There has been a debate about Aspirin's effectiveness on treating and preventing blood clots. When one doctor says Aspirin treatment is as effective as heparin, warfarin, and new generation anti coagulants, other doctors say Aspirin is only effective to prevent ''arterial'' platelet aggregation, not venous clotting issues.

Below is the link on the issue. I would like to hear your opinion on this matter. Thanks

http://www.everydayhealth.com/dvt/aspirin-may-not-prevent-dvt.aspx

goodandevil

Is tbere something to sell you for venous obstructions? Then i would posit that aspirin is effective in both conditions.

jaakkima

I was using a gram or two of aspirin daily and still got DVT and a pulmonary embolism recently. The study in that article would make it appear that aspirin is effective against the latter. I am curious as well though. I don't want to be a slave to coumadin for too long.

YamnayaMommy

I was using a gram or two of aspirin daily and still got DVT and a pulmonary embolism recently. The study in that article would make it appear that aspirin is effective against the latter. I am curious as well though. I don't want to be a slave to coumadin for too long.
Are you still on blood thinners? My dad had a dvt + pulmonary embolism almost two years ago and has been on eliquis. He wants off but his doctor says aspirin won’t protect against future DVT.

tankasnowgod

There has been a debate about Aspirin's effectiveness on treating and preventing blood clots. When one doctor says Aspirin treatment is as effective as heparin, warfarin, and new generation anti coagulants, other doctors say Aspirin is only effective to prevent ''arterial'' platelet aggregation, not venous clotting issues.

Below is the link on the issue. I would like to hear your opinion on this matter. Thanks

An Aspirin a Day May Not Keep DVT Away

If by "effective" they mean dangerous or expensive, then they are correct. Aspirin is much cheaper and safer than those other drugs. I think it's just as effective. If not, one could always add Vitamin E. Considering inappropriate clotting is basically triggered by Vitamin E deficiency (or excess PUFA), Vitamin E might even be a better choice. But either E or Aspirin, alone or together, would be cheaper, safer, and probably more effective than the other drugs.

As an aside.... when donating blood, the "Medications that contain Aspirin" material lists Warfarin, Eliquis and Xarelto as drugs that contain aspirin or aspirin derivatives. So, there's also that.

For those looking for Clinical Research comparing aspirin to other drugs, Haidut has a great thread here- Aspirin Just As Good As Commercial Clot-busting Drugs (Xarelto)

Regina

If by "effective" they mean dangerous or expensive, then they are correct. Aspirin is much cheaper and safer than those other drugs. I think it's just as effective. If not, one could always add Vitamin E. Considering inappropriate clotting is basically triggered by Vitamin E deficiency (or excess PUFA), Vitamin E might even be a better choice. But either E or Aspirin, alone or together, would be cheaper, safer, and probably more effective than the other drugs.

As an aside.... when donating blood, the "Medications that contain Aspirin" material lists Warfarin, Eliquis and Xarelto as drugs that contain aspirin or aspirin derivatives. So, there's also that.

For those looking for Clinical Research comparing aspirin to other drugs, Haidut has a great thread here- Aspirin Just As Good As Commercial Clot-busting Drugs (Xarelto)
Vitamin E, K, aspirin and progesterone.

jaakkima

There are conditions leading to dvt, pe, etc, in which no amount of aspirin, Vitamin E, K, progesterone, cyproheptadine, etc will stop the clotting without addressing the root problem. However rare it may be I am an example. Personally need a highly unusual amount and ratio of thyroid hormones (if waking temp & pattern isn't optimal it could be a red flag), then the other stuff started to work, particularly Vitamin E which does dissolve fibrin rapidly if good quality like Tocovit, cyproheptadine (can be a serotonin issue), progesterone (with nutritional support -protein, B vitamins) to lower estrogen, strengthening gut barrier & motility. Things can be quite a bit more complex than people giving advice on forums will suggest. Constipation, leakiness, endotoxin can be causes/factors.

Last edited:

YamnayaMommy

Vitamin E, K, aspirin and progesterone.
I wish there were some popularizer who could write a compellin
There are conditions leading to dvt, pe, etc, in which no amount of aspirin, Vitamin E, K, progesterone, cyproheptadine, etc will stop the clotting without addressing the root problem. However rare it may be I am an example. Personally need a highly unusual amount and ratio of thyroid hormones (if waking temp & pattern isn't optimal it could be a red flag), then the other stuff started to work, particularly Vitamin E which does dissolve fibrin rapidly if good quality like Tocovit, cyproheptadine (can be a serotonin issue), progesterone (with nutritional support -protein, B vitamins) to lower estrogen, strengthening gut barrier & motility. Things can be quite a bit more complex than people giving advice on forums will suggest. Constipation, leakiness, endotoxin can be causes/factors.
did you have dvt pe? Have you written about it elsewhere?

jaakkima

I wish there were some popularizer who could write a compellin

did you have dvt pe? Have you written about it elsewhere?
Yes, repeatedly. I may be a rare case but people should know that, depending on what's going on, these things may not work without addressing some basic cause. The pharma anticoagulants are more effective in such cases and will keep you alive typically. Thyroid can be important. I'm no expert but it seems the calcium system also has relations to the clotting system. When I was asking Ray questions sometimes he asked me about my calcium, Vitamin D, etc. My preference would be high dose of a good quality Vitamin E like Tocovit taken with fat, over aspirin, along with addressing the root your cause, whether it's estrogen, serotonin, low thyroid, constipation, or whatever else... But your mileage may vary. Doctors might not be cooperative but testing D-dimers or clotting time pre-emptively may be helpful if someone is going to try any of these things.

Last edited: