Are healing mitochondria the key to it all?

I've been reading over as much of Ray Peat's writings as I can. He talks about foods, hormones, neurotransmitters and more. But what occurred to me is that if we could repair the mitochondria, would all of the rest take care of itself?

How do we heal the mitochondria? I am not going to list every single thing I do, but for mitochondria, I do methylene blue, K2, Coenzyme Q10. I avoid breathless exercise and focus on walking and building muscle gently. I eat a Peaty diet and limit stress.

How do others heal the mitochondria? What am I missing?

Apple

brown fat...?
babies are born with high amount of brown fat.
It contains a large number of mitochondria. These mitochondria are the "engines" in brown fat that burn calories to produce heat.

youngsinatra

Many things inhibit oxidative phosphorylation and act like barriers to energy production.

Deficiencies require adding-in.
Toxicities require removing-out or mitigation at least. (PUFAs, various heavy metals, iron overload, pesticides, pharma residues, EMF…)

Our food system and the environment we live in today is very toxic and many of us have grown up ingesting various toxic elements.

Last edited:

BonbonUK

I remember a while back seeing a video from the Classical Stretch/Essentrics lady (Miranda Esmond-White) claiming that her exercise program heals the mitochondria, no idea if there's any science behind it but it could be worth looking into. I've done some of her exercise videos (there are lots of free ones on Youtube) and a lot of the exercises remind me of things I did in dance training 25 years ago, which makes sense as she was a ballet dancer. I now have chronic fatigue with severe exercise intolerance and this type of stretching exercise (plus some walking) is the only thing I can do without getting burned out and needing 2 days in bed to recover.

Last edited:

freyasam

I now have chronic fatigue with severe exercise intolerance and this type of stretching exercise (plus some walking) is the only thing I can do without getting burned out and needing 2 days in bed to recover.
I looked up a video of hers -- I wouldn't be able to do a minute of that program without crashing.

mostlylurking

I've been reading over as much of Ray Peat's writings as I can. He talks about foods, hormones, neurotransmitters and more. But what occurred to me is that if we could repair the mitochondria, would all of the rest take care of itself?

How do we heal the mitochondria? I am not going to list every single thing I do, but for mitochondria, I do methylene blue, K2, Coenzyme Q10. I avoid breathless exercise and focus on walking and building muscle gently. I eat a Peaty diet and limit stress.

I'd stop the methylene blue (it's an mao inhibitor).

There's good information in this Ray Peat article: Mitochondria and mortality Multiple suggestions are throughout the article.

It is helpful to focus on optimizing oxidative metabolism which is done by the mitochondria. Thyroid hormone is a big one but not the only thing. Thiamine deficiency will block oxidative metabolism so learning about thiamine would be helpful.

mostlylurking

I now have chronic fatigue with severe exercise intolerance
Consider the possibility of a thiamine deficiency or functional blockage. I experienced excellent improvement via high dose thiamine.

for your consideration:

TheCodez

Consider the possibility of a thiamine deficiency or functional blockage. I experienced excellent improvement via high dose thiamine.

for your consideration:

How high is this "high" that you've found beneficial?

mostlylurking

How high is this "high" that you've found beneficial?
I wound up following Dr. Costantini's protocol here: HDT Therapy . For my weight, the recommended dose of thiamine hcl is 2 grams/day, divided into two doses, one in the morning and one in the afternoon at 3:00pm. This dose (for 7 days) is equivalent to getting one 100mg injection of thiamine hcl a week. The only negative side effect I've had is that it tastes pretty nasty as the instructions say it must be taken only with water, never juice. I've gotten used to the taste. I'm using the pure bulk powder from bulksupplements.com. I also take magnesium and a b-complex, plus a few other things, but the magnesium and b-complex are important to take when high dosing thiamine.

Last edited:

BonbonUK

I looked up a video of hers -- I wouldn't be able to do a minute of that program without crashing.
I seem to be able to do about 10-15 minutes on a good day, but not every day. I'm still learning by trial and error what I can and can't do, but it seems that slow paced movement is ok, but fast cardio type stuff will usually make me crash.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals