Are healing mitochondria the key to it all?

mostlylurking

Wow, yes, I must have horribly high serotonin. Methylene blue is out for now, as anything that increases serotonin, even a stomach ache, causes all sorts of problems. I just had no idea about thiamine. I am reading an re-reading, watching and re-watching, taking notes and learning more and more. I am still a bit uncertain as to where to start, but it seems slow and steady is the way. Thank you x a million again.
Be patient with yourself and listen to your body. Keep reading and learning. I do think that thiamine supplementation will be helpful. Glad you're here on the forum!

Rish

I wound up following Dr. Costantini's protocol here: HDT Therapy . For my weight, the recommended dose of thiamine hcl is 2 grams/day, divided into two doses, one in the morning and one in the afternoon at 3:00pm. This dose (for 7 days) is equivalent to getting one 100mg injection of thiamine hcl a week. The only negative side effect I've had is that it tastes pretty nasty as the instructions say it must be taken only with water, never juice. I've gotten used to the taste. I'm using the pure bulk powder from bulksupplements.com. I also take magnesium and a b-complex, plus a few other things, but the magnesium and b-complex are important to take when high dosing thiamine.
Did they mention why thiamine can’t be taken with juice?

mostlylurking

Did they mention why thiamine can’t be taken with juice?
The sugar cancels it out. It works better to space things with sugar/starch at least 30 minutes before or after taking the thiamine. Sour things are also warned about; I don't know the reason why. Coffee is a problem too; instead of forbidding it, Dr. Costantini recommended to cut back to one cup/day and taking it an hour away from taking the thiamine.

OP
T
Be patient with yourself and listen to your body. Keep reading and learning. I do think that thiamine supplementation will be helpful. Glad you're here on the forum!
I just wanted to come back and post a thank you. I am still researching and learning, reading and trying things. I am only 5 days into my high dose thiamine hcl experiment, adding in cofactors as well (magnesium, selenium, B complex, considering more niacinamide). So far, I believe it is waking up something in my brain. It doesn't always feel good (likely still getting doses right), but it feels different. I am also looking into how progesterone might affect micronutrients, since that is the other healing agent I am using. I just wanted to write a quick update and thank you for all the care that you took in providing me with links and information. I have a feeling this is going to make a really big difference. Will post back in a few more weeks.

mostlylurking

I just wanted to come back and post a thank you. I am still researching and learning, reading and trying things. I am only 5 days into my high dose thiamine hcl experiment, adding in cofactors as well (magnesium, selenium, B complex, considering more niacinamide). So far, I believe it is waking up something in my brain. It doesn't always feel good (likely still getting doses right), but it feels different. I am also looking into how progesterone might affect micronutrients, since that is the other healing agent I am using. I just wanted to write a quick update and thank you for all the care that you took in providing me with links and information. I have a feeling this is going to make a really big difference. Will post back in a few more weeks.
Thank you for the update. About niacinamide: I have found for me personally that I don't do well on higher doses of niacinamide. I found that I do better on smaller doses (90mg) more frequently (4Xday instead of 2Xday). But that's me. Ray Peat recommends the 90mg amount for niacinamide. Because it is water soluble it only sticks around in the body for maybe a couple of hours. Other people on the forum use more of it but higher doses make me sort of loopy.

I look forward to your future updates!

Bart1

Very good thread! I’m currently trying a combination of TTFD and Thiamin HCL. I don’t yet experience any improvements. I’m doing this for over 6 months. TTFD makes me weaker it seems, so I want to try a highet dose of HCL since that seems to make me feel better. @mostlylurking you say you take it with water. On a empty stomach? From any b vitamin I get severe hypoglycemic symptoms if I don’t take it with food

mostlylurking

Very good thread! I’m currently trying a combination of TTFD and Thiamin HCL. I don’t yet experience any improvements. I’m doing this for over 6 months. TTFD makes me weaker it seems, so I want to try a highet dose of HCL since that seems to make me feel better. @mostlylurking you say you take it with water. On a empty stomach? From any b vitamin I get severe hypoglycemic symptoms if I don’t take it with food
I'm following Dr. Costantini's advice about how to take thiamine hcl orally. His site is here: HDT Therapy more advice is here: FAQ. Dr. Costantini said to take thiamine hcl with water, never with anything sweet or sour. He also advised to separate taking it by 30 minutes (?) from eating/drinking things with sugar. I assume this also includes refined carbs because they convert to sugar very quickly. I've found these parameters to be pretty easy to follow. Thiamine does make me hungry (drops blood sugar) but 30 minutes really isn't very long; you just need to plan ahead.

OP
T
That's a really long trial to not see any improvements. I've heard that these can deplete other B vitamins, especially B2 but also B6, B9 and B12 as well as magnesium. They also seem to require some selenium and other essential minerals. I have combined all of these, so we'll see. Still early days for me (a few weeks now.) Still, after doing a lot of reading, I am pretty convinced this is part of my problem. I think for me it might need to be combined with thyroid support as well, which I've done for a long time, but will be testing as I go.

Bart1

I'm following Dr. Costantini's advice about how to take thiamine hcl orally. His site is here: HDT Therapy more advice is here: FAQ. Dr. Costantini said to take thiamine hcl with water, never with anything sweet or sour. He also advised to separate taking it by 30 minutes (?) from eating/drinking things with sugar. I assume this also includes refined carbs because they convert to sugar very quickly. I've found these parameters to be pretty easy to follow. Thiamine does make me hungry (drops blood sugar) but 30 minutes really isn't very long; you just need to plan ahead.
Thanks! Good to know! I will try it but I do quickly get hypoglycemic symptoms, but if his patients could handle it, so should I I would say

Bart1

That's a really long trial to not see any improvements. I've heard that these can deplete other B vitamins, especially B2 but also B6, B9 and B12 as well as magnesium. They also seem to require some selenium and other essential minerals. I have combined all of these, so we'll see. Still early days for me (a few weeks now.) Still, after doing a lot of reading, I am pretty convinced this is part of my problem. I think for me it might need to be combined with thyroid support as well, which I've done for a long time, but will be testing as I go.
It is, I have more issues like chronic lyme. I think TTFD is interesting, but what I see with a lof of people it creates other deficiencies/problems

mostlylurking

Thanks! Good to know! I will try it but I do quickly get hypoglycemic symptoms, but if his patients could handle it, so should I I would say
Hypoglycemic symptoms can happen when burning sugar for fuel (oxidative metabolism) is blocked. Thiamine is required to burn sugar because it is a co-factor for key enzymes needed in the process. If you can't burn glucose due to a thiamine deficiency you can feel hypoglycemic even through your blood sugar is high.

Bart1

Hypoglycemic symptoms can happen when burning sugar for fuel (oxidative metabolism) is blocked. Thiamine is required to burn sugar because it is a co-factor for key enzymes needed in the process. If you can't burn glucose due to a thiamine deficiency you can feel hypoglycemic even through your blood sugar is high.
Yeah, but how do I fix that if I need the Thiamin. That’s my biggest issue. Cortisol raises with me and sometimes muscle wasting occurs. So I have to be real careful

OP
T
Yeah, but how do I fix that if I need the Thiamin. That’s my biggest issue. Cortisol raises with me and sometimes muscle wasting occurs. So I have to be real careful
I take the whole B complex, selenium, magnesium and extra thiamine as TTFD (but I started with high dose thiamine hcl which gave me diarrhea). I have intense sugar cravings, so always have orange juice on hand. My sugar issues are resolving slowly. Just my experience.

Bart1

I take the whole B complex, selenium, magnesium and extra thiamine as TTFD (but I started with high dose thiamine hcl which gave me diarrhea). I have intense sugar cravings, so always have orange juice on hand. My sugar issues are resolving slowly. Just my experience.
According to dr Lonsdale one can not expect recover with sugar consumption.

OP
T
I have read this, but on the other hand, there are some cases where people required sugar to maintain metabolism. Sugar burns up thiamine as part of the metabolic process but isn't necessarily all bad. I am pretty sure Ray Peat would not agree with Dr. Longsdale on the sugar issue.

mostlylurking

I don't think that Dr. Lonsdale is as big a stickler about sugar as Dr. Marrs is. Dr. Lonsdale frowns on consuming fruit juice but is just fine with eating fruit. Moderation is key and knowing your limits is important. I still drink orange juice without any problems but I can't consume home made gummies or coffee without major regret. It's not worth it.

Bart1

I can’t function without carbs as well I think. Also, how would I get my calories, i have really bad digestion so too much protein or fat a no go

OP
T
I can’t function without carbs as well I think. Also, how would I get my calories, i have really bad digestion so too much protein or fat a no go
100%. When I don't eat adequate carbs, my T3 tanks. Even with supplementation of T3, I still feel awful. I think we have to trust our bodies and not go by someone's formula.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals