Liver Health, Hot Flushes. No Evidence For Remedy Here

OP
Lizb

Lizb

And the lungs detoxify serotonin. If your lungs are damaged then serotonin might not be detoxified properly.

You'd have to talk to him to see exactly what he meant. Sometimes these little anecdotes he brings up can make him sound a bit eccentric because he fails to elaborate (give his opinion) on them. However, he has talked about stuff like this before and it is actually a fascinating subject. I think it was the Politics & Science podcast where he talked about ants. I don't exactly remember what he said but what I took away was he thought ants are a lot smarter than we think. He said something along the lines of "ants aren't stupid, they are just studied in stupid ways". I'm heavily paraphrasing that, but the idea is there. I really love that thought and I have no doubt it's true with a lot of things. Our knowledge of things is based on how we study them and the study parameters are created by humans, from a human perspective.

So, are animals smarter than we have historically thought? Take for instance goats... (I think someone posted something similar about sheep on the forum recently.)

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-goats-happy-people.html

Academic authoritarians, language, metaphor, animals, and science
"A traveling bird or dog can see a pattern once, and later, going in the opposite direction, can recognize and find specific places and objects. An ant or bee can see a pattern once, and communicate it to others.

If dogs and birds lived in colonies or cities, as bees and ants do, and carried food home from remote locations, they might have a need to communicate their knowledge. The fact that birds and dogs use their vocal organs and brains to communicate in ways that people have seldom cared to study doesn't imply that their brains differ radically from human brains in lacking a “language organ.”

People whose ideology says that “animals use instinct rather than intelligence,” and that they lack “the language instinct,” refuse to perceive animals that are demonstrating their ability to generalize or to understand language"
Thank you. Lovely reply. Food for thought.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

It's not all contrary, as far as I can tell. I read quite a bit on Buteyko from Artour Rakhimov's site. Some similarities as far as I could see were:
Both seemed to recognise the importance of:
adequate minerals esp calcium
being careful about gut irritation
avoiding allergens
keeping blood sugars stable (Buteyko exercises can lower blood sugar, too - sometimes this is helpful, but it can also be too much if one starts hungry)
getting enough outdoor time/sunlight
bag-breathing or similar may well have similar effects to some of the Buteyko exercises.

But maybe some of Rakhimov's advice might risk lowering metabolism if pushed too hard.

I don't have experience with reflux.
Would even something very easily digested like some honey dissolved in warm water or something half and hour or an hour before bed cause trouble?
Have you tried the slightly inclined bed approach? There's a thread or two - some people have found it helpful for a number of things. Some people have also found sleeping sitting up to work well for them.

Sometimes it seems to me that constant desire to eat indicates I'm missing something specific. If it's not calories, it might be B-vitamins, or calcium, or protein, or something else ... Trial and error sometimes finds what satisfies.

Good luck
I had noted the similarities.
I do use inclined bed therapy and wouldn't put the bed down now, but I do still need to keep clear of drink one hour before bed.
Maybe it's protein I need. Many have recommended b vitamins before. I'm a bit lacking in keeping up with eating liver. I don't dislike it and I haven't got into gelatine really. I have collagen but it seems to make no difference. I take magnesium, maybe I need more. It's so frustrating and upsetting.

Forsythia

I had this problem for years. Hot flushing that would last for hours every day. The only thing that works is keeping my vitamin d at a high level. I take D3 every day and can now live a much more normal life.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

I had this problem for years. Hot flushing that would last for hours every day. The only thing that works is keeping my vitamin d at a high level. I take D3 every day and can now live a much more normal life.
Right, I'll try that. Any advice on dose? If you're in the UK can you advise a supply also? Thank you.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Progesterone makes them go away. Pregenenolone snd progesterone make symptoms worse by flushing estrogen from tissues. Taking a much larger quantity will usually get that estrogen flushed out and further smaller amounts will subsequently work very well and won’t cause more flushing.
Unfortunately the pregnenolone makes me flush ALL night. That means about an hour of sleep. I'm stuck.

You have a lot of estrogen stored. If you take a few large doses you will get through this and out the other side.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

You have a lot of estrogen stored. If you take a few large doses you will get through this and out the other side.
I took one 50mg tablet yesterday morning and flushed all night. It has happened before. What dose do you recommend? And for how long should I expect this to go on for? Ray Peat recommended I take one tablet every three days for a while (to see if there were any effects from tablet content - purity), then every second day.
I have been Peating for at least three years.
I understand if you don't want to advise but hope someone will.
Clearly I can only go in so long with extremes sleep shortage.

Progesterone is probably quicker, 50mg or 100mg once or twice should do the trick for men. For women, probably 400mg once or twice of progesterone.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Progesterone is probably quicker, 50mg or 100mg once or twice should do the trick for men. For women, probably 400mg once or twice of progesterone.
Ok thank you. Now to find a UK source. The supplier I was given is out of stock. Being hopeful!

tara

I have been Peating for at least three years.
What do you mean by this?
What were you doing before you started 'peating'?
Do you think all the changes were helpful for you?

Sleep deprivation like that is a killer. Hope you can get relief.
Did you use to sleep better previously?

D

danishispsychic

Start at 1.21 for background or go straight to 1.25 mins for the story and finishes at around 1.27.15 seconds so nice and short.

Freaked me out somewhat.

not freaky at all- i had a beloved american eskimo for 17 years that totally understood adult language and that started when he was a puppy.

vanessad

Progesterone makes them go away. Pregenenolone snd progesterone make symptoms worse by flushing estrogen from tissues. Taking a much larger quantity will usually get that estrogen flushed out and further smaller amounts will subsequently work very well and won’t cause more flushing.
How much is a larger amount. I have this same issue it’s very frustrating! Thx! So glad I stumbled onto this thread!