Liver Health, Hot Flushes. No Evidence For Remedy Here

Lizb

I think I remember a quote from Ray saying that an injury would cause seratonin to be ever present (I have lung damage).

He also says that middle age brings particular hormonal problems.

He also said to take pregnenolone which made my hot flushes almost continuous. I stopped.

I think I discovered that eating an extraordinary amount of food works (unsustainable). Does this mean I have a problem with my liver, adrenal function or something else?

I do Buteyko which I have much evidence that it works (improved symptoms), but because of the hot flushes it causes slow progress.

I'm after an explanation of hot flushes. I have read Peat's energy paper but I think there might be something missing in my understanding.

Even if I have low body temperature I still have hot flushes. So the adrenalin is triggering the body to cool even when it doesn't need to. Why?

I seem stuck.

Note: hot flushing means broken sleep (although I do go back to sleep quickly), adrenalin, feelings of slight dread, decreased oxygen (tested on spO2 finger monitor) and presumably use of excess energy (wasted).

PS and not related - did anyone hear what Ray said about the kitten and its understanding of what Peat said to it? - maybe another thread for that. I quite frankly don't know what to do with that comment.

Tarmander

I have heard some success using Calcium D glucarate for hot flashes. I think the downsides are manageable. You can also add in DIM but that has more risk. If it is messing up your sleep, I would move heaven and earth to get it manageable so you can sleep, and then optimize from there.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

I have heard some success using Calcium D glucarate for hot flashes. I think the downsides are manageable. You can also add in DIM but that has more risk. If it is messing up your sleep, I would move heaven and earth to get it manageable so you can sleep, and then optimize from there.
Thank you for taking the time to reply Tarmander.
I hadn't heard of either of those and have now looked them up. Thank you.
Yes the sleep is a worry and so is all that adrenalin. I long for a reprieve.

somuch4food

Personally, my night sweats stopped when I lowered my carotenoids intake. I'm not convinced it's the carotenoids, but removing many colored fruits and vegetables did help with that symptom.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Personally, my night sweats stopped when I lowered my carotenoids intake. I'm not convinced it's the carotenoids, but removing many colored fruits and vegetables did help with that symptom.
Thank you. I heard Ray say this week in an interview that these affect the thyroid. In fact he said that the carrot salad was good if you were healthy and had a good thyroid function. It doesn't leave me much to eat. This is such a battle. Thanks again.

tara

Even if I have low body temperature I still have hot flushes. So the adrenalin is triggering the body to cool even when it doesn't need to. Why?
IIUC, hot flushes can occur as the body thermostat lowers under the influence of estrogen excess.
Also, adrenaline can rise during the night to sustain blood sugar if glycogen stores dip too low.
I think I discovered that eating an extraordinary amount of food works (unsustainable). Does this mean I have a problem with my liver, adrenal function or something else?
What is extraordinary for you?

I've had night sweats. I hardly ever do now. Eating enough is important for me to sleep through the night.

Depending on context, more food in some quantity and timing might make a difference, whether it's a small timely supper just before sleep, or more food earlier in the day or a something you can keep by the bed in case you wake up - depending on what works for you.
If you haven't yet read Peat's articles about estrogen and progesterone on his site, I'd recommend them.

Buteyko makes sense to me as potentially helpful. I think it needs good nutrition to work optimally too.

Progesterone makes them go away. Pregenenolone snd progesterone make symptoms worse by flushing estrogen from tissues. Taking a much larger quantity will usually get that estrogen flushed out and further smaller amounts will subsequently work very well and won’t cause more flushing.

SOMO

Progesterone makes them go away. Pregenenolone snd progesterone make symptoms worse by flushing estrogen from tissues. Taking a much larger quantity will usually get that estrogen flushed out and further smaller amounts will subsequently work very well and won’t cause more flushing.

This has been my mother’s experience with progesterone - using it caused almost immediate flushing which got better over time.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Ah right that makes sense. I wish I'd known that before. Are you saying to take both?

OP
Lizb

Lizb

IIUC, hot flushes can occur as the body thermostat lowers under the influence of estrogen excess.
Also, adrenaline can rise during the night to sustain blood sugar if glycogen stores dip too low.

What is extraordinary for you?

I've had night sweats. I hardly ever do now. Eating enough is important for me to sleep through the night.

Depending on context, more food in some quantity and timing might make a difference, whether it's a small timely supper just before sleep, or more food earlier in the day or a something you can keep by the bed in case you wake up - depending on what works for you.
If you haven't yet read Peat's articles about estrogen and progesterone on his site, I'd recommend them.

Buteyko makes sense to me as potentially helpful. I think it needs good nutrition to work optimally too.
Thanks. Yes food in quantity did remedy the situation but it was almost constant eating, maybe a gap of an hour sometimes.
I might try timely eating. I hadn't thought of that. Won't be eating at night or near bedtime as reflux would/can cause more lung damage. Trying to mix Peat and Buteyko is a real problem. They aim for the same ending, more co2, but are contrary in their eating advice. Hard work.

tara

They aim for the same ending, more co2, but are contrary in their eating advice.
It's not all contrary, as far as I can tell. I read quite a bit on Buteyko from Artour Rakhimov's site. Some similarities as far as I could see were:
Both seemed to recognise the importance of:
adequate minerals esp calcium
being careful about gut irritation
avoiding allergens
keeping blood sugars stable (Buteyko exercises can lower blood sugar, too - sometimes this is helpful, but it can also be too much if one starts hungry)
getting enough outdoor time/sunlight
bag-breathing or similar may well have similar effects to some of the Buteyko exercises.

But maybe some of Rakhimov's advice might risk lowering metabolism if pushed too hard.
I might try timely eating. I hadn't thought of that. Won't be eating at night or near bedtime as reflux would/can cause more lung damage.
I don't have experience with reflux.
Would even something very easily digested like some honey dissolved in warm water or something half and hour or an hour before bed cause trouble?
Have you tried the slightly inclined bed approach? There's a thread or two - some people have found it helpful for a number of things. Some people have also found sleeping sitting up to work well for them.

Sometimes it seems to me that constant desire to eat indicates I'm missing something specific. If it's not calories, it might be B-vitamins, or calcium, or protein, or something else ... Trial and error sometimes finds what satisfies.

Good luck

LucyL

I find when I do a sauna (I have a Relax Far Infrared Sauna) in the evening, usually 2-3 hours before bed, that I can sleep through the night without any hot flashes.

schultz

I think I remember a quote from Ray saying that an injury would cause seratonin to be ever present (I have lung damage).

And the lungs detoxify serotonin. If your lungs are damaged then serotonin might not be detoxified properly.

PS and not related - did anyone hear what Ray said about the kitten and its understanding of what Peat said to it? - maybe another thread for that. I quite frankly don't know what to do with that comment.

You'd have to talk to him to see exactly what he meant. Sometimes these little anecdotes he brings up can make him sound a bit eccentric because he fails to elaborate (give his opinion) on them. However, he has talked about stuff like this before and it is actually a fascinating subject. I think it was the Politics & Science podcast where he talked about ants. I don't exactly remember what he said but what I took away was he thought ants are a lot smarter than we think. He said something along the lines of "ants aren't stupid, they are just studied in stupid ways". I'm heavily paraphrasing that, but the idea is there. I really love that thought and I have no doubt it's true with a lot of things. Our knowledge of things is based on how we study them and the study parameters are created by humans, from a human perspective.

So, are animals smarter than we have historically thought? Take for instance goats... (I think someone posted something similar about sheep on the forum recently.)

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-goats-happy-people.html

Academic authoritarians, language, metaphor, animals, and science
"A traveling bird or dog can see a pattern once, and later, going in the opposite direction, can recognize and find specific places and objects. An ant or bee can see a pattern once, and communicate it to others.

If dogs and birds lived in colonies or cities, as bees and ants do, and carried food home from remote locations, they might have a need to communicate their knowledge. The fact that birds and dogs use their vocal organs and brains to communicate in ways that people have seldom cared to study doesn't imply that their brains differ radically from human brains in lacking a “language organ.”

People whose ideology says that “animals use instinct rather than intelligence,” and that they lack “the language instinct,” refuse to perceive animals that are demonstrating their ability to generalize or to understand language"

aquaman

Start at 1.21 for background or go straight to 1.25 mins for the story and finishes at around 1.27.15 seconds so nice and short.

Freaked me out somewhat.

Wow, not sure what to make of that.

The part before about talking to children as little adults is very interesting. A few friends have kids who are 6-8 years old, I’ve noticed that the ones whose parents speak to them in a more adult way, are much more mature and alive than the ones whose parents speak to them in kiddy language and try to keep them sheltered from adult ways.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals