Which thyroid supplement is best?

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Hypothyroidism and thiamine deficiency have many identical symptoms. The thyroid needs thiamine to do its job, just like every other organ in the body. However, hypothyroidism is a whole other topic. I am hypothyroid; I take NP Thyroid by Accella, which is a prescription thyroid medication that I get with the help of a good endocrinologist. I also take a single 200mcg capsule of selenium daily which seems to have improved my health.

Treating thiamine deficiency PLUS treating hypothyroidism is tricky because taking too much thyroid medication can equal to giving yourself hyperthyroidism; hyperthyroidism blocks thiamine function. Just taking thiamine does NOT resolve hypothyroidism; there are other factors involved.

I have read that Dr. Lonsdale (thiamine expert) has said that taking TTFD thiamine for 30 days will resolve lead poisoning. My husband was having symptoms of lead poisoning after using leaded aviation gas in his lawn mower and weed eater and leaf blower. He now takes 2 capsules of TTFD (=200mg)/day and seems to have recovered. He no longer uses the leaded gasoline.

No, my temperature normalized within 45 minutes of taking a single dose of 300-350 mgs of thiamine hcl with water and away from food.

Take the thiamine hcl with water, but not first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If your blood sugar is low, thiamine will lower it further and can make you feel pretty awful. Just space the thiamine 30 minutes or so before and after eating.

If you can't get passed the taste of the thiamine hcl, then I think that trying TTFD thiamine would be the way to go, assuming you can tolerate it. I was unable to tolerate it because my glutathione level was very low and TTFD uses glutathione to work; one capsule of TTFD gave me a headache that lasted 36 hours. After that trial of the single capsule, I decided the taste of thiamine hcl wasn't so bad after all. My husband takes TTFD thiamine and suffers no negative effects from it.

Yes, taking thiamine with orange juice cancels out the benefit of the thiamine.
One more question, please:
It seems that I get quite a bit of acid Reflux from Thiamine HCL. Is that the infamous paradoxical reaction/initial worsening of symptoms during repletion of B1? Any idea how to avoid/ameliorate the reflux?

Thanks alot!!!

mostlylurking

One more question, please:
It seems that I get quite a bit of acid Reflux from Thiamine HCL. Is that the infamous paradoxical reaction/initial worsening of symptoms during repletion of B1? Any idea how to avoid/ameliorate the reflux?

Thanks alot!!!
I don't think the acid reflux has to do with the "paradoxical/initial worsening" that Dr. Lonsdale talks about. He liked to use TTFD thiamine and I had a bad reaction to that type of thiamine myself; it gave me a headache that lasted 36 hours. I'm pretty sure my problem with taking TTFD had to do with my very low glutathione status; TTFD thiamine uses glutathione (somehow, some way).

Dr. Costantini only used thiamine hcl for his patients. He said that the patient should experience no negative effects from taking thiamine hcl. If they did initially experience negative effects or a worsening of their symptoms he would stop treatment for a week and then resume treatment with perhaps 50% of the first dosage.

I found Dr. Costantini's website to be very informative, especially the Therapy page and the FAQs.

When I take thiamine hcl, I always put it in 12 oz of water and drink it down. Maybe you're not drinking enough water with it?

Coderr

I don't think the acid reflux has to do with the "paradoxical/initial worsening" that Dr. Lonsdale talks about. He liked to use TTFD thiamine and I had a bad reaction to that type of thiamine myself; it gave me a headache that lasted 36 hours. I'm pretty sure my problem with taking TTFD had to do with my very low glutathione status; TTFD thiamine uses glutathione (somehow, some way).

Dr. Costantini only used thiamine hcl for his patients. He said that the patient should experience no negative effects from taking thiamine hcl. If they did initially experience negative effects or a worsening of their symptoms he would stop treatment for a week and then resume treatment with perhaps 50% of the first dosage.

I found Dr. Costantini's website to be very informative, especially the Therapy page and the FAQs.

When I take thiamine hcl, I always put it in 12 oz of water and drink it down. Maybe you're not drinking enough water with it?
How is thiamine mononitrate?

OP
M

Mjeffersondc

@Mjeffersondc : Please note the other option of TTFD thiamine that I mentioned above. This is an additional option that is available. The dosing amount of TTFD thiamine is much lower than the dosing for thiamine hcl because it does not have the absorption problem that the hcl type has.

Dr. Lonsdale, Dr. Chandler Marrs, and Elliot Overton all prefer TTFD thiamine for their patients/clients. I just couldn't tolerate it myself. My husband takes TTFD and is benefitting from it.
I heard from Dr. Berg that benfotamine is the
@Mjeffersondc : Please note the other option of TTFD thiamine that I mentioned above. This is an additional option that is available. The dosing amount of TTFD thiamine is much lower than the dosing for thiamine hcl because it does not have the absorption problem that the hcl type has.

Dr. Lonsdale, Dr. Chandler Marrs, and Elliot Overton all prefer TTFD thiamine for their patients/clients. I just couldn't tolerate it myself. My husband takes TTFD and is benefitting from it.
What do you think of Benfotamine? Is that a better thiamine than TTFD thiamine?

mostlylurking

I heard from Dr. Berg that benfotamine is the

What do you think of Benfotamine? Is that a better thiamine than TTFD thiamine?
I have heard Elliot Overton say that after TTFD thiamine benfotiamine is his second best choice. I personally have no experience with benfotiamine. I have only tried thiamine hcl, TTFD, and sublingual thiamine mononitrate. I have read the argument that TTFD and benfotiamine cross the blood brain barrier but that thiamine hcl does not. However I have also read (Dr. Costantini) that thiamine hcl crosses the blood brain barrier just fine if you take high doses of it to flood your system and that benfotiamine does not cross the blood brain barrier. I suspect there might be a little turf war going on amongst the experts about this. I believe that Dr. Costantini is correct about high dose thiamine hcl crossing the blood brain barrier as that was my own experience; my head cleared and my thought ability normalized from high dosing it. I also experienced cerebral response from the sublingual thiamine mononitrate. TTFD just gave me a 36 hour headache so I'm pretty sure it affected my brain too, just not in a good way (due to my low glutathione status).

Here's an article about the different types of thiamine:

Here's a link to Dr. Costantini's patients' before and after videos that plainly show massive cerebral improvement from taking thiamine hcl.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals