant vomiting for ten months (so very poor nutrition and twenty pound weight loss), then I was put on pregabalin (that resolved thank goodness or I'd be dead), but this drug also depletes thiamine, so I am feeling a bit suspicious that this could be a significant factor as my reaction seems highly unusual.
Bingo. Your reaction isn't unusual and this explains what is going on with you. Spend some time reading other people's stories about getting their thiamine function blocked by prescription drugs.
You searched for floxed - Hormones Matter

It was my experience that my thiamine functional blockage caused by taking Bactrim antibiotic June of 2020 did not resolve on its own. By October, 6 months later, I was in serious trouble and severe pain from the lactic acidosis. Fortunately, Haidut mentioned in a radio show that thiamine will reduce lactic acid so I gave it a try. I took about 300mg of thiamine hcl and within 45 minutes all my pain went away and my body temperature rose a full degree, up to normal. But it came back. I spent the next 3 months figuring out the dosage of thiamine hcl that I need to be able to live my life normally.

mostlylurking

But I had akathisia as well as constant vomiting for ten months (so very poor nutrition and twenty pound weight loss), then I was put on pregabalin (that resolved thank goodness or I'd be dead), but this drug also depletes thiamine, so I am feeling a bit suspicious that this could be a significant factor as my reaction seems highly unusual.
a search for "preagabalin and thiamine" is fruitful:
"Lyrica (pregabalin) is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant –boosts potassium levels, depletes the body of thiamine(B1) & vitamin D"

and this collection of 7 articles:

mostlylurking

That is truly fascinating. When I get well, I intend to give more intelligent and comprehensive responses. I only took and SSRI for a few days here and there at tiny doses and the effects were immediate and horrible. Never again. My brain hates serotonin. The thiamine connection - well, I had no idea. But I had akathisia as well as constant vomiting for ten months (so very poor nutrition and twenty pound weight loss), then I was put on pregabalin (that resolved thank goodness or I'd be dead), but this drug also depletes thiamine, so I am feeling a bit suspicious that this could be a significant factor as my reaction seems highly unusual. I feel a bit dumb, as I just realized that the Italian videos have subtitles (I was just trying to discern something before with no notion of what I was hearing, ha, brain clearly needs help).
about akathisia & thiamine:
"Pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency is caused by mutations in genes coding for the mitochondrial pyruvate dehydrogenase complex that has a crucial role in cellular metabolism (PDHA1 in most cases, more rarely PDHA2, PDHX, or DLAT) (190192). Most patients present with severe early-onset encephalopathy, whereas others may present with prominent movement disorders, mainly static and/or paroxysmal dystonia or episodic ataxia. In rare cases, the phenotype may be as mild as isolated PED (193). Investigations typically reveal high lactate and pyruvate levels, a low lactate to pyruvate ratio in blood and CSF and bipallidal lesions on brain MRI, but may be normal in milder cases. Treatment with high doses of thiamine, a co-factor of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex, can be effective in some patients, whereas others respond better to a ketogenic diet (193, 194)."

Constant vomiting for 10 months is also a symptom of thiamine deficiency/functional blockage.

Then they put you on pregabalin which is known to cause thiamine deficiency, which I'm pretty sure was your original problem, and it made the thiamine problem worse.

Here's a video that discusses how high dose thiamine solves the problem by flooding the region with thiamine so the compromised enzyme regains function:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-aQHxp97oA

Elliot Overton has made a lot of very helpful videos about thiamine:
https://www.youtube.com/c/EONutrition/videos Start with the older ones and work your way to the new ones.

OP
T
about akathisia & thiamine:
"Pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency is caused by mutations in genes coding for the mitochondrial pyruvate dehydrogenase complex that has a crucial role in cellular metabolism (PDHA1 in most cases, more rarely PDHA2, PDHX, or DLAT) (190192). Most patients present with severe early-onset encephalopathy, whereas others may present with prominent movement disorders, mainly static and/or paroxysmal dystonia or episodic ataxia. In rare cases, the phenotype may be as mild as isolated PED (193). Investigations typically reveal high lactate and pyruvate levels, a low lactate to pyruvate ratio in blood and CSF and bipallidal lesions on brain MRI, but may be normal in milder cases. Treatment with high doses of thiamine, a co-factor of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex, can be effective in some patients, whereas others respond better to a ketogenic diet (193, 194)."

Constant vomiting for 10 months is also a symptom of thiamine deficiency/functional blockage.

Then they put you on pregabalin which is known to cause thiamine deficiency, which I'm pretty sure was your original problem, and it made the thiamine problem worse.

Here's a video that discusses how high dose thiamine solves the problem by flooding the region with thiamine so the compromised enzyme regains function:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-aQHxp97oA

Elliot Overton has made a lot of very helpful videos about thiamine:
https://www.youtube.com/c/EONutrition/videos Start with the older ones and work your way to the new ones.

Wowowow! I am working on watching them. I have my thiamine hcl in the mail and I really think this might be a major factor for me. I wonder how long it will take to help? No matter - I hope it helps at some point, it will be amazing if it does.

OP
T
a search for "preagabalin and thiamine" is fruitful:
"Lyrica (pregabalin) is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant –boosts potassium levels, depletes the body of thiamine(B1) & vitamin D"

and this collection of 7 articles:
Damn. And my doctor didn't think to replete this? Typical crap. Thank you for these. Helpful and infuriating.

OP
T
Bingo. Your reaction isn't unusual and this explains what is going on with you. Spend some time reading other people's stories about getting their thiamine function blocked by prescription drugs.
You searched for floxed - Hormones Matter

It was my experience that my thiamine functional blockage caused by taking Bactrim antibiotic June of 2020 did not resolve on its own. By October, 6 months later, I was in serious trouble and severe pain from the lactic acidosis. Fortunately, Haidut mentioned in a radio show that thiamine will reduce lactic acid so I gave it a try. I took about 300mg of thiamine hcl and within 45 minutes all my pain went away and my body temperature rose a full degree, up to normal. But it came back. I spent the next 3 months figuring out the dosage of thiamine hcl that I need to be able to live my life normally.
That is an INCREDIBLE story. More people need to know this.

mostlylurking

Wowowow! I am working on watching them. I have my thiamine hcl in the mail and I really think this might be a major factor for me. I wonder how long it will take to help? No matter - I hope it helps at some point, it will be amazing if it does.
Do you have a doctor that will help you? If you can get an injection or IV of thiamine hcl (100mg is standard) then you could see good improvement within days. Did you watch the patient videos?
This one in particular:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSZPQ8eLvag

then

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kfVr0wtdso
watch with the cc activated for subtitles. Follow what the patient reports.

mostlylurking

Damn. And my doctor didn't think to replete this? Typical crap. Thank you for these. Helpful and infuriating.
They don't teach doctors about vitamins in most medical schools. Besides, what would they do if they actually cured illnesses? Terrible business model. I really am sour on doctors now; I've had too many bad experiences over many years. That said though, you can sometimes find a decent human being masquerading as a physician. Orthomolecular doctors seem to have a little more on the ball but you really have to be discerning when making the selection because they are all in business to make money. I stumbled upon one in 1994 who saved my life but he became wheelchair bound and retired and would be around 96 if he were still living. Here's a link: Welcome To Orthomolecular.org and Orthomolecular.org - Practitioners. Also this: Vitamin B1 Just because the organization seems to be knowledgeable does not mean the doctors on their list are. Functional physicians also might be worth looking into: What is Functional Medicine? | IFM but again, just because somebody went through the courses does not mean that they actually want to go so far as to cure people.

Last edited:
K

Kaur Singh

akathisia for months... yikes!

You may have mentioned this elsewhere:
cyproheptadine?
is/was E at any point part of your repertoire?
when you have taken progesterone, pregnenolone - have you done so with them dissolved in E?
or together at the same time?

you may want to revisit substances in your healing journey
so that as one brings benefits
it allows for others to work better that they did in the past etc

For myself, TPP was the form of B1 that worked. Sublingual.

Also, I want to second that re: 'safe' doses per studies, per other's experiences, etc.
You don't have a way of knowing how a person's body is organizing itself at any given point
specially someone who is already having issues/weird disesases
I see it wise to test out a small small small amount of any given substance at first,
to see how your body reacts.
this applies to foods as well.

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

DonLore

5m
If you are having cerebral symptoms, odds are serotonin might be involved. According to the PubMed article, more than 5 mgs of methylene blue can be fatal via serotonin toxicity. This poster said they are ingesting 15mg/day (?) (3 doses of 5mgs each). It seems to me that perhaps somebody should point out there could be a problem with this so I pointed it out.

I'm familiar with the extolled virtues of methylene blue. I'm also familiar with the fact that it can kill you and that it is known to have heavy metals contamination. Let the dabbler in the blue dye beware.
5mg/kg, not 5mg..

mostlylurking

Felt like a herxheimer/die-off or just didnt agree with your brain chemistry?
I was very high serotonin because I was thiamine deficient. I posted the explanation with links. Please note that thiamine is required to maintain the blood brain barrier so it makes sense that if you have a thiamine deficiency you might be hypersensitive to lots of things, including methylene blue.

Last edited:
OP
T
akathisia for months... yikes!

You may have mentioned this elsewhere:
cyproheptadine?
is/was E at any point part of your repertoire?
when you have taken progesterone, pregnenolone - have you done so with them dissolved in E?
or together at the same time?

you may want to revisit substances in your healing journey
so that as one brings benefits
it allows for others to work better that they did in the past etc

For myself, TPP was the form of B1 that worked. Sublingual.

Also, I want to second that re: 'safe' doses per studies, per other's experiences, etc.
You don't have a way of knowing how a person's body is organizing itself at any given point
specially someone who is already having issues/weird disesases
I see it wise to test out a small small small amount of any given substance at first,
to see how your body reacts.
this applies to foods as well.

good luck!
Thank you so much - such wise and kind advice and of course the kindness and caring of @mostlylurking. What an amazing group we have here, and my ability to become a member was just pure luck at a moment when new memberships were allowed for a short time. Perhaps the universe hates me less than I thought (these things start to feel personal like a cosmic punishment.

I feel so lucky to be part of this forum and hope that my healing one day will allow me to contribute in the way that you have all contributed to my healing.

My akathisia was resolved with pregabalin, and this saved my life as I was ready to end it due to the indescribable pain of it. But pregabalin depletes thiamine, and I had no absolutely no idea, and I am certain that no one else on it knows either. As I listen and read all the material so kindly provided, I've also noted that repletion should be done carefully but adequately (and that could eventually be a lot in my case due to the lack of ability to eat for so long and drastic weight loss - twenty pounds on a 5'3 frame (I was a normal weight of 129 pounds) wasn't great and happened quickly.

My hope is that through these corrective procedures, I can become medication free more quickly but more importantly perhaps I can regain what I lost. The dream is to be better than when I started. It seemed unrealistic at first until I started putting the pieces together from all of these responses, reading and re-reading everything and really having faith in the regenerative power of my brain and body.

OP
T
I was very high serotonin because I was thiamine deficient. I posted the explanation with links. Please note that thiamine is required to maintain the blood brain barrier so it makes sense that if you have a thiamine deficiency you might be hypersensitive to lots of things, including methylene blue.
Wow, yes, I must have horribly high serotonin. Methylene blue is out for now, as anything that increases serotonin, even a stomach ache, causes all sorts of problems. I just had no idea about thiamine. I am reading an re-reading, watching and re-watching, taking notes and learning more and more. I am still a bit uncertain as to where to start, but it seems slow and steady is the way. Thank you x a million again.

Donttreadonme

To answer the OP and the subject matter, No, healing mitochondria is not the key to it all. I would say that it's not even most of it. If you want to rejuvenate your mitochondria that I suggest C60oo and stearic acid. Its a good regimen I have used and will continue to use periodically.

Most of the missing pieces of the puzzle are gene expression, glycation, lipofuscin, telomeres, and diet.

Ben.

To answer the OP and the subject matter, No, healing mitochondria is not the key to it all. I would say that it's not even most of it. If you want to rejuvenate your mitochondria that I suggest C60oo and stearic acid. Its a good regimen I have used and will continue to use periodically.

Most of the missing pieces of the puzzle are gene expression, glycation, lipofuscin, telomeres, and diet.

Sadly i didn't notice much from C60 unfortunately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals