Any Advice For Reintroducing Dairy For The First Time In 4 Years?

Gametime

I've not eat a single dairy product in 3-4 years, zero dairy. I used to drink milk every single day, stopped as apparently it caused acne even though i didn't have bad acne at all and never had any issues with dairy at all.
Does anyone have some advice for bringing dairy back into the diet? To prevent any future milk allergies or intolerances or build resistance maybe to the dairy so that i can consume loads of it with no issues? Maybe small amounts of milk for example to start then gradually increasing or does it not matter and I could drink loads to start and go on as normal? I've been drinking small amounts of milk everyday for the last two weeks. Along with parm cheese now and again and I'm dying to overload on the milk and cheese as it's so tasty!!

keith

When I first started adding a lot of dairy, I got some bloating and gas. I took some enzymes (including lactose) with it, and that seemed to take care of the bloating and gas, even with a huge increase. I only needed to do that for a few days, maybe a week at most before I dropped the enzymes without issue. My body adapted quickly. Everyone is different, but I think you probably don't have to worry if you aren't having any adverse reactions.

T

tca300

Small amounts taken with meals, slowly increasing quantity over time.

OP
G

Gametime

When I first started adding a lot of dairy, I got some bloating and gas. I took some enzymes (including lactose) with it, and that seemed to take care of the bloating and gas, even with a huge increase. I only needed to do that for a few days, maybe a week at most before I dropped the enzymes without issue. My body adapted quickly. Everyone is different, but I think you probably don't have to worry if you aren't having any adverse reactions.

That's great to hear! So just to confirm, you went without dairy for a long time and reintroduced it in normal/large amounts, and only took you a week to do well with the dairy and you've been drinking large amounts of dairy ever since that 1 week period? Thanks for your input!!

OP
G

Gametime

Small amounts taken with meals, slowly increasing quantity over time.

Great! How long do you think it should take to get up to lots of dairy? (Maybe 500ml-1 litre or more a day of milk etc?)

Do you think i should go one dairy product at a time? Maybe start with milk and gradually increase until can do large amounts and then add in cheese and start off with small amounts of cheese gradually building the cheese consumption up? Or if I've got milk down okay then any dairy product is okay at any dose including the cheese, Maybe ice cream cream etc..

I really appreciate the input!

keith

That's great to hear! So just to confirm, you went without dairy for a long time and reintroduced it in normal/large amounts, and only took you a week to do well with the dairy and you've been drinking large amounts of dairy ever since that 1 week period? Thanks for your input!!

That's correct, more or less. I wasn't specifically avoiding dairy, but ate/drank very little of it. I didn't drink milk, but would have some cheese or yogurt now and then; small amounts of butter. It wasn't a total abstinence, but shifting to drinking +/- 2 quarts of milk plus some cheese, etc, had a big impact on my system, and I made the change all at once.

raypeatclips

StarDiapers_SecondaryPackshot_355x215.png

Seriously though just take it slow and see how you react drink a small amount of milk maybe with a meal then wait to see the effects. If none keep slowly increasing

OP
G

Gametime

StarDiapers_SecondaryPackshot_355x215.png

Seriously though just take it slow and see how you react drink a small amount of milk maybe with a meal then wait to see the effects. If none keep slowly increasing
Hahahah:D yeah I've been drinking small amounts throughout the day for over two weeks now, no reactions.. How long do you think it should take to get up to 500ml -1 litre or more of milk a day? Sorry for a bit of silly question, I am just dying to just drink a full litre, little bits here and there leaves me with such a craving for it!
Do you think I should continue with building up on milk first then maybe start building up on cheese and then butter maybe or once i've amped on dairy then any amount of other dairy products would be okay?

want to say thanks for putting in the time aswell when putting up all them videos on you tube! And thanks so much for the input! I really appreciate it!

Makrosky

Another thing you can do is start by low-lactose dairy products like feta cheese, butter, etc...

Milk, ice cream, etc. Have a lot of lactose.

OP
G

Gametime

Milk can have lots of iodine, which can cause acne. Here's a thread I made about this:

2 Quarts Of Milk Has 1.2 Mg Of Iodine; Enough To Suppress The Thyroid And Cause Acne In Many

Iodine aside, I seem to tolerate unlimited amounts of yogurt whereas even 2 cups of milk causes problems for me. Yogurt is not Peat friendly, but it is working well for me. If you go this route, learning to make your own yogurt (it's very easy) will save you a lot of money.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I didn't have an issue with acne and dairy at all before, I just read some things about it causing it along with some bad stuff about dairy (Which i completely regret reading about as I've missed out on dairy for to long now and I know how important dairy is now) thanks for your input though I really appreciate it!

OP
G

Gametime

Another thing you can do is start by low-lactose dairy products like feta cheese, butter, etc...

Milk, ice cream, etc. Have a lot of lactose.
So are you saying gradually start off with the butter or low lactose products and then how long would you wait until ramping up on higher lactose products like milk, ice cream etc? And how long would you take to gradually ramp up on higher lactose stuff like milk etc to the point where you could consume 500ml-1 litre a day or more?
Note I've never had a lactose problem ever in my life. But thanks so much for your take on this!

artlange

I had been eating cheese and butter but no milk for many years. I ramped up to 2qt/day in about 2 weeks. each day I'd increase and monitor for side effects. after the two weeks I added a tsp of cane sugar, and then had to also start the grated carrot salads or I had problems that needed the carrot salad to resolve. Gas and tooth aches. Every day or two cattot salad works wonders. And zero issues with milk.

Makrosky

So are you saying gradually start off with the butter or low lactose products and then how long would you wait until ramping up on higher lactose products like milk, ice cream etc? And how long would you take to gradually ramp up on higher lactose stuff like milk etc to the point where you could consume 500ml-1 litre a day or more?
Note I've never had a lactose problem ever in my life. But thanks so much for your take on this!
I think go by how you feel? There's no fixed rule. Others gave you examples. I don't remember how much time took me, sorry! I don't have problems with yogurt, cheese, butter, etc but for milk I use lactose free. Feels much better to me. Good luck!!

OP
G

Gametime

I think go by how you feel? There's no fixed rule. Others gave you examples. I don't remember how much time took me, sorry! I don't have problems with yogurt, cheese, butter, etc but for milk I use lactose free. Feels much better to me. Good luck!!

Yeah your definitely right by there, I just thought as I am planning on consuming a lot of dairy, I want to prevent any intolerances or allergies from occurring from dairy or I kind of had in my mind to build a resistance to an intolerance or allergy to dairy which probably is bizzare. Do you even think is it even possible to do that by gradually increasing the dairy or would it make no difference at all and the gradual increase is for people who have actually had problems with dairy which I never have had! Thanks for your help though :)

Makrosky

Yeah your definitely right by there, I just thought as I am planning on consuming a lot of dairy, I want to prevent any intolerances or allergies from occurring from dairy or I kind of had in my mind to build a resistance to an intolerance or allergy to dairy which probably is bizzare. Do you even think is it even possible to do that by gradually increasing the dairy or would it make no difference at all and the gradual increase is for people who have actually had problems with dairy which I never have had! Thanks for your help though :)
I think it's almost never a good idea to make drastic changes in nutrition all at once. But that's just my opinion. For example lots of people missunderstand RP ideas and start guzzling down tons of sugar and end up with SIBO. Others switch to a liquid diet of Milk and OJ and get stomach problems and more hypothyroid because the big ammount of liquid. Others insanely increase ammount of sat fat and get problems, Etc.. Etc...

And particularly dairy ... Your body will take some days or weeks to produce enough lactase enzyme... supposing you're not very hypothyroid.

Do yourself a favour and start slowly :): Start with small ammounts of dairy or low lactose content, see how you react, maybe try lactose free milk also, etc...

By the way : to know how much lactose a dairy product has look at the nutritional label. Generally, the ammount of carbohydrates listed there is the ammount of lactose.

OP
G

Gametime

I think it's almost never a good idea to make drastic changes in nutrition all at once. But that's just my opinion. For example lots of people missunderstand RP ideas and start guzzling down tons of sugar and end up with SIBO. Others switch to a liquid diet of Milk and OJ and get stomach problems and more hypothyroid because the big ammount of liquid. Others insanely increase ammount of sat fat and get problems, Etc.. Etc...

And particularly dairy ... Your body will take some days or weeks to produce enough lactase enzyme... supposing you're not very hypothyroid.

Do yourself a favour and start slowly :) Start with small ammounts of dairy or low lactose content, see how you react, maybe try lactose free milk also, etc...

By the way : to know how much lactose a dairy product has look at the nutritional label. Generally, the ammount of carbohydrates listed there is the ammount of lactose.
Your a saviour! I massively appreciate your help on this:) thanks so much. Wish you all the best in the future!

Ella

Forum Supporter

Wise words Makrosky. When people discover Peat, they go at it like a bull at gate, forgeting that they arrive here with broken digestion and metabolism They think they can drink all the milk, OJ and sugar they like and not suffer conequences. Peat recommends first and foremost a good diet which is a mixed diet. I am a strong advocate that milk and OJ be incorporated with a proper meal, however many people seem to think that guzzling milk and OJ are meals in themselves.

The benefits of incorporating into a mixed meal is the digestion process starts in the mouth which signals to the rest of the digestive system that digestion has started. The act of chewing is the trigger that sets off a whole cascade of digestive enzymes and fluids to deal with the food at each compartment of the digestive tract.

Iodine is a problem for acne. In the presence of PUFAs it can result in the production of deleterious molecules.

OP
G

Gametime

Guys, I've tolerated Organic Whole Milk pasteurised but not homogensised in 500ml a day quantities at this point.. thinking of switching to organic semi skimmed/skimmed milk that is pasteurised and homognesised, drunk about 50ml so far.. should I expect to see no issues with Semi Skimmed if i can tolerate whole milk already? Cheers guys

I recently tried adding dairy back in. Cream in coffee. Butter in the morning. Raw Cheese. All local and organic. My face is puffy and I feel bloated and foggy and blah. Is this a transition? Maybe I added too much too fast? Should I try adding some dessicate thyroid? Any advice appreciated!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals