Desperate In Need Of Help, Hypothyroidism, What To Do?

OP
B

Bart1

How is it hypo if all your thyroid and tsh hormones are in range
Isn't hypothyroidism just a state of the body/metabolism? I thought that it is better to test with physiologically relevant methods, like pulse and temperature, or carbon dioxide consumption.

Luckytype

How is it hypo if all your thyroid and tsh hormones are in range

Hypothyroidism isnt just blood levels of things. Its metabolic flux of everything and cellular utilization of X.

Luckytype

Couple of months ago before starting thyroid an endocrinologist checked some more things, this is some of the hormones;

morning fasted state:
TSH - 2.0 (range 0.4-4)
Free T4 - 17 (range 10-24)
Prolactin - 256 (range 53-360)
PTH - 5.7 (range 1.0 - 7.0)
Cortisol - 426 (range 170-500)
Glucose - 5.5 (range 3.5- 6.1)
Testosterone - 16.2 (range 6.9 - 28.1)
LH - 4.0 (range 0.8 - 7.6)
FSH - 3.5 (range 0.7 - 11.1)

I remember in a far past that once freeT was checked, was very low, bottom of range, I had a SHBG in upper part range. Also estrogen was very low, but I did hear that estrogen typically is in the cells ?

I think I do suffer from hypothyroidism. I have a low heart rate, which increased a bit but is around 55 bpm in resting rate. I’m also could most of the day. My TSH was 2.0 last time checked. In the beginning I got very relaxed from taking Tyromix. I think I did to much things at the same time which pushed my metabolism to hard and now I got a very high stress activation.

This will sound entirely too simple but take the suggestions as far as food and add in big part of this: balanced meals(as far as protein carb and fat) and spacing it so youre not rushing to cram in foods. More of a habit to start with.

Regarding BMs, add in some walking(20min) maybe 3-4 days a week to start, make an effort to get some intestinal bulk going- carrots, mushroom, cooked spinach, something to that effect. In a few days in it should in most cases help pass waste a little better.

Regarding your thyroid hormones, theres a chance theres some competitive conversion going on because of the only mildly elevated TSH but a higherish level of t4. Prolactin maybe indicating a little sluggishness or some E retention from slowed energy, you can look at what SHBG is going to do here too. Keep in mind cellular burden of estro may reflect differently than a blood level of the same. Fiber does help clear this.

Last edited:

aquaman

This will sound entirely too simple but take the suggestions as far as food and add in big part of this: balanced meals(as far as protein carb and fat) and spacing it so youre not rushing to cram in foods. More of a habit to start with.

This is way too simple. He needs to be taking at least 15 different supplements to fix himself ;)

Joke. Great advice!

Arrade

Maybe we should call it a compromised metabolism and not hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is a disorder of elevated TSH or low thyroid hormones

tara

I do not eat much veggies, because I hear mixed stories of them. I understand that well cooked they can be eaten, but not all. Sometimes I eat kale, zucchini, paprika.
Rather than just going by stories you hear - there are all sorts of stories because there can be pros and cons depending on people's state and people respond differently - I'd be wondering how you personally respond to them?
I like zucchini, kale and paprika too. Consider trying a wider range, and increasing amounts, and notice what makes things better or worse?

So I was thinking I try to add some fructose powder with every meal.
If you are keen to try it, you can give it a go and see if it serves you, but I'm wondering whether it might just be more empty calories of the kind your liver may have been getting enough of already? You say increasing sugar has not been working well so far. 1l OJ already gives you ~50g fructose. How about trying some other fruit, if you are wanting more fructose? That way you'd get some more minerals along with it.

Regarding BMs, add in some walking(20min) maybe 3-4 days a week to start, make an effort to get some intestinal bulk going- carrots, mushroom, cooked spinach, something to that effect. In a few days in it should in most cases help pass waste a little better.
+1 seems worth trying.

Luckytype

Keep in mind that sugar is pure fuel, if it works it helps reactions along. Reactions all require minerals, vitamins other bits and pieces. So sugar is great, sugar with a gas pedal(thyroid) is greater..but sugar with no essential pieces wont be effective. Keep this in mind, to speed up the frequency of reaction successfuly in-situ all the parts must be present.

tara

Keep in mind that sugar is pure fuel, if it works it helps reactions along. Reactions all require minerals, vitamins other bits and pieces. So sugar is great, sugar with a gas pedal(thyroid) is greater..but sugar with no essential pieces wont be effective. Keep this in mind, to speed up the frequency of reaction successfuly in-situ all the parts must be present.
+1

Runenight201

Yea sucrose with improper nutrition gave me cavities, so unless you’re in real good metabolic shape and your diet is good honestly I don’t think sucrose on its own is the move. I frequently recall looking back on how every time I ate sucrose, even in the form of fruit, my respiration markedly increased and I never felt really comfortable. Always agitated and felt like I couldn’t get a good, relaxing breath in. If I combined it with some fat then it was ok, but pure sucrose on its own can be a dangerous game imo.

I did get some great sugar highs tho lol. Sugar plus some music you love is a great experience. Add in some open roads, windows down, sun shining, lol that ***t’s tight.

OP
B

Bart1

Yes, you're absolutely right. I think sugar only works when metabolism is already working on the right pathways with good liver function.

Regarding your thyroid hormones, theres a chance theres some competitive conversion going on because of the only mildly elevated TSH but a higherish level of t4. Prolactin maybe indicating a little sluggishness or some E retention from slowed energy, you can look at what SHBG is going to do here too. Keep in mind cellular burden of estro may reflect differently than a blood level of the same. Fiber does help clear this.

Thank you, a lot of liquids is probably not very smart if for instance stomach acid is an issue. Chewing is probably a better option.

baccheion

What were estrogen levels? Blah total testosterone and higher SHBG suggests low free testosterone. Boron and magnesium tend to lower SHBG. Do you have any nutrient deficiencies? Magnesium?

Based on shared lab work, your thyroid seems fine. A hyperthyroid state can also result in fatigue, maybe due to L-carnitine (and other nutrient) depletion or lower testosterone.

somuch4food

Since your thyroid seems ok, I'd wager on mineral imbalances/deficiencies.

The fact that you can't tolerate much sugar can also be a sign of mineral deficiencies. Sugar needs minerals to be used properly.

I also had a go at including more liquids, but it did not feel great. Since I am not often thirsty, I had to force myself to drink. Excessive hydration leads to more mineral loss which is bad if you are already deficient.

I'm having more success with a solid diet with some fruit and more starch. I also seem to be getting more predictable results making sure I balance minerals.

Ideonaut

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I'm also fairly new to Ray Peat; I have tried so many things....I want to learn more about RP and apply it to improve my health, hope it can help, because I'm really lost

Some small information. last 6-7 years continuously felt worse and worse, tried a lot of supplements (natural herbs, vitamins etc, also taken a lot of iodine, which made things worse, training regimens, diets etc. 1 year ago, my sister has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and suddenly I was triggered that all of my problems could be caused by thyroid issues. I did the following lab work:

male, 37 years old, about 80kg, 1.86m

March 2017

TSH - ECLIA - 1.57 mU/l - range 0.27 - 4.20
Free T4 ECLIA - 19.56 pmol/l - range 11.6 - 21.9
Free T3 ECLIA - 4.45 pmol/l - range 3.08 - 6.78

TSH receptor antibodies ECLIA - <0.30 IU/l - range <1.75
Thyroglobulin antibodies ECLIA - 136 IU/ml - range < 115 - elevated
anti-TPO antibodies ECLIA - 9 kU/l - range <34

May 2018
morning without food
TSH - ECLIA - 1.61 mU/l - range 0.27 - 4.20
Free T4 ECLIA -19.69 pmol/l - range 11.6 - 21.9
Free T3 ECLIA - 4.42 pmol/l - range 3.08 - 6.78
Reverse T3 - 283.7 pmol/l - range 138.6 - 331.1
SHBG - 49.9 nmol/l - range 18.3 - 54.1

I'm feeling extreme tiredness, any form of activity is very hard, no sex drive, heart palpitations, muscle stiffness and soreness, brain fog, pain in my throat, insomnia, swollen fingers/feet (water retention?), cold, cold hands/feet.

Can someone help me, I'm really lost, my doctors say there's nothing wrong with me except for a small vitamin D deficit. But I feel terrible. They put my issues as psychosomatic :-( Do I have Hashimoto's, Euthyroid sick syndrome, low T3 syndrome

If I were hypothyroid and desperate, I'm sure I'd try this
Has anyone heard of or tried this alleged Russian folk medicine cure?

OP
B

Bart1

Ok an update to my situation. Not feeling better. I now have a constant bloat, water retention, hypoglycemia seems to have gotten worse and I have some mild cushing like symptoms (buffalo hump). I read a post once from haidut that using sugar and fructose when metabolism is depressed and using aspirin and niacinamide whom both prevent fatty acid oxidation fatten up the liver and might make things worse (both I use in low dose). I have taken another blood test for some things; doctors are not helping me.

october 2018

TSH - ECLIA - 2.11 mU/l - range 0.27 - 4.20
Total T4 ECLIA - 101.9 nmol/l - range 65.8 - 181.9
Total T3 ECLIA - 1.60 nmol/l - range 1.23 - 3.08
Reverse T3 - 428.4 pmol/l - range 138.6 - 331.1 - elevated

TSH receptor antibodies ECLIA - <0.30 IU/l - range <1.75
Thyroglobulin antibodies ECLIA - 147 IU/ml - range < 115 - elevated
anti-TPO antibodies ECLIA - 9 kU/l - range <34

Total cholesterol - 244.4 mg/dl
LDL cholesterol - 188.32 mg/dl
HDL cholesterol - 54.14 mg/dl

Prolactin - 8.4 ug/l - range 4.1 - 15.2

selenium - 2.12 umol/l - range 0.63 - 1.52 - elevated
zinc - 18.8 umol/l - 9.2 - 18.4 - elevated

One thing I noticed now is that my cholesterol is up. Previously I had low cholesterol. Does this mean my metabolism is maybe shifting now, from stress hormones to thyroid ? This should be good right? My resting hearrate is now around 60, temp 35.7 celcius (oral 5-10 minutes before measuring). I started this weekend with slowly adding thyroid again, I don't seem to get the stress response I used to get. It's a very low dose 3 times a day T3 1 mcg after a meal, and after evening meal T4 2 mcg, T3 1mcg. Don't seem to warm up though after taking it, but probably because the dose is still to low.

Suggestions much appreciated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals