Any Permanent Negative Side Effects From Cyproheptadine?

ddjd

as stated in the title, has anyone experienced any permanent negative side effects after taking cyproheptadine?

ive personally had weight gain and very regular pink eye since using cyproheptadine. But i think the positives still outweigh the negatives

guapeat

The only negative I experience is that it takes me some extra coffee in the morning to get me going. I have been using 2 mg in the evening off and on the last 2 years and it always gives me great sleep and dreams.

Constatine

The constipation is causes can lead to issues over time. If your someone who is very prone to its constipating effects bacterial overgrowth is a concern. Its unclear how the positive aspects of cyproheptadine would influence this risk.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

The only negative I experience is that it takes me some extra coffee in the morning to get me going. I have been using 2 mg in the evening off and on the last 2 years and it always gives me great sleep and dreams.
I know what you mean about great sleep quality!

@Antonello didn't you say once that cyproheptadine messed something up long term for you?

guapeat

I think it helped me put on weight and become more diabetic.

Thankfully I am on a heavy anti-diabetic protocol to restore insulin sensitivity.

Otherwise cypro gave me the most amazing sleeps ever, but made it difficult to wake up. Typical.

What is your strategy on restoring insulin sensitivity?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
What is your strategy on restoring insulin sensitivity?

Currently developing a webinar on this exact topic.

But essentially:
-Brewer's yeast
-Metformin 250mg 3 days a week.
-Cinsulin extract
-Cinnulin PF
-TUDCA 100mg every 3rd day.
-Taurine 3000mg daily.
-At least 10K steps per day.
-Heavy weight training.
-Olive leaf twice a week.

There's a few other things too. My carb intake sits around 200-250 grams per day.

Sagitarrius90

When I stopped taking Cypro I put on around 5-10 lbs of water weight (I calculate my calories and currently dieting so impossible to gain that much over 3-4 days while dieting- scientifically at least).

I am thinking I suppressed serotonin and cortisol and when I abdruptly stopped it caused a massive rebound in cortisol and serotonin. So moral of the story is maybe consider slowly lowering you're dose before you come off and don't do what I did and just stop cause gaining 5-10lbs of water is not a good look

Jessie

I've only used the substance a handful of times but each time was a very positive outcome for me. I'd get very relaxed (but not tired) and warm, like a peaceful feeling. I can not comment on someone who uses it daily, but there was no apparent problems for me. I still have some on hand, but I notice l-theanine gives me similar results and is much easier to get (and probably less side effects).

Sagitarrius90

I meant more for when you come off. While on it's legit a wonder drug In my opinion I loved it I'm ordering more but I'm going to keep the dose alot lower.. cant wait to shed all the water I've held onto which I've realized is stress/cortisol increasing blood sodium dropping my potassium levels to nothing ive been so thirsty and not peeing either. So I've since increased potassium while I'm off cypro to deal with the water retention and trying to lower estrogen as well now. Thank god I'm on caber so my prolactin didnt shoot up. Wish i did find a Canadian source for bromocriptine but I'll shut up now lol

Orangeyouglad

I recently saw a study where a man developed Cushing's after coming off Cypro use, which makes sense, but I think he was at a much higher daily dose than we see around here. Sadly, I don't know if these effects were alleviated after a while. I'll have to go back and find the study.

Sagitarrius90

That's insane I swear I had Cushing symptoms like to a TEE... I was using around 2-4mg a day but I'd need to read the study how much he was using how long etc.

I wouldnt say I developed cushings but It was high cortisol 1000% which has increased my e2 levels since I'm on trt so it's a bit of a ***t storm right now

Orangeyouglad

That's insane I swear I had Cushing symptoms like to a TEE... I was using around 2-4mg a day but I'd need to read the study how much he was using how long etc.

I wouldnt say I developed cushings but It was high cortisol 1000% which has increased my e2 levels since I'm on trt so it's a bit of a ***t storm right now

Wouldn't a slow taper off cypro be more helpful? I think most people here are using .5-1mg daily. Even then, I'd taper off. I feel effects from just .5mg

Sagitarrius90

Yeah I used up my bottle and stopped cold Turkey. No withdrawl symptoms just massive cortisol spike and high serotonin. Next time around I'll wean off slowly.

Taking vitamin a pregenelone magnesium and niacimide to lower the cortisol until I can get back on cypro. Highly advise anyone reading this to not stop randomly unless you want to retain a boat load of water

Jessie

Oh, yeah I didn't notice anything particular after coming off of it except perhaps more stress, but that would follow logic if serotonin creeps back up again. I could be wrong but I've always been under the impression that antiserotonin chemicals are suppose to be used as a temporary stop gap to break the stress cycle, not so much for continual usage.

dreamcatcher

Cyproheptadine suppresses the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis. It's also an appetite stimulant.
According to Ray Peat, it's only safe in small amounts (0.5-1mg) and should only be taken when needed.
According to medical research, it's the most effective when taken on and off, 5 days on, 2 days off and the general advise is to not to take it longer than 3-4 weeks when using it continuously.

This might interest you as well:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...hair+growth&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=MVdUj4HbefMJ

R J

Cyproheptadine suppresses the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis. It's also an appetite stimulant.
According to Ray Peat, it's only safe in small amounts (0.5-1mg) and should only be taken when needed.
According to medical research, it's the most effective when taken on and off, 5 days on, 2 days off and the general advise is to not to take it longer than 3-4 weeks when using it continuously.

This might interest you as well:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&q=cyproheptadine+hair+growth&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=MVdUj4HbefMJ

What the heck...? Dianabol and cyproheptadine combo for appetite? Given to children? What in the name of ....

limitless77

as stated in the title, has anyone experienced any permanent negative side effects after taking cyproheptadine?

ive personally had weight gain and very regular pink eye since using cyproheptadine. But i think the positives still outweigh the negatives
what positives did you get from it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals