What is/was/were your most unusual hypothyroid symptom(s)?

bookshelf

Perhaps a better way to word this would be, "What symptom(s), that you didn't necessarily equate with the thyroid, went away after you regulated/optimized your thyroid?".

drdeb Ph.D.

Forum Supporter
I currently take NP Thyroid for Hashimotos thyroiditis. It is similar to Armour. Before treatment, I was very sad with low energy. I was angry for no reason. I also had leg aches at night. Even though I ate little and avoided gluten, I still gained weight. Also, my hair was falling out.

youngsinatra

My long-term vertigo, dizziness and exercise intolerance improved tremendously after supplementing thyroid. Before thyroid my body was unable to elevate it's heart rate in response to exercise (HR stayed at 60-70 bpm, when I would have needed a HR of 100-120+) and as I had a general issue with bradycardia, it felt like I was getting low on oxygen while exerting myself as my tissues and brain did not receive enough oxygenated blood to maintain normal function.

youngsinatra

„In milder cases of reduced thyroid function, the reduction in circulation is, of course, not nearly that severe. Yet even mild reduction of circulation, despite the presence of adequate hemoglobin and adequate red cells, can mean that less than normal amounts of oxygen are reaching the tissues which are always anemic to a degree.
— B. Barnes Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness (page 60)

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

I currently take NP Thyroid for Hashimotos thyroiditis. It is similar to Armour. Before treatment, I was very sad with low energy. I was angry for no reason. I also had leg aches at night. Even though I ate little and avoided gluten, I still gained weight. Also, my hair was falling out.
It sounds like these things resolved? How long did it take, roughly?

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

„In milder cases of reduced thyroid function, the reduction in circulation is, of course, not nearly that severe. Yet even mild reduction of circulation, despite the presence of adequate hemoglobin and adequate red cells, can mean that less than normal amounts of oxygen are reaching the tissues which are always anemic to a degree.
— B. Barnes Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness (page 60)
My long-term vertigo, dizziness and exercise intolerance improved tremendously after supplementing thyroid. Before thyroid my body was unable to elevate it's heart rate in response to exercise (HR stayed at 60-70 bpm, when I would have needed a HR of 100-120+) and as I had a general issue with bradycardia, it felt like I was getting low on oxygen while exerting myself as my tissues and brain did not receive enough oxygenated blood to maintain normal function.

I find it fascinating how many symptoms/illnesses directly relate to poor thyroid function yet it is completely underestimated.

wzuo

I had problems with stomachache, it hurted few times a month without special reason, and also after drinking anything containing caffeine. Stopped almost immediately after taking NDT.
Also I have had pains of joints, thought it was Lyme at first.
Other symptoms were classic hypothyroid symptoms like sadness, being tired all the time etc.
All despite having thyroid results in range.

drdeb Ph.D.

Forum Supporter
It sounds like these things resolved? How long did it take, roughly? It took about a year to resolve most issues. I still have leg cramps on occasion. I take Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium. It is Lysinate Glycinate. I am also celiac with collagenous Colitis but this is one form of magnesium that seems to work without the side effects. I keep a bottle of Theraworx relief to spray on any leg cramps that wake me up.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Insomnia, my teeth got f*ucked, and ever elusive stomach issues
Yikes. That's no fun. I'm trusting you found relief? I have the weirdest sleep patterns (among other things) since my thyroid has been out of whack. Stomach stuff, too - but not the run of the mill stomach issues. Elusive is the perfect word. Thanks for weighing in.

FrostedShores

I had a mark on my upper arm that had been there for years, and I had just assumed was a birthmark. After about six months of applying Ray Peat's principles to my diet, the mark disappeared. No idea what it was, but it's gone now.

I also used to get this really strange and intense itching on the bottom of my feet and the palms of my hands. Again, I have no idea what was causing it, but it hasn't occurred in a really long time.

Finally, I was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia when I was relatively young. This is a heart condition that causes irregular pulse rate. My doctor at the time told me it was genetic and incurable. I used to have an episode every week or so, sometimes more. The frequency of episodes went down drastically after switching to a Peat-based diet, and the last episode I had was way back in May and it only lasted maybe two minutes or so. I also had an arrhythmia that went away almost as soon as I reintroduced carbs to my diet (I was strict keto before discovering Peat's work). I think I had a magnesium deficiency, and carbs seem to help hold onto magnesium.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

I had a mark on my upper arm that had been there for years, and I had just assumed was a birthmark. After about six months of applying Ray Peat's principles to my diet, the mark disappeared. No idea what it was, but it's gone now.

I also used to get this really strange and intense itching on the bottom of my feet and the palms of my hands. Again, I have no idea what was causing it, but it hasn't occurred in a really long time.

Finally, I was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia when I was relatively young. This is a heart condition that causes irregular pulse rate. My doctor at the time told me it was genetic and incurable. I used to have an episode every week or so, sometimes more. The frequency of episodes went down drastically after switching to a Peat-based diet, and the last episode I had was way back in May and it only lasted maybe two minutes or so. I also had an arrhythmia that went away almost as soon as I reintroduced carbs to my diet (I was strict keto before discovering Peat's work). I think I had a magnesium deficiency, and carbs seem to help hold onto magnesium.
Wow! That's really something! Did you also incorporate thyroid support in the way of any other supplements (besides the magnesium) and/or medicine (like NDT or T3 only)?

FrostedShores

Wow! That's really something! Did you also incorporate thyroid support in the way of any other supplements (besides the magnesium) and/or medicine (like NDT or T3 only)?
I've never taken T3, mainly because I don't have an easy way to get it. I did take desiccated beef thyroid for a while but I didn't notice much from it and it was really expensive, so I stopped.

The things outside of diet that I've noticed the most benefit from would be: daily red light therapy, methylene blue, niacinamide, pregnenolone + DHEA (currently using haidut's pansterone product, but I had good results with other brands, too), plenty of the fat-soluble vitamins, and regular use of activated charcoal mixed with coconut oil (a few times a week, maybe more depending on how I'm feeling). I believe all of these benefit the thyroid, either directly or indirectly.

To be clear, I still have several health issues I'm trying to address. Things have improved significantly following Peat's work, but I'm still a long ways from my ideal state of health.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

I've never taken T3, mainly because I don't have an easy way to get it. I did take desiccated beef thyroid for a while but I didn't notice much from it and it was really expensive, so I stopped.

The things outside of diet that I've noticed the most benefit from would be: daily red light therapy, methylene blue, niacinamide, pregnenolone + DHEA (currently using haidut's pansterone product, but I had good results with other brands, too), plenty of the fat-soluble vitamins, and regular use of activated charcoal mixed with coconut oil (a few times a week, maybe more depending on how I'm feeling). I believe all of these benefit the thyroid, either directly or indirectly.

To be clear, I still have several health issues I'm trying to address. Things have improved significantly following Peat's work, but I'm still a long ways from my ideal state of health.
Good insight, thanks for elucidating. I think most people on this forum still have kinks to work out or else they wouldn't be on this forum, they'd be out enjoying life to the fullest. I hope you get further resolution and achieve ideal health. It's my goal, too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals