What does this forum think of alpha lipoic acid and açai berry?

mamakitty

Are alpha lipoic acid and açai berry Peat approved? Are they beneficial for metabolism and general health? Are they detrimental? Are they good for fertility enhancement?

GTW

Alpha lipoic acid may drop blood sugar. Good if you need it, not if you don't.

JohnHafterson

There are some benefits to alpha lipoic acid for metabolic, neurological issues, diabetics, liver, etc.

It can effect thyroid function by limiting conversion of T4 to T3. It always made my hands cold and hair shed.

I did get lean on it and skin looked pretty good but the muscle fatigue and cold hands weren't worth it.

Helped manage my blood sugars and lower amount of insulin I needed to cover carbohydrates.

I don't think it has any advantage over a good nutritious diet for generally healthy people.

OP
M

mamakitty

There are some benefits to alpha lipoic acid for metabolic, neurological issues, diabetics, liver, etc.

It can effect thyroid function by limiting conversion of T4 to T3. It always made my hands cold and hair shed.

I did get lean on it and skin looked pretty good but the muscle fatigue and cold hands weren't worth it.

Helped manage my blood sugars and lower amount of insulin I needed to cover carbohydrates.

I don't think it has any advantage over a good nutritious diet for generally healthy people.
Thank you!
What if one is not generally healthy? I’m interested in using it to enhance fertility and lower blood pressure too

-Luke-

I tried alpha lipoic acid more than ten years ago. Caused hair loss for me.

Michael Mohn

I remember that Peat warned against the use of alpha lipoic acid for heavy metal detox as it can move heavy metal like mercury from tissues into the brain and nerve system where it's much more harmful. This effect is apparently stronger when used intravenously. I'm not sure about oral way, which I learned now is a thing. General usage seems to be questionable.

Açai, isn't it a less tasty berry than blueberry but so much more healthy, antioxidants and rainforest 'n shìt? Why would you want to eat Açai?

JohnHafterson

Thank you!
What if one is not generally healthy? I’m interested in using it to enhance fertility and lower blood pressure too
Never looked into alpha lipoic acid and fertility or blood pressure. I think there are better things out there for both.

Better to address fertility with high nutrient diet with all the fat solubles ( A, D, E, K ) and adequate mineral content ( Zinc, Magnesium, B vitamins, etc. ) and potentially making sure thyroid function is good.

For blood pressure taurine, magnesium are good. But need to figure out if you can what's causing blood pressure issues as opposed to tackling blindly and "throwing things at the wall hoping they stick."

OP
M

mamakitty

Never looked into alpha lipoic acid and fertility or blood pressure. I think there are better things out there for both.

Better to address fertility with high nutrient diet with all the fat solubles ( A, D, E, K ) and adequate mineral content ( Zinc, Magnesium, B vitamins, etc. ) and potentially making sure thyroid function is good.

For blood pressure taurine, magnesium are good. But need to figure out if you can what's causing blood pressure issues as opposed to tackling blindly and "throwing things at the wall hoping they stick."
Thank you! I never had blood pressure until after I gave birth and weeks later got proteinuria which was caused by high blood pressure. They put me on calcium channel blockers and slowly but surely both my bp and proteinuria came back down to acceptable levels.
However, I don’t want to continue taking meds and want to figure out natural remedies to lower my blood pressure. I heard ALA and acai berry both help. I have used taurine and magnesium sometimes but didn’t see a difference.

Similarly for fertility, the experts say ala and açai berry help. But they also recommend omega 3, coQ10, and NAD.

I’m very frustrated as nothing seems to help. But I know the root cause for all my problems is me being overweight. I’m thinking of going low carb in desperation bc the last time I lost weight five years ago was on low carb.

OP
M

mamakitty

I remember that Peat warned against the use of alpha lipoic acid for heavy metal detox as it can move heavy metal like mercury from tissues into the brain and nerve system where it's much more harmful. This effect is apparently stronger when used intravenously. I'm not sure about oral way, which I learned now is a thing. General usage seems to be questionable.

Açai, isn't it a less tasty berry than blueberry but so much more healthy, antioxidants and rainforest 'n shìt? Why would you want to eat Açai?
Oh my, that’s very concerning.
I read that açai berry helps with fertility and high blood pressure.

Michael Mohn

Oh my, that’s very concerning.
I read that açai berry helps with fertility and high blood pressure.
This sounds more like marketing.

Growing a baby needs a lot of energy and increasing metabolism is the best way to increase fertility, low pufa, high sugar, lots of sunlight, no exhausting exercise, good protein is the long term approach.
Progesterone, vitamin e and eating liver are helpful with fertility.

Last edited:
OP
M

mamakitty

This sounds more like marketing.

Growing a baby needs a lot of energy and increasing metabolism is the best way to increase fertility, low pufa, high sugar, lots of sunlight, no exhausting exercise, good protein is the long term approach.
Progesterone, vitamin e and eating liver are helpful with fertility.
Thank you!
I’m not able to get progesterone without prescription and I don’t go to doctors.

What are your thoughts on studies that show increased mortality with vitamin E supplementation?

Michael Mohn

Thank you!
I’m not able to get progesterone without prescription and I don’t go to doctors.

What are your thoughts on studies that show increased mortality with vitamin E supplementation?
Depending on where you live you can order progesterone online.

I'm not aware of studies showing increased mortality for vitamin E supplementation. Can you point to a specific study you have in mind? Also you want to supplement only your recommended daily allowance of vitamin E for the goal of getting prego, right?

OP
M

mamakitty

Depending on where you live you can order progesterone online.

I'm not aware of studies showing increased mortality for vitamin E supplementation. Can you point to a specific study you have in mind? Also you want to supplement only your recommended daily allowance of vitamin E for the goal of getting prego, right?
I’m in Canada and it seems they block online sales for progesterone.

I’m taking 400 iu vitamin E to get pregnant, yes! I also give it to my husband, albeit not regularly. I also take baby aspirin but only during the period because I’m scared I might miscarry if I get pregnant that cycle.

I’m going to find the studies to send you. But I have heard it on multiple YouTube doctors channels saying studies have shown vitamin E, instead of reducing mortality, increases it.

I’ll have to go through some to find you the studies.

Meanwhile, do you know if there’s any weight to coQ10? It’s very expensive. I wonder if it does anything.
I’m sorry to burden you with all the questions. You can point me to someone else who is an expert on fertility, if you know.
Thank you!

Michael Mohn

I’m in Canada and it seems they block online sales for progesterone.
I think some Leafys found ways to get progesterone shipped to Canada. Maybe they can give you advice.
I’m taking 400 iu vitamin E to get pregnant, yes! I also give it to my husband, albeit not regularly. I also take baby aspirin but only during the period because I’m scared I might miscarry if I get pregnant that cycle.

I’m going to find the studies to send you. But I have heard it on multiple YouTube doctors channels saying studies have shown vitamin E, instead of reducing mortality, increases it.

I’ll have to go through some to find you the studies.

Vitamin E and vitamin C supplement use and risk of all-cause and coronary heart disease mortality in older persons: the Established Populations for Epidemiologic Studies of the Elderly.​

In this meta study vitamin e supplementation reduces all cause mortality.
Meanwhile, do you know if there’s any weight to coQ10? It’s very expensive. I wonder if it does anything.
Peat mentioned it favorably but I always hesitated to buy it due to the high price. CoQ10 is a quinone and all quinones are beneficial.
I’m sorry to burden you with all the questions. You can point me to someone else who is an expert on fertility, if you know.
Your welcome. As I haven't had children I don't consider myself an expert in fertility indeed.
I still have opinions about fertility though.
All processes of growth need energy reserves, if your body feels there's not enough energy stored to support the growth of a child no reproduction will be started. Therefore eating enjoyable, nutrient rich foods and a low stress environment are fundamental and one frequent, unpleasant side effect is getting chubby.
Being around other pregnant women seems to be helpful in getting started I heard.

Attachments

• vitamin e c mortality.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals