20 Year Old Male - Diffuse Thinning - Blood Work

Hello all,

First time posting here, I've discovered Ray Peat through Danny Roddy 2 months ago, and I have learnt so much since. There are some absolute geniuses on this forum, and I'd appreciate some thoughts and observations on my first blood test done, specifically, for hair loss. Firstly thank you to you all for the amazing wealth of knowledge that bounces around this forum!

Without writing a massive blog about my life, I've suffered from hypoglycaemia since my early teenage years.
I have been through some trauma - family break up, period of homelessness, caring for mentally unstable mother, and my own personal depression.
Fast-forward to today - renting my own apartment, living with an amazing girlfriend, brilliant apprenticeship job with a very prestigious company, sponsored degree, living the dream all at 20.... except still suffer from bouts of depression and low motivation and my health from the start of the year rapidly deteriorated which coincided with a new flare up of depression.

I noticed my hair loss around 2 years ago. I would wake up with a pillow covered in hair. It scared me but I ignored it. So I've tried various things - high dose saw palmetto (made me want to kill myself after 3 days, which is not like me at all - literally burned it in a fire) and Stinging nettle root (general negative effect). All with the aim to reduce DHT. My energy plummeted. Intermittent fasting helped with this at first, but then made my energy and health sink like the titanic (high adrenaline to make up for low blood sugar.) Messing with my hormones with DHT/5ar blockers was a terrible idea and I believe it made everything worse.

A few months back I was the heaviest I have been. 5 foot 8 inches, 77kg, 22% body fat. I have always carried a lot of muscle, and it looked oaky despite the high BF% - used to be 14% BF :( . I had dropped my calories to get shredded to ~1750kcal, and yet it made me fatter. I ate nuts by the bag (Uh-Oh POOFa alert!) which I have stopped. I understand now about metabolism/thyroid/PUFAs, etc.

After browsing through this forum, I now eat 3000kcal min. 60,20,20 (Carb,protien,fat), with a 50:50 ratio of sugar to starch, and more salt! I hit this to a tee everyday for the past couple of weeks with MyFitnessPal and I feel amazing (so long depression... for now), will remeasure my body comp soon but I believe it is improving already. I am using Alpecin shampoo (controversial but contains caffeine, niacinamide, Zinc), and head massages. Keeping gym sessions 3 days a week 45 minutes max. Sleep 8 hours every night. Bi-weekly saunas - red light exposure, and limit PUFA. Hair is growing quicker now, believe some new hairs are sprouting already but time will tell. Feel happier, calmer, more energy, more sociable, and more drive for life.

Supplements:
8000iu D3 (winter in UK is harsh)
Life Xtension vitamin K
(both in morning with eggs)
300mg aspirin with coffee (mornings, aspirin usually only on weekdays)

I try to eat a daily raw carrot, when I remember.

50mg Zinc picolinate (high carb can deplete zinc I believe, makes my hair and nails grow quick!)
400mg Magnesium (sleep like a baby, mad dreams, and bowel cleansing in the morning)
(both before bed)

I've tried 600mg taurine, but it made me feel very tired - tried topical solution on my hair line but gave me a mild rash - threw the pack away.

Okay so blood work:
SHBG - 12.9 nmol/L (range 18.3-54.1)
CRP HS (inflammation) - 6.17mg/L (range <5)
Ferritin (iron) - 176 ug/L (range 30-400)
TSH - 3.71mIU/L (range 0.27-4.2)
Free Thyroxine - 15.200 pmol/L (range 12-22)
Testosterone - 13.6nmol/L (range 8.64-29)
Free Androgen Index - 105.43 Ratio (range 24-104)

Inflammation may be due to laryngitis and a flare up of a gym injury (tendonitis of the groin). - I think I may have Varicocele in my scotum - previous flare ups with dull aches, but nothing recently. Will try to get this checked by a doctor again soon to make sure. (read that this can impact testosterone somehow?)

I have been considered introducing Pregnenolone, Progesterone, Dhea (I have aged a lot the past year too much for my age, and want to feel and look younger again, I also want to raise my T.) - any advice on this?

Any tips to increase SHBG, and in turn lower free androgens? and any other guidance regarding my current hormonal profile? What other tests should I do?

I know this is a long read, any comments would be much appreciated! (I am going test again in a couple of months)

I will be happy to take any questions :)

From today I will document my hair, and we can see together what the outcome is :)

schultz

Your TSH is quite high. I'd consider the thyroid as a potential problem, especially since you said you got 'fatter' on 1,750 calories. Fixing that should resolve your other hormonal problems.

However, at your age things may just sort themselves out now that you've changed your diet and reduced your life stress.

What is your apprenticeship in? Just curious

OP
B
Your TSH is quite high. I'd consider the thyroid as a potential problem, especially since you said you got 'fatter' on 1,750 calories. Fixing that should resolve your other hormonal problems.

However, at your age things may just sort themselves out now that you've changed your diet and reduced your life stress.

What is your apprenticeship in? Just curious

Thanks for the reply! :) I'm doing an apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering for Rolls-Royce

redsun

I have been considered introducing Pregnenolone, Progesterone, Dhea (I have aged a lot the past year too much for my age, and want to feel and look younger again, I also want to raise my T.) - any advice on this?

Any tips to increase SHBG, and in turn lower free androgens? and any other guidance regarding my current hormonal profile? What other tests should I do?

You messed with 5AR blockers and screwed yourself up from them and you still have a mind for hormones? Hormones will only further screw up your hormonal environment. You are young you can fix yourself with good diet and lifestyle.

Selfhacked says Zinc, magnesium, vitamin D can all lower SHBG, isnt that a coincidence...

"2) Taking Supplements
The following supplements were found to decrease SHBG production and/or reduce its interaction with sex hormones, though further clinical studies are needed before these findings can be considered conclusive:

"
SHBG Symptoms, Blood Test, & What Factors Lower/Raise Levels - SelfHacked

Vitamin D is high to begin with, but I say drop it temporarily along with the zinc(permanently) and the SHBG may go back up a bit. Exercise and weight loss can also raise SHBG. In your case you have some weight to lose too if you do lose it may help.
50mg Zinc picolinate (high carb can deplete zinc I believe, makes my hair and nails grow quick!)
400mg Magnesium (sleep like a baby, mad dreams, and bowel cleansing in the morning)
(both before bed)

I am going to save you the trouble and tell you right now stop taking zinc. It will screw up your copper and iron metabolism greatly if it hasnt already. Zinc can also kill motivation and drive(definitely wont improve it) by reducing dopamine to noradrenaline conversion which you absolutely need for that. Drop zinc and make sure you have good food sources of copper and iron to make up for that zinc. And of course find if you dont have already good source of zinc from food.

As for the deficit you tried to do before, What was your protein and carb intake on the deficit? Most people when they do these deficits they end up eating less protein mostly which screws up the metabolism, and may drop carbs considerably. Doing a lower fat diet for cutting leaves more room for protein and carbs. Your deficit also may have been too large.

OP
B
Thanks for the comprehensive reply redsun, much appreciated!

Yeah messing with 5AR blockers was the worst thing I ever did, but live and learn! Definitely now hesitant about playing with hormones, but benefits do sound appealing for Preg/Progesterone/DHEA... Definitely won't touch anything anytime soon though!

You messed with 5AR blockers and screwed yourself up from them and you still have a mind for hormones? Hormones will only further screw up your hormonal environment. You are young you can fix yourself with good diet and lifestyle.

Vitamin D is high to begin with, but I say drop it temporarily along with the zinc(permanently) and the SHBG may go back up a bit. Exercise and weight loss can also raise SHBG. In your case you have some weight to lose too if you do lose it may help.

I am going to save you the trouble and tell you right now stop taking zinc. It will screw up your copper and iron metabolism greatly if it hasnt already. Zinc can also kill motivation and drive(definitely wont improve it) by reducing dopamine to noradrenaline conversion which you absolutely need for that. Drop zinc and make sure you have good food sources of copper and iron to make up for that zinc. And of course find if you dont have already good source of zinc from food.

As for the deficit you tried to do before, What was your protein and carb intake on the deficit? Most people when they do these deficits they end up eating less protein mostly which screws up the metabolism, and may drop carbs considerably. Doing a lower fat diet for cutting leaves more room for protein and carbs. Your deficit also may have been too large.

Okay, so I will drop the Zinc all together, will be interesting to see what dropping such a big dosage will do. I will half the Vitamin D dose to 4000 iu too, though I really don't get much sunlight during winter months (go to work in the dark, sat in office, go home in dark).

Looking back at MyFitnessPal for the 1750kcal phase, seems like I was eating around 160g Protein, 140g Carb and 60g Fat. (horribly low and wasn't even hitting this most of the time)
Now I aim for (and hit) 180g Protein, 430g Carb, 60g Fat

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello all,

First time posting here, I've discovered Ray Peat through Danny Roddy 2 months ago, and I have learnt so much since. There are some absolute geniuses on this forum, and I'd appreciate some thoughts and observations on my first blood test done, specifically, for hair loss. Firstly thank you to you all for the amazing wealth of knowledge that bounces around this forum!

Without writing a massive blog about my life, I've suffered from hypoglycaemia since my early teenage years.
I have been through some trauma - family break up, period of homelessness, caring for mentally unstable mother, and my own personal depression.
Fast-forward to today - renting my own apartment, living with an amazing girlfriend, brilliant apprenticeship job with a very prestigious company, sponsored degree, living the dream all at 20.... except still suffer from bouts of depression and low motivation and my health from the start of the year rapidly deteriorated which coincided with a new flare up of depression.

I noticed my hair loss around 2 years ago. I would wake up with a pillow covered in hair. It scared me but I ignored it. So I've tried various things - high dose saw palmetto (made me want to kill myself after 3 days, which is not like me at all - literally burned it in a fire) and Stinging nettle root (general negative effect). All with the aim to reduce DHT. My energy plummeted. Intermittent fasting helped with this at first, but then made my energy and health sink like the titanic (high adrenaline to make up for low blood sugar.) Messing with my hormones with DHT/5ar blockers was a terrible idea and I believe it made everything worse.

A few months back I was the heaviest I have been. 5 foot 8 inches, 77kg, 22% body fat. I have always carried a lot of muscle, and it looked oaky despite the high BF% - used to be 14% BF :( . I had dropped my calories to get shredded to ~1750kcal, and yet it made me fatter. I ate nuts by the bag (Uh-Oh POOFa alert!) which I have stopped. I understand now about metabolism/thyroid/PUFAs, etc.

After browsing through this forum, I now eat 3000kcal min. 60,20,20 (Carb,protien,fat), with a 50:50 ratio of sugar to starch, and more salt! I hit this to a tee everyday for the past couple of weeks with MyFitnessPal and I feel amazing (so long depression... for now), will remeasure my body comp soon but I believe it is improving already. I am using Alpecin shampoo (controversial but contains caffeine, niacinamide, Zinc), and head massages. Keeping gym sessions 3 days a week 45 minutes max. Sleep 8 hours every night. Bi-weekly saunas - red light exposure, and limit PUFA. Hair is growing quicker now, believe some new hairs are sprouting already but time will tell. Feel happier, calmer, more energy, more sociable, and more drive for life.

Supplements:
Life Xtension vitamin K

(both before bed)

I've tried 600mg taurine, but it made me feel very tired - tried topical solution on my hair line but gave me a mild rash - threw the pack away.

Okay so blood work:

Inflammation may be due to laryngitis and a flare up of a gym injury (tendonitis of the groin). - I think I may have Varicocele in my scotum - previous flare ups with dull aches, but nothing recently. Will try to get this checked by a doctor again soon to make sure. (read that this can impact testosterone somehow?)

I know this is a long read, any comments would be much appreciated! (I am going test again in a couple of months)

From today I will document my hair, and we can see together what the outcome is :)
Did you test estrogen and liver enzymes?

GreekDemiGod

@Hanzo I remember once testing ALT and it was on the high-end of normal, right when I dropped out of the Carnivore Diet.
I also don't handle very high amounts of coffee, and dealing with adrenaline-related sleep issues if I go full Peat.
Hmm..

redsun

Thanks for the comprehensive reply redsun, much appreciated!

Yeah messing with 5AR blockers was the worst thing I ever did, but live and learn! Definitely now hesitant about playing with hormones, but benefits do sound appealing for Preg/Progesterone/DHEA... Definitely won't touch anything anytime soon though!

Okay, so I will drop the Zinc all together, will be interesting to see what dropping such a big dosage will do. I will half the Vitamin D dose to 4000 iu too, though I really don't get much sunlight during winter months (go to work in the dark, sat in office, go home in dark).

Looking back at MyFitnessPal for the 1750kcal phase, seems like I was eating around 160g Protein, 140g Carb and 60g Fat. (horribly low and wasn't even hitting this most of the time)
Now I aim for (and hit) 180g Protein, 430g Carb, 60g Fat

Yeh on the deficit fat is too high and carbs too low compared to the protein. It is just generally better to drop fats as low as reasonably possible when cutting to make room for carbs. Carbs with protein will keep energy levels higher on a deficit. Deficit itself was a little high as well as I said. When you do decide to drop weight back down keep this in mind: Carbs and protein higher, fat low as reasonably possible. It will make the process easier and keep energy up.

CLASH

Hello all,

Supplements:
Life Xtension vitamin K

(both before bed)

Okay so blood work:

Welcome to the forum man,
What are your current symptoms?
What are your current food choices?

As mentioned the zinc dosage is too high, you may run into issues with copper status over time. I would eat oysters over the zinc supplement, they are balanced with other minerals including copper. I personally buy canned smoked oysters in olive oil and I drain the olive oil off when I eat them.

I think vit D dosage may be too high as well, especially without a lab value.

*As for labs that may be useful if you have the time and cash:
-before anything else I'd check your waking pulse and temp consistently
-I'd look at vit D, with parathyroid hormone, and serum calcium
-I'd also look at other hormones such as prolactin, cortisol, DHEA, DHEA-s, estrogen, estrone
-I'd look at liver labs such as ast, alt, ggt, albumin, globulin
-I'd look at thyroid labs like T3, T4, reverse T3 and a cholesterol panel.

As for getting your SHBG up I'd increase the fiber in your diet from whole fruits and carrots. Have a carrot with each meal and some whole fruit with each meal.

I'd hold off on the hormones, with the exception of a dessicated thyroid supplement until you stabilize with your diet. Sometimes the hormones can introduce issues that make it hard to figure your baseline out.

EDIT: Btw I'd pick up a copy of "the rational male" by rollo tomassi and read it twice. Book is very helpful, its not neccesarily health related

lampofred

I think diffuse thinning might be most closely related to a low calcium:phosphate ratio and excess iron build-up. What are your sources of protein?

Hans

Forum Supporter
No I did not. As well as testing these, what else you be recommended?
I was just wondering because estrogen increases SHBG. It could be something else also.
Trauma and stress could cause chronically elevated cortisol and serotonin, so maybe you can test cortisol and DHEA-S. The ratio should be 10:1 for DHEA-S:cortisol.
You can also test prolactin (correlates nicely with serotonin so then you don't have to test serotonin) & parathyroid hormone.
Trauma and stress also deplete vitamin B1, so adding in some extra via supplementation can help a lot.

OP
B
Yeh on the deficit fat is too high and carbs too low compared to the protein. It is just generally better to drop fats as low as reasonably possible when cutting to make room for carbs. Carbs with protein will keep energy levels higher on a deficit. Deficit itself was a little high as well as I said. When you do decide to drop weight back down keep this in mind: Carbs and protein higher, fat low as reasonably possible. It will make the process easier and keep energy up.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll take this onboard. I once nearly tried doing a Keto diet after watching some popular YouTube videos on it. Taking the first step of cutting out sugar on its own did too much harm anyway. Since then though I’ve always ate fat (saturated) a bit too liberally

OP
B
Welcome to the forum man,
What are your current symptoms?
What are your current food choices?

As mentioned the zinc dosage is too high, you may run into issues with copper status over time. I would eat oysters over the zinc supplement, they are balanced with other minerals including copper. I personally buy canned smoked oysters in olive oil and I drain the olive oil off when I eat them.

I think vit D dosage may be too high as well, especially without a lab value.

*As for labs that may be useful if you have the time and cash:
-before anything else I'd check your waking pulse and temp consistently
-I'd look at vit D, with parathyroid hormone, and serum calcium
-I'd also look at other hormones such as prolactin, cortisol, DHEA, DHEA-s, estrogen, estrone
-I'd look at liver labs such as ast, alt, ggt, albumin, globulin
-I'd look at thyroid labs like T3, T4, reverse T3 and a cholesterol panel.

As for getting your SHBG up I'd increase the fiber in your diet from whole fruits and carrots. Have a carrot with each meal and some whole fruit with each meal.

I'd hold off on the hormones, with the exception of a dessicated thyroid supplement until you stabilize with your diet. Sometimes the hormones can introduce issues that make it hard to figure your baseline out.

EDIT: Btw I'd pick up a copy of "the rational male" by rollo tomassi and read it twice. Book is very helpful, its not neccesarily health related

Thank you for the reply Clash!

I'd say obvious symptoms are bloating, off and on constipation (probably some gut issues somewhere), blood test indicates high levels of inflammation, i get very dry skin on my hands yet a very oily forehead (think this is triggered by certain foods or stress), libido is stronger mentally than physically if that makes sense - morning wood is very hit and miss, but when it comes to sex there is no problems what so ever. Just no spontaneous erections.

I'm feeling increasingly warm after eating sugary foods, and evening resting pulse is 77 bpm (average taken over a week). Though I will start taking before and after breakfast readings from now on and invest in a thermometer.

Standard foods I eat is 2/3 eggs scrambled in butter, low fat bagel, 10 oz OJ. Coffee with 3 sugars and milk mid morning, sometimes two coffees. I snack on dates, apples, and oranges. Lunch is usually beef/chicken/turkey with a carb potato/rice/pasta and some well cooked veg/raw carrot. Can of coke or 8 0z OJ. Occasional green tea (want to drink more) Whey protein shake. Milk with coco pops after work or a cheese toastie, or toast and marmite (I know lots of bread! Yeast extract - for B vitamins and i like the taste), greek yoghurt with honey, dinner is a repeat of lunch but a much bigger portion. After I will have a warm milky drink, or some ice cream, or something sweet depending on what I have available. Lots of starches in there I know - I feel like more calcium is needed and as you say, more fiber. I guess there are still many more peat foods to incorporate (liver, gelatin, more milk, more OJ, etc)

Thanks for recommending labs that I should look into. I will definitely look at getting those checked over the next few weeks.

Also, a book recommendation! Very much appreciated! I'm always looking to improve myself - in all aspects of life. So I shall give "the rational male" by rollo tomassi a read... or two!

OP
B
I think diffuse thinning might be most closely related to a low calcium:phosphate ratio and excess iron build-up. What are your sources of protein?

Main sources are (daily): Eggs, chicken/turkey/beef/lamb/lean white fish (alternate meats throughout week, and will have two portions a day), not as much cheese (extra mature cheddar - some days around 40g, some days none) and Semi-Skimmed milk (~20 oz)as I should be eating, greek yoghurt,whey protein shake

OP
B
I was just wondering because estrogen increases SHBG. It could be something else also.
Trauma and stress could cause chronically elevated cortisol and serotonin, so maybe you can test cortisol and DHEA-S. The ratio should be 10:1 for DHEA-S:cortisol.
You can also test prolactin (correlates nicely with serotonin so then you don't have to test serotonin) & parathyroid hormone.
Trauma and stress also deplete vitamin B1, so adding in some extra via supplementation can help a lot.

I will definitely get estrogen, cortisol, prolactin and DHEA-S checked next!
It's weird because I find the morning after a heavy night of drinking with the boys (no where near as frequent as I used to) my libido is through the roof. I wonder if this is because alcohol increases estrogen, which ups the SHBG, which means Testosterone is now more usable? Just a thought. Though definitely saying I am not going to start drinking loads ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals