Really High Prolactin Levels

heaahde

Hi! So I had a blood test to see why I have such awful libido. These are the results:

S--Estradiol: 70 pmol/L (ref range: 99-192) kind of low, good or bad?
S--Prolactin: 26 ug/L (ref range: 4-15) YIKES, this is horrifying
S--FSH: 2,3 IE/L (ref range 1-13) - kind of low, is this good or bad?
S--LH: 3,5 IE/L (ref range 0.6-12) - I guess these are normal?
S--testosterone: 18,5 nmol/L (ref range 8,6-29) - not too shabby, specialaly concidering my sky high prolactin
S--SHBG: 39 nmol/L (ref range 18-54) - never understood if you want high or low, comments?
B--Hemoglobin[Hb]: 142 g/L (ref range 130-170) - seems normal

so any comments on this? I am 21 years old male, I feel kind of healthy except my awful libido (non existant) and some slight digestive issues, mild acne and bad sleep (I always wake up in the middle of the night). I have done a MRI and no tumor were found in the brain at least. I have tried every supplement you can think of, even from Idealabs (pansterone, keto-DHT, estroban and quionone, I cycle these 4 in quite low doses and no effect at all). So what should I focus on?

schultz

I think the obvious question would be what do you eat? Do you log your food intake? If so, post a few days from the log.

PUTFOT

Are you lean?
How often do you masterbate if you do?
By non-existent you mean you can't get it up?

tankasnowgod

Hi! So I had a blood test to see why I have such awful libido. These are the results:

S--Estradiol: 70 pmol/L (ref range: 99-192) kind of low, good or bad?
S--Prolactin: 26 ug/L (ref range: 4-15) YIKES, this is horrifying
S--FSH: 2,3 IE/L (ref range 1-13) - kind of low, is this good or bad?
S--LH: 3,5 IE/L (ref range 0.6-12) - I guess these are normal?
S--testosterone: 18,5 nmol/L (ref range 8,6-29) - not too shabby, specialaly concidering my sky high prolactin
S--SHBG: 39 nmol/L (ref range 18-54) - never understood if you want high or low, comments?
B--Hemoglobin[Hb]: 142 g/L (ref range 130-170) - seems normal

so any comments on this? I am 21 years old male, I feel kind of healthy except my awful libido (non existant) and some slight digestive issues, mild acne and bad sleep (I always wake up in the middle of the night). I have done a MRI and no tumor were found in the brain at least. I have tried every supplement you can think of, even from Idealabs (pansterone, keto-DHT, estroban and quionone, I cycle these 4 in quite low doses and no effect at all). So what should I focus on?

If you look at the research, the dopamine agonists are also prolactin antagonists. That would be things like bromocriptine and lisuride, and so on. Cabergoline is also an interesting one. It's possible that Tyrosine and things with L- Dopa like mucuna puriens could also help to lower prolactin levels, but I don't know this for sure.

Other things to look at would be calcium intake and fat soluble vitamins (A, D, K2) that are involved in calcium regulation. Prolactin and PTH usually rise together, often due to low serum calcium levels (Prolactin I believe is named for it's role in nursing mothers, it's the Pro-lactation hormone). Of course, dairy and egg or oyster shell calcium would be good if your intake is low.

OP
H

heaahde

Are you lean?
How often do you masterbate if you do?
By non-existent you mean you can't get it up?

I'm very lean, maybe 10 % body fat with a good amount of muscles so no skeleton. I masturbate maybe 3 times a month just to maintain the ability to get an actual erection so my penis won't die. It's non-existent as in it's so hard for me to get horny. I do get it up with my girlfriend but it's like I don't really feel like ******* her. And no I'm not gay because I've tried with men too. I just never think about sex and it doesn't turn me on seeing a hot girl.

I think the obvious question would be what do you eat? Do you log your food intake? If so, post a few days from the log.

I eat non-fatty fish, potatoes, rice, some vegetables and fruit like bananas, oranges, watermelons, sometimes I drink milk and eat cheese, sometimes I don't, sometimes I drink coffee. The thing is I've tried a complete peat diet and no effect, I've tried starch and no effect, so diet doesn't affect me at all. I was reeeeaaaally strict before, now I just aim to get a good amount of quality protein from lean fish/milk, low PUFA, a decent amount of fat, and a lot of carbs since I do strenght training. So my diet isn't as strict as some on this site, but it used to and didn't have any positive effects at all. It's like my body doesn't care what I eat or supplement, it will work in the same way as it always does.

maybe zinc ?

Like I said, I have tried everything when it comes to supplements. Vitamins, herbs, minerals, adaptogens, steroids you name it. So yeah I've tried zinc and it made no difference in any area.

OP
H

heaahde

If you look at the research, the dopamine agonists are also prolactin antagonists. That would be things like bromocriptine and lisuride, and so on. Cabergoline is also an interesting one. It's possible that Tyrosine and things with L- Dopa like mucuna puriens could also help to lower prolactin levels, but I don't know this for sure.

Other things to look at would be calcium intake and fat soluble vitamins (A, D, K2) that are involved in calcium regulation. Prolactin and PTH usually rise together, often due to low serum calcium levels (Prolactin I believe is named for it's role in nursing mothers, it's the Pro-lactation hormone). Of course, dairy and egg or oyster shell calcium would be good if your intake is low.
I can assure you it's not a micronutrient/supplemental issue. I have always had good levels of vitamin D and A. I just started with K2 and no effect. I have always been ingesting calcium from leafy greens and dairy so I really doubt I have calcium defiency. Tyrosine have not helped, neither did L-Dopa (mucuna puriens), nor any other herbs which is supposed to lower prolactin levels. It's like my body is immune to supplements.

OP
H

heaahde

Does anyone have any comments on the other hormones? Like my low estradiol, would you say it's good or is it too low? And also my FSH/SHBG etc. It's so hard to understand since all the sites I've been visiting before usually say the opposite from what you read on this forum.

jaywills

I feel for you brother. Ive been there and its not nice
Whats your sleep like?
Whats your training programme like?
You cutting or have you been in recent years?

jaywills

Sorry you mentioned it was bad but need some more specifics. How many hours your getting a night and at what times?

OP
H

heaahde

I feel for you brother. Ive been there and its not nice
Whats your sleep like?
Whats your training programme like?
You cutting or have you been in recent years?
Thanks, because it sucks having no libido and a girlfriend. I just do it because I feel like I have to.. :/
My sleep isn't the best. I do probably have some kind of mild sleep apnea. I tend to snore, and I always wake up in the middle of the night. I usually fall asleep fast and after waking up in the night, but the waking up thing disrupts my deep sleep I guess. My training routine is really simple (I have been taking long brakes to see if it would help my problems but it never did). I do some compound movements, like 3 times a week. Squats, presses, rows, chins, pushups. Never to failure and low volume and resting time so I doubt it's over training! I'm not cutting, quite the opposite. I have never tried to lose weight, and since I have such high metabolism I have to eat so much food to not lose weight. I used to be so skinny when I was younger and did put on some quality weight. So my weight is (not to be bragging) probably almost optimal for my height and age with the body composition I have.

Just wanna thank you guys for answering and helping me out! I like this forum, it's not just generic answers like "just stop stressing, you're young and nothing can be wrong with you!"

OP
H

heaahde

Sorry you mentioned it was bad but need some more specifics. How many hours your getting a night and at what times?

I tend to get atleast 8 hours sleep. I always go to bed early (around 21.30 and 22.00) and wake up early (6AM-8-AM). Trying to have a good circadian rhythm so while the quantity is good the quality isn't the best, but not awful either. Sometimes I wreck it on the weekends but that's normal and I'm sure that's not the issue :)

PUTFOT

Your hormones look good, T can be higher. Kind of looks like low pituitary (not too many hormones being produced). No idea why prolactin is high like that.

Orion

Calcium(2000mg per day - milk, cheese, eggshell, leafy green broths), salt(canning salt), B vitamins (B6 can help, liver, supps)

Extremely low PUFA intake. Lower water intake, keep fluids to juice, milk, salt liquids.

A higher calcium intake, quality diary proteins, foods that digest easily to reduce endotoxin/serotonin/estrogen, avoid or low PUFA intake, lots and lots of canning salt and topical magnesium chloride.

Milk, cheese, OJ, sugar, honey, vitamin A/D/E/K should help. Rebreathing in paper bag can help increase CO2.

"Prolactin (which is promoted by estrogen, and inhibited by progesterone) increases with stress and with age. It probably affects every tissue, but it seems to have its greatest efects on the secretory membranes. It is known to have strong effects on the kidney, gut and skin (sweat and oil glands, hair follicles, and feathers inbirds), and on the gills of fish."

"It is well established that increased water (hypotonicity) stimulates prolactin, and increased sodium inhibits its secretion."

"Prolactin secretion is increased by serotonin, which is one of the substances increased by salt restriction, but prolactin itself can promote the loss of sodium in the urine (Ibarra, et al., 2005), and contributes to vascular leakage and hypertension."

"Protein, salt, thyroid, and progesterone happen to be thermogenic, increasing heat production and stabilizing body temperature at a higher level. Prolactin and estrogen lower the temperature set-point."

"With a diet high in protein (e.g., at least 70-100 grams per day, including eggs) and vitamin A (not carotene), I have found that the dose of progesterone can be reduced each month. Using thyroid will usually reduce the amount of progesterone needed. Occasionally, a woman won't feel any effect even from 100 mg. of progesterone; I think this indicates that they need to use thyroid and diet, to normalize their estrogen, prolactin, and cortisol."

"Estrogen increases serotonin, which besides promoting the secretion of prolactin, also stimulates the production of parathyroid hormone and cortisol, both of which remove calcium from bone, and contribute to the calcification of blood vessels. "

"Since most calcium is lost from bone during the night (Eastell, et al., 1992; even in children: DeSanto, et al., 1988) in association with the nocturnal rise of the catabolic substances, such as free fatty acids, cortisol, prolactin, PTH, and adrenalin, things which minimize the nocturnal stress can decrease the bone turnover. These include calcium (Blumsohn, et al., 1994) and sugar."

"Calcium activates mitochondrial respiration, and lowers adrenaline (Luft, et al., 1988), parathyroid hormone (Ohgitani, et al., 1997), and prolactin (Kruse and Kracht, 1981). Copper, which is the co-factor for the cytochrome C oxidase enzyme, activated by thyroid, is essential for bone formation and maintenance, and is consistently deficient in osteoporosis. Thyroid hormone increases the body's ability to assimilate copper. "

"PUFA - Arachidonic acid stimulates prolactin secretion, and prolactin acts on the thyroid gland to decrease its activity, and on other tissues to increase their glycolysis (with lactate production), while decreasing oxidative metabolism (Spatling, et al., 1982; Strizhkov, 1991). "

"CO2 - Living at high altitude, which strengthens bones, increases thyroid activity and decreases prolactin (Richalet, et al., 2010) and parathyroid hormone (Khan, et al., 1996). It lowers free fatty acids, which lower bone mass by reducing bone formation and increasing bone resorption (Chen, et al., 2010). In menopausal women, polyunsaturated fatty acids and even monounsaturated fats are associated with bone loss, fruit and vegetable consumption protects against bone loss (Macdonald, et al., 2004)."

"Estrogen - The activity of aromatase increases with aging, and under the influence of prolactin, cortisol, prostaglandin, and the pituitary hormones, FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and growth hormone. It is inhibited by progesterone, thyroid, aspirin, and high altitude (CO2)."

jaywills

This is rather strange as your sleep hygeine sounds good despite waking up in the night. It also sound as if you are getting some good hours in and at the appropriate times. Keep this up will only help.

Regarding training too that sounds like an effective programme and one in which will raise amdrogens. Not being overly taxing nor cortisol provoking

What about your digestion?
How much fibre do you eat?
Whats your mental stress like - obviously this is worrying you but whats your day to day mindset like?
Have you also plugged yor diet into cronometer to ensure you are hitting minerals, vitamins etc?

OP
H

heaahde

@PUTFOT Could it be that I did take the blood test 40 minutes after waking up? I've read that prolactin levels are highest during your sleep and after waking up so you should check it like 3-4 hours after waking up. At the same time it shouldn't be that high.

@Orion Ye I've pretty much done that diet wise and it didn't change one bit. My libido is never affected by diet. No matter how much calcium I get or salt or whatever.

OP
H

heaahde

This is rather strange as your sleep hygeine sounds good despite waking up in the night. It also sound as if you are getting some good hours in and at the appropriate times. Keep this up will only help.

Regarding training too that sounds like an effective programme and one in which will raise amdrogens. Not being overly taxing nor cortisol provoking

What about your digestion?
How much fibre do you eat?
Whats your mental stress like - obviously this is worrying you but whats your day to day mindset like?
Have you also plugged yor diet into cronometer to ensure you are hitting minerals, vitamins etc?

I would say my digestion is good! I tend to get quite some fiber (not too much but more than the majority on this site) so I can get some gas which do smell, but never feel bloating or pain in my stomach. I have bowel movements everyday, sometimes 3 times but mostly 1-2 times a day. But if I would estimate my fiber intake is roughly 30 grams, sometimes more (I'm on a lower fibre diet at the moment).

My mental stress is not anything special I guess. Sure do I stress about some stuff and can get anxious from time to time but I'm quite relaxed most of the time. I have a social life and have no social anxiety, I'm quite positive. But ye this is worrying so at the moment it's a little worse than it usually is :D

Yes I have plugged into cronometer and I get everything I need + more. The things I have to supplement are vitamin D and E, but they never do anything special for me.

OP
H

heaahde

What is your pre bed time meal and supplement?
I usually go with some simple carbs like a banana/some milk, oranges etc. Sometimes I drink coffee since it makes me feel relaxed. Have tried salt, coconut oil, gelatin and milk like a lot recommend here but it doesn't do much.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals