Can Weight Gained From Cyproheptadine Ever Be Lost?

Peata

ilovethesea said:
post 99317
Peata said:
post 99243
ilovethesea said:
post 79635 I've been taking cypro for about a year and it really helped me. But it also made me gain weight. Not sure exactly how much as I don't weigh myself, but some pants are too snug to be able to wear.

Is cypro weight gain really permanent? I know it says this on the bottle but is that really true?

In my experience, no, it's not permanent.

Did you lose some weight recently Peata? What worked for you - did you stop the cypro?

i detail it here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5877&start=240 Particularly the last two pages. I've been losing slowly over the last 3.5 months. I'm down about 12 pounds.

I did stop taking cypro regularly in early July. I take in on rare occasions now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peata

Makrosky said:
post 99389
Peata said:
I did stop taking cypro regularly in early July. I take in on rare occasions now.
You don't need it anymore?

I felt I had reached a point where it wasn't helping me (mentally/emotionally) like it does in the first couple months I take it. I experimented with lysine and taurine after that.

Makrosky

Peata said:
Makrosky said:
post 99389
Peata said:

I felt I had reached a point where it wasn't helping me (mentally/emotionally) like it does in the first couple months I take it. I experimented with lysine and taurine after that.

Thanks Peata. Could you please elaborate on the mental-emotional issues you had? I'm trialing cypro these days and I find it works quite good relieving stress and gut issues but it tends to make me more apathetic and dull.

I don't know if this is caused by the sedation of the first days which gets better over time.

Peata

Makrosky said:
post 99436
Peata said:
Makrosky said:
post 99389
Peata said:

Thanks Peata. Could you please elaborate on the mental-emotional issues you had? I'm trialing cypro these days and I find it works quite good relieving stress and gut issues but it tends to make me more apathetic and dull.

I don't know if this is caused by the sedation of the first days which gets better over time.

It helped stabilize my moods. It was subtle (no drugged feeling), but after 2 weeks or more on cypro, increasing dose gradually, I had more even moods with less anxiety or worry about the future (what ifs) and had motivation and drive. This lasted a couple months and then it didn't seem to last, or maybe my life situation changed to be more stressful. At any rate, I tapered off of it. I never felt flat-lined emotions or anything negative emotionally like some have reported.

Makrosky

Peata said:
post 99522
Makrosky said:
post 99436
Peata said:
Makrosky said:
post 99389
Peata said:

It helped stabilize my moods. It was subtle (no drugged feeling), but after 2 weeks or more on cypro, increasing dose gradually, I had more even moods with less anxiety or worry about the future (what ifs) and had motivation and drive. This lasted a couple months and then it didn't seem to last, or maybe my life situation changed to be more stressful. At any rate, I tapered off of it. I never felt flat-lined emotions or anything negative emotionally like some have reported.

Much appreciated! Thanks!

tomisonbottom

Cyproheptadine never helped my allergies at all, but maybe I wasn't taking enough. (took up to 11 mg day) But it was difficult to do that when it increased my appetite and my weight climbed. But anyway, it's strange to me that theanine is helping my allergies so much. I can breathe well and not have all those coughing fits. I've seen past posts about similar actions of cypro and theanine, such as lowered cortisol, acth, serotonin, etc. I just find it interesting that theanine is helping allergies when cypro is actually labeled the antihistamine.

I started cypro recently too. Did your weight ever level out or did you have to stop taking it?

Peata

I started cypro recently too. Did your weight ever level out or did you have to stop taking it?

Yes, the increased hunger side effect went away eventually. But I've also lost a little weight recently, which I attribute to Biotin and vitamin E.

tomisonbottom

Yes, the increased hunger side effect went away eventually. But I've also lost a little weight recently, which I attribute to Biotin and vitamin E.

That's interesting. How much weight? And how much biotin and E?

Peata

That's interesting. How much weight? And how much biotin and E?

I've lost five pounds in a month. I used to not be able to lose at all. I'd calorie restrict and lose some, but then it would come right back on. I eat around 2000 calories per day now, low fat and high carb.

I'm mostly bloat-free now too, other than a few days around ovulation and some during period.

I've been taking 15 mg biotin in the a.m., 10 mg. middle of day, 10 mg. at night. And using Swanson's gamma tocopherols. Usually 1 capsule per day but since ovulation I've been taking 2 to help with increased symptoms during luteal phase.

tomisonbottom

I've lost five pounds in a month. I used to not be able to lose at all. I'd calorie restrict and lose some, but then it would come right back on. I eat around 2000 calories per day now, low fat and high carb.

I'm mostly bloat-free now too, other than a few days around ovulation and some during period.

I've been taking 15 mg biotin in the a.m., 10 mg. middle of day, 10 mg. at night. And using Swanson's gamma tocopherols. Usually 1 capsule per day but since ovulation I've been taking 2 to help with increased symptoms during luteal phase.

That's awesome. Congrats. Keep us posted if it continues. Do you avoid starch? Seems to cause problems for me....bloating, etc. When I did paleo and was high fat, low starch, I didn't have any bloating. But some people around here swear by high carb, starches included and low fat for weight loss. I guess it just varies person to person, depending on where their body is at.

Peata

That's awesome. Congrats. Keep us posted if it continues. Do you avoid starch? Seems to cause problems for me....bloating, etc. When I did paleo and was high fat, low starch, I didn't have any bloating. But some people around here swear by high carb, starches included and low fat for weight loss. I guess it just varies person to person, depending on where their body is at.

I've been able to get away with some starch. I averaged 65 g. day for the past week. I make french fries almost daily. Occasional sandwich, rice, etc.

tomisonbottom

Yes, and actually all antihistamines are known to stimulate appetite and thus cause weight gain via this mechanism. It's possible that lowering stress hormones is involved too I suppose, but antihistamines and weight gain go together.

I've lost a good 10-15 pounds hitting my ideal weight from doing a Peat-approved diet but I keep it fairly low fat which seems to be the key for most people

Did you reduce starches too to lose weight? And were you hypo?

artist

Did you reduce starches too to lose weight? And were you hypo?
Correct I did not eat starches while losing the weight and yeah I consider myself hypo, started taking NDT after testing about 3.3 TSH and having depression, severe coldness, edema etc etc

tomisonbottom

Correct I did not eat starches while losing the weight and yeah I consider myself hypo, started taking NDT after testing about 3.3 TSH and having depression, severe coldness, edema etc etc

That's helpful. How long did it take you to lose that 10-15 pounds? Are were you able to resolve the rest of those symptoms?

artist

That's helpful. How long did it take you to lose that 10-15 pounds? Are were you able to resolve the rest of those symptoms?
I'm not sure because it wasn't completely linear and I've lost some more recently as well. There were basically a few whooshes of weight loss, like once every 3 months or so, with the biggest whooshes at the beginning and I've been on thyroid for just over a year now. I'm not 100% perfect health wise but definitely huge improvements in edema and coldness, depression is more off and on now but it may have psychological or immune/gut dysfunction basis in my case which I'm still trying to work out. Still can't really tolerate starch unfortunately, avoiding it probably helps almost as much as the NDT

DaveFoster

My current theory of why cyproheptadine increases appetite is that it simply lowers the stress hormones to reveal a normal and regular appetite that's said to be 'increased' only in comparison to our previous stress-fuelled-appetite-lowering state.

Since metabolism is still likely to be deranged (poor liver, FFA in blood stream, lack of B-vitamins), sugar consumed is likely to be stored as fat.

The fat gained from cyproheptadine is no different to fat gained from any other substance and so it'll come off, when it does, just the same as any other type of fat.
That sounds pretty intuitive. Why would it be glandular fat? Maybe there's a permanent restoration of metabolic activity that remains even after discontinuation, or in other words, an upregulation of CNS serotonin (increased appetite FOREVER).