Low AM Cortisol And Undetectable Progesterone On HCG

Broco6679

I've been on and off hormone replacement therapy for the last three years due to various testicular injuries procured during my late teens. I recently commenced HRT after a failed attempt at restarting my natural production, injecting 500iu HCG 3x p/w. After six weeks, here are my most recent bloods:

Context:

Height: 5’11”

Weight: 185lbs

Body fat percentage: ~18%

Diet: 3-4k calories per day; 150g protein per day. Foods are all peat approved w/ zero PUFA intake.

HRT Protocol:

500iu HCG, injected Tue/Thu/Sat

Bloods after five weeks of HCG, drawn on a Monday morning:

Sex Hormones:

Testosterone: 21.2 nmol/L (Range: 8.64 - 29)

Oestradiol: 168 pmol/L (Range: 41 - 159)

Progesterone: <0.159 nmol/L (Range: 0.64 - 4.7)

Adrenal Hormones:

DHEA Sulphate: 6.450 umol/L (Range: 5.73 - 13.4)

Cortisol AM (serum): 119.0 nmol/L (Range: 166 - 507)

Thyroid:

TSH: 1.60 mIU/L (Range: 0.27 - 4.2)

Free Thyroxine: 14.200 pmol/L (Range: 12 - 22)

Free T3: 6.09 pmol/L (Range: 3.1 - 6.8)

Cholesterol

Total Cholesterol: 3.92 mmol/L (Range: 0 - 5)

LDL Cholesterol: 2.38 mmol/L (Range: < 3)

Non-HDL Cholesterol: 2.81 mmol/L (Range: < 4)

HDL Cholesterol: 1.05 mmol/L (Range: > 1.1)

Inflammation:

CRP HS: 11.9 mg/L (Range: < 5)

My progesterone levels were already low off HRT, but now they're completely undetectable. Morning serum cortisol is also low, and estradiol is high. My HDL has dropped from 1.6 to below range, and my CRP is well above range (likely due to my digestive issues).

I was expecting HCG to increase DHEA-S, progesterone and cortisol given it directly stimulates leydig cholesterol -> pregnenolone conversion to produce intratesticular testosterone, but somehow it's done the opposite.

I currently have various symptoms of poor adrenal function and/or hypothyroidism:

• Absent Libido
  • Loss of muscle mass
  • Always cold, especially extremities
  • Thinning hair + outer eyebrows
  • Severe anxiety
  • Low mood coupled with poor motivation
  • Cognitive decline
  • Fatigue and low energy
  • Weight loss and developed of IBD
  • Heart palpitations and irregular heartbeat

I have access to NDT, T4, Progesterone, DHEA, adrenal glandular and testosterone through my prescribing clinician. I'm unsure whether to address low cortisol first through the use of progesterone and adrenal glandular, or address the symptoms of hypothyroidism first and hope that restoring thyroid function will take the strain off the adrenals and allow them to recover. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

youngsinatra

I've been on and off hormone replacement therapy for the last three years due to various testicular injuries procured during my late teens. I recently commenced HRT after a failed attempt at restarting my natural production, injecting 500iu HCG 3x p/w. After six weeks, here are my most recent bloods:

Context:

Diet: 3-4k calories per day; 150g protein per day. Foods are all peat approved w/ zero PUFA intake.

HRT Protocol:

Sex Hormones:

Adrenal Hormones:

Thyroid:

Cholesterol

Inflammation:

My progesterone levels were already low off HRT, but now they're completely undetectable. Morning serum cortisol is also low, and estradiol is high. My HDL has dropped from 1.6 to below range, and my CRP is well above range (likely due to my digestive issues).

I was expecting HCG to increase DHEA-S, progesterone and cortisol given it directly stimulates leydig cholesterol -> pregnenolone conversion to produce intratesticular testosterone, but somehow it's done the opposite.

I currently have various symptoms of poor adrenal function and/or hypothyroidism:

• Absent Libido
  • Loss of muscle mass
  • Severe anxiety
  • Cognitive decline
  • Fatigue and low energy

I have access to NDT, T4, Progesterone, DHEA, adrenal glandular and testosterone through my prescribing clinician. I'm unsure whether to address low cortisol first through the use of progesterone and adrenal glandular, or address the symptoms of hypothyroidism first and hope that restoring thyroid function will take the strain off the adrenals and allow them to recover. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Were you able to resolve that issue?

Hans

Forum Supporter

Context:

HRT Protocol:

Sex Hormones:

Adrenal Hormones:

Thyroid:

Cholesterol

Inflammation:

• Absent Libido
  • Loss of muscle mass
  • Severe anxiety
  • Cognitive decline
  • Fatigue and low energy

Low progesterone indicates low adrenal function, not testicular function. Low prog, cortisol and DHEA make sense in that regard. HCG doesn't stimulate the adrenals which is why prog and DHEA didn't go up.