Mitigating the negative effects of Cyproheptadine

Jayvee

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I’m looking at options for including Cyproheptadine into my plan. I am a sufferer of PFS and have been for over 4 years now. I respond really well to Cyproheptadine and it gives me the deep sleep that I think my body desperately needs. I don’t think I have had more than 2 weeks of ‘good sleep’ in over 4 years so I’m exploring all options here.

I am considering doing a ‘day on day off’ approach with 0.5mg of Cyproheptadine and then including Metergoline to try and mitigate some of the negative effects of Cypro. Does anyone have any ideas on if this could work?

or better still, is their an alternative to this?

ultimately I am wanting some good deep sleep. Taurine seems to make me feel a bit whacked for some reason as do a few other things. Probably GABA related.

Any help here would be great!

Ignoramus

I would love to know this too. I really miss my cypro sleeps ?. Ultimately I had to kick it because it seemed to **** my reward circuitry up too much; I became a lazy (but well-rested) blob.

It's annoying, but I think the best bet is to fix the metabolic issues 'properly', and to try to understand what the real issues are. For me I think it is to do with having too much cortisol, and with being hypothyroid in general. Maybe it's something different for you though.

What seems to be working for me regarding sleep:

-Having some sugar every hour. I drink sweetened herbal tea all day. If I start to notice myself getting an anxious/high cortisol feeling then I make conscious effort to calm down, breathe and sip on something sweet
-Having a bowl of white rice with coconut oil right before bed. Warm sweetened milk can be good too (but sometimes it gives me congestion, so idk)
-Exercising less. If I even begin to start mouth breathing then I slow things right down
-Cutting back on coffee. I think my liver just can't handle that much, and I usually get a bit of a stress response from it
-Meditation, especially before bed. The goal is to reach a calm state of blissful nothingness (like Moksha, or whatever you want to call it). Meditation can help you to 'practice' being calm, and as you improve it becomes more easy to enter this state
-Supps don't seem to help me so much, but maybe try thiamine, glycine, etc.
-Making my room more comfortable, getting an air purifier, practicing 'sleep hygiene', etc.

Good luck bud!

redsun

I would love to know this too. I really miss my cypro sleeps ?. Ultimately I had to kick it because it seemed to **** my reward circuitry up too much; I became a lazy (but well-rested) blob.

It's annoying, but I think the best bet is to fix the metabolic issues 'properly', and to try to understand what the real issues are. For me I think it is to do with having too much cortisol, and with being hypothyroid in general. Maybe it's something different for you though.

What seems to be working for me regarding sleep:

-Having some sugar every hour. I drink sweetened herbal tea all day. If I start to notice myself getting an anxious/high cortisol feeling then I make conscious effort to calm down, breathe and sip on something sweet
-Having a bowl of white rice with coconut oil right before bed. Warm sweetened milk can be good too (but sometimes it gives me congestion, so idk)
-Exercising less. If I even begin to start mouth breathing then I slow things right down
-Cutting back on coffee. I think my liver just can't handle that much, and I usually get a bit of a stress response from it
-Meditation, especially before bed. The goal is to reach a calm state of blissful nothingness (like Moksha, or whatever you want to call it). Meditation can help you to 'practice' being calm, and as you improve it becomes more easy to enter this state
-Supps don't seem to help me so much, but maybe try thiamine, glycine, etc.
-Making my room more comfortable, getting an air purifier, practicing 'sleep hygiene', etc.

Good luck bud!

Cypro kills histamine, which is heavily involved alongside dopamine in promoting drive, motivation, energy, etc. Some are more prone this, and some dont get this at all from cypro. Since generally, serotonin antagonism promotes drive which cypro also does which may help balance it out for others. It's individual.

Usually magnesium in the afternoon will promote sleep without that problem.

Ignoramus

Cypro kills histamine, which is heavily involved alongside dopamine in promoting drive, motivation, energy, etc. Some are more prone this, and some dont get this at all from cypro. Since generally, serotonin antagonism promotes drive which cypro also does which may help balance it out for others. It's individual.

Usually magnesium in the afternoon will promote sleep without that problem.
Thank you :): I've been thinking about trying magnesium; which type would be best for sleep and at what dose? I've read some conflicting information about it...

redsun

Thank you :): I've been thinking about trying magnesium; which type would be best for sleep and at what dose? I've read some conflicting information about it...

Magnesium glycinate. Both magnesium and glycine can promote sleep.

tankasnowgod

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I’m looking at options for including Cyproheptadine into my plan. I am a sufferer of PFS and have been for over 4 years now. I respond really well to Cyproheptadine and it gives me the deep sleep that I think my body desperately needs. I don’t think I have had more than 2 weeks of ‘good sleep’ in over 4 years so I’m exploring all options here.

I am considering doing a ‘day on day off’ approach with 0.5mg of Cyproheptadine and then including Metergoline to try and mitigate some of the negative effects of Cypro. Does anyone have any ideas on if this could work?

or better still, is their an alternative to this?

ultimately I am wanting some good deep sleep. Taurine seems to make me feel a bit whacked for some reason as do a few other things. Probably GABA related.

Any help here would be great!

What negatives are you referring to?

If it's the initial "Zombie" like state in the mornings, I personally found that taking a loading dose like 4mg for a few days will enable you to "push" through it (you will have to deal with it for a few days). You can then cut back the dosage to 1mg or 0.5, and shouldn't get the "zombieness) in the AM. Others have done this "loading dose" with success, and I've heard that Peat even recommends this strategy.

That's the only real negative I noticed with cypro. I am still using about 4-8mg a day.

Ignoramus

If it's the initial "Zombie" like state in the mornings, I personally found that taking a loading dose like 4mg for a few days will enable you to "push" through it (you will have to deal with it for a few days). You can then cut back the dosage to 1mg or 0.5, and shouldn't get the "zombieness) in the AM. Others have done this "loading dose" with success, and I've heard that Peat even recommends this strategy.

That's the only real negative I noticed with cypro. I am still using about 4-8mg a day.
For me this worked for like 5 months or so, but something happened where my dopamine crashed (or something), and I just lost all motivation. I've been in the process of trying to regain my old drive; I'm nearly there, but it has taken months... Any idea what this is about? Possibly not the cypro?

tankasnowgod

For me this worked for like 5 months or so, but something happened where my dopamine crashed (or something), and I just lost all motivation. I've been in the process of trying to regain my old drive; I'm nearly there, but it has taken months... Any idea what this is about? Possibly not the cypro?

Not sure. However, if this happened in 2020, I wouldn't hesitate to point the finger at soul crushing governments and the Mass Satanic Media.

OP
Jayvee

Jayvee

Did you start on a larger dose to begin with?

Have you tried Hans’s dopamine stack and/or Metergoline? They seem promising to me, but not yet tried either.

OP
Jayvee

Jayvee

Thanks! How long you been taking it? Do you intend to come off after a certain amount of time? I think it’s more so the becoming reliant and messing with and increasing seretonin coming off that I think I’m most concerned about.

tankasnowgod

Thanks! How long you been taking it? Do you intend to come off after a certain amount of time? I think it’s more so the becoming reliant and messing with and increasing seretonin coming off that I think I’m most concerned about.

I've been taking it for about 4-5 months now. It's been a lifesaver during these times, maybe literally. I do intend to come off of it at a certain point, although I wanted to do a little bit longer term dose, around a year, based on this testimonial-

The improvement in digestion really piqued my interest. That's always been a bit of an issue for me, but a relatively minor one. I was also trying to see if there were some body recomp benefits, in regards to blocking serotonin. Some of Haidut's posts suggest this, along with the fact that it's used for Cushing's, although the fact that it can increase hunger (from the anti-histaimine part) seems to be a confounder in results. I'm not terribly worried about becoming reliant on it, haven't seen much to suggest that (which doesn't mean those concerns don't exist). I also have quite a supply, and have used it intermittently in the past, so I am more than willing to accept that potential tradeoff at this point. It's been very helpful.

HustlinHussar

Any insight as to why this works, and how long would the loading period typically take?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals