Any ideas on the markup on milk, honey and juice products in retail stores?

Dr. B

if you reach out to any manufacturer regarding prices they seem to say you need to be a retail store etc to get pricing information.
im wondering what the markup would be on products like milk, honey and OJ. If a retail store is selling OJ, honey, milk, for $6 each, how much could you save if you were able to buy these direct from the company the retail store is buying from? obviously you may need to buy in bulk, but if it's a smaller company/farm maybe they would be willing to sell the items directly to you.

if you reach out to any manufacturer regarding prices they seem to say you need to be a retail store etc to get pricing information.
im wondering what the markup would be on products like milk, honey and OJ. If a retail store is selling OJ, honey, milk, for $6 each, how much could you save if you were able to buy these direct from the company the retail store is buying from? obviously you may need to buy in bulk, but if it's a smaller company/farm maybe they would be willing to sell the items directly to you.
The raw milk I buy at the market is $16 and direct is $11 and sometimes as low as $9 a gallon. On less perishable items and imports the mark-ups are even higher. The more middle men the more mark-ups.

OP
D

Dr. B

The raw milk I buy at the market is $16 and direct is $11 and sometimes as low as $9 a gallon. On less perishable items and imports the mark-ups are even higher. The more middle men the more mark-ups.
Direct meaning direct from farm? how did you figure out what the direct price is?
California seems very over priced when it comes to milk... in most states it seems its $5-6 per half gallon of the highest quality cows milk like organic, 100$ grass fed, A2 etc. now if you look into sheeps milk, buffalo milk, especially camel milk, those go extremely high, camel milk is like $20+ for a single pint! goats milk is pricy but also around the $12 per gallon range. it would be interesting to try yak milk, reindeer and horse milk but these are difficult in the US, apparently these are all very popular in some parts of russia and asia. there's even some sort of fermented alcoholic horse drink.

Direct meaning direct from farm? how did you figure out what the direct price is?
California seems very over priced when it comes to milk... in most states it seems its $5-6 per half gallon of the highest quality cows milk like organic, 100$ grass fed, A2 etc. now if you look into sheeps milk, buffalo milk, especially camel milk, those go extremely high, camel milk is like $20+ for a single pint! goats milk is pricy but also around the $12 per gallon range. it would be interesting to try yak milk, reindeer and horse milk but these are difficult in the US, apparently these are all very popular in some parts of russia and asia. there's even some sort of fermented alcoholic horse drink.
Fermented horse drink? Like horse meat or horse milk? Yes that is the price the farm sells the same milk for to the public.

Jennifer

if you reach out to any manufacturer regarding prices they seem to say you need to be a retail store etc to get pricing information. im wondering what the markup would be on products like milk, honey and OJ. If a retail store is selling OJ, honey, milk, for $6 each, how much could you save if you were able to buy these direct from the company the retail store is buying from? obviously you may need to buy in bulk, but if it's a smaller company/farm maybe they would be willing to sell the items directly to you.

Do you have a business license? To get wholesale pricing, I needed my business license. One of the honeys I buy in bulk direct from the company (not wholesale, still retail) is around $27 dollars for 1 kg versus $45 on Amazon, and the other honeys are roughly the same price from both places. The raw milk is $6 per 2 liters direct from the farm versus $7.50 at the market.

OP
D

Dr. B

Do you have a business license? To get wholesale pricing, I needed my business license. One of the honeys I buy in bulk direct from the company (not wholesale, still retail) is around $27 dollars for 1 kg versus $45 on Amazon, and the other honeys are roughly the same price from both places. The raw milk is $6 per 2 liters direct from the farm versus $7.50 at the market.
which raw milk are you talking about?
do you have any thoughts on the "ys eco bee farms" organic raw honey. the 2 pound jar has a MSRP of $13.49, some online sites sell it below that for $11.49 or so, whereas whole foods overprices sells it at $16 which is ridiculous. what is the price if you buy direct from the manufacturer or in other words what are these online sites and whole foods paying for that honey?

OP
D

Dr. B

Fermented horse drink? Like horse meat or horse milk? Yes that is the price the farm sells the same milk for to the public.
so is it better to always buy from the farm then? or do you buy from the market for convenience?

Inaut

This is a really good deal you are getting. It's tough to get raw milk here in Ontario area (unless you live in the sticks) and it's super expensive :( :(

Jennifer

which raw milk are you talking about?
do you have any thoughts on the "ys eco bee farms" organic raw honey. the 2 pound jar has a MSRP of $13.49, some online sites sell it below that for $11.49 or so, whereas whole foods overprices sells it at $16 which is ridiculous. what is the price if you buy direct from the manufacturer or in other words what are these online sites and whole foods paying for that honey?

Sorry, I’m not sure I’m understanding what you mean by which raw milk? It’s milk from 100% grass-fed cows I can get direct from the farm or in retail stores here. As far as I know, unless you have a business license, you’re still going to pay retail buying direct from the company whereas businesses like Whole Foods, Vitacost etc. pay wholesale.

so is it better to always buy from the farm then? or do you buy from the market for convenience?
I buy direct from the farm for meat, produce and milk. There is a BIG difference in the quality with everything not sitting out for so long waiting to get bought. Fresh picked and eaten within days is so much tastier and healthier. If I can't get fresh picked then I buy frozen, but hardly ever from the market.

OP
D

Dr. B

Sorry, I’m not sure I’m understanding what you mean by which raw milk? It’s milk from 100% grass-fed cows I can get direct from the farm or in retail stores here. As far as I know, unless you have a business license, you’re still going to pay retail buying direct from the company whereas businesses like Whole Foods, Vitacost etc. pay wholesale.
it depends on the company, some companies dont sell to you at all unless you have a business license/health food store. like that ys eco bee farms honey. can you tell me what price they sell their organic raw honey, 2 pound jar for? seems like you have experience and a business license... would you be able to email them and find out what their pricing is? im really curious. what do you think the wholesale discount is for stores like whole foods etc.

I buy direct from the farm for meat, produce and milk. There is a BIG difference in the quality with everything not sitting out for so long waiting to get bought. Fresh picked and eaten within days is so much tastier and healthier. If I can't get fresh picked then I buy frozen, but hardly ever from the market.
but you were saying the same exact farm, same exact brand, you can buy direct from the farm for $11 and that same farms milk is $16 in stores correct?

This is a really good deal you are getting. It's tough to get raw milk here in Ontario area (unless you live in the sticks) and it's super expensive :( :(

I don't live near the farm so I pay shipping charges which comes to $18 to $20 a gallon, but it is worth it getting to me right out of the cow with a two week ahead use by date. I got tired of having to get $16 gallon down in 3 to 5 days.

OP
D

Dr. B

I don't live near the farm so I pay shipping charges which comes to $18 to $20 a gallon, but it is worth it getting to me right out of the cow with a two week ahead use by date. I got tired of having to get $16 gallon down in 3 to 5 days.
interesting, how long does shipping take to get to you?
so does the supermarket order the milk like only 1 week after its been made or something? they must be ordering late since their stock is so old?
I drink a half gallon milk a day!

Jennifer

it depends on the company, some companies dont sell to you at all unless you have a business license/health food store. like that ys eco bee farms honey. can you tell me what price they sell their organic raw honey, 2 pound jar for? seems like you have experience and a business license... would you be able to email them and find out what their pricing is? im really curious. what do you think the wholesale discount is for stores like whole foods etc.

Sorry, I don’t have my business license anymore. I had it for a side business I had in my early 20s when I was starting up a real estate business prior to becoming injured and never renewed it.

interesting, how long does shipping take to get to you?
so does the supermarket order the milk like only 1 week after its been made or something? they must be ordering late since their stock is so old?
I drink a half gallon milk a day!
I get mine milk overnight. The grocery stores buys theirs in bulk and it sits in the back till it is almost expired. It was so frustrating. I would would have to make up a bunch of custard and ice cream trying to use it up to not have to dump it or go withoutpasteurized. 3 gallons every week to 10 days and fill in with grass fed pasteurized to make custards, ice cream and soups. We don't get the bulk of our calories from drinking milk or that would get expensive!

akgrrrl

Mr Bollux, if you go to your local grocer, to the person who has a huge catalog of products from which they order, they will tell you that the retail markup for grocery is approximately 30%.
Kroger food stores, Safeway, FredMeyers will discount another 10% if you order a case of an item. In addition, you may find that you can order anything in their book, which may never appear on their shelves.

OP
D

Dr. B

Mr Bollux, if you go to your local grocer, to the person who has a huge catalog of products from which they order, they will tell you that the retail markup for grocery is approximately 30%.
Kroger food stores, Safeway, FredMeyers will discount another 10% if you order a case of an item. In addition, you may find that you can order anything in their book, which may never appear on their shelves.
oh interesting.
how does this apply to whole foods and costco?
Id imagine costco, probably marks up less than 30%? like maybe 15 or so?
whereas whole foods may be marking up 40% or more?

akgrrrl

oh interesting.
how does this apply to whole foods and costco?
Id imagine costco, probably marks up less than 30%? like maybe 15 or so?
whereas whole foods may be marking up 40% or more?
Good thinking, maybe several factors at play. I would bet Costco has some buying power, product distribution and logistics in general has bearing, terms of payment is prob different for fresh vs shelf stable items...lotsa variables

OP
D

Dr. B

Anyone can buy bulk honey, you can find various sources online. I've ordered 60 lb containers from Crystal's Honey, 60 lb Bulk Honey Pail
the honey is not usda certified organic, why is that? theyre likely cutting corners somewhere? theres so many chemicals involved in non organic honey its crazy, im unsure if youd be better off just not eating anything than non organic honey. i think its actually near impossible for american honey to meet organic standards since youd need to have a huge piece of land and be able to keep the bees isolated and ensure theyre not travelling to places they could come in contact with chemicals, hormones, pesticides etc. hence all the organic honeys are made in brazil, uruguay, canada etc
ive also noticed the organic honeys taste worse than non organic ones, im not sure whats up with that but the non organic ones are delicious whereas organic ones are tough to eat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals