Hypothyroidism And Red Light Therapy

Smoog

Has anyone tried using red light therapy for hypothyroidism? If so, did you find it helped?
I'm looking for some non-chemical alternative, partly because I'm not too keen on supplements but mostly because I'm having an impossible job convincing the local quack of a doctor I almost certainly have a very underactive thyroid.

I've been feeling very lethargic the past few years (along with several other issues like brain fog etc) but it wasn't until I talked to mum about this that I found out hypothyroidism runs in the family. My grandmother (mum's mother) had her thyroid out when she was 19, my mum and 3 of her sisters are on thyroid medication and my oldest brother had his thyroid out when he was my age. All due to hypothyroidism.
This spurred me into doing some research and out of all the signs of hypothyroidism, I can tick off all of them bar period problems. But that's probably more due to me having a Y chromosome...

Armed with all this I went to the local gp. I explained my family history and gave him all my symptoms. And what did he say to me? "It certainly looks like you have an underactive thyroid but I think you're just depressed." (Yes, he did say 'just' depressed. I guess he thinks depression isn't important enough to do anything about. Not like anyone has ever died of depression...)
WTH?! How does me apparently 'just' having depression cause half my family to have thyroid issues, some of whom decades before I was born?

He initially refused to bloodtest me but eventually, begrudingly, did. Though this was in the afternoon after I'd had lunch and 3 cups of coffee (I didn't know at the time that I should have fasted beforehand). My results came back as very low but just above the minimum. I wasn't able to see the doctor: all he did was scrawl along the bottom of my test results, 'no further action required'. Which again shows his utter indifference to depression. If I didn't have thyroid issues, wouldn't this then prove my symptoms indicate depression? But he refused to see me.

I know your first thought would be, 'forget that quack, go see another doctor!' Unfortunately I'm in the middle of nowhere in West Australia and he's the only doctor within a few hundred km. I can go see another (hopefully competent) doctor when I'm next in Perth but that won't be for several weeks.

I'm stuck trying to find alternative therapies. I did try some vitamin supplemts supposedly meant to help thyroid issues but they're mostly just B vitamins and a few minerals, and for some reason made me feel rather nauseous. I came across Red light therapy and am keen to try it. But only if it has shown to work. I don't want to spend a couple hundred on a useless light!

Anyone who has tried it, please tell me how it went and if you felt it helped. Thanks!

marteagal

I remember that @Strongbad has experienced significant improvement:

"My temps these days are around 98.6F-98.8F. I conclude that it [850 nm red light] did cure my hypothyroidism. I don't know how long it'll last or whether the hypothyroidism will come back at all. But if it does, I'll just do another 1 or 2 sessions just for "maintenance". Much easier than taking thyroid supplement." (post #86 in Red Light Therapy / LLLT Cures Hypothyroid?

wintagal

What a travesty of medical care. You can ask for another blood test - the results can vary, and if you're borderline another test may show you as a candidate for thyroid replacement. The TSH number is highest early in the morning (indicating a need for replacement thyroid) and that is what US docs go by the most. So take your blood test as early as possible.
I have read about people who have ordered cynomel (T3) and levothyroxine (T4) from Mexico, India, etc.
Depression is a symptom of hypothyroidism. I don't know why docs are willing to give you psychoactive substances but won't try thyroid first.

walker_in_aus

I'm so sorry this happened to you. My experience even in a town in Victoria with 100s of doctors - they do not like you going in with your own ideas. What an ****. "Just Depressed". It annoys me so much that as a citizen who pays a shiteload of tax to support our medical systems I am more up to date on research than they are. AND I have to work full time!

I had the same problem, even when I went to a functional doctor who said "Well your thyroid is probably not great" but still proceeded to just sell me his expensive Iron supplements and who became obsessed with methylation. I buy NDT from Idealabsdc which is haidut on this forum. Gets to me in Central Victoria just fine from America in about five-seven days, but there are heaps of other stuff you can do before supplementing thyroid.

Just read this forum a lot. And we're in the sunny country so get some sun on your neck at midday - shouldn't be a problem in Way Out West!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals