Calcium Alpha-ketoglutarate. A Calcium Supplement With Added Benefits?

LeeLemonoil

I don’t think calcium adds anything. Calcium-AKG would likely dissociate in the gut anyway

LeeLemonoil

Interesting that a-KG prevents starvation-induced autophagy while not modulating cell respiration as the abstracts States at the end.
While this is intricate and against some life-extension dogmas where Autophagie and calorie restriction is key this is the Second pro-metabolic substance with Riboflavin that „paradoxically“ does such things. As @haidut recently posted about B2 and mTOR

Abstract​

The metabolite α-ketoglutarate is membrane-impermeable, meaning that it is usually added to cells in the form of esters such as dimethyl -ketoglutarate (DMKG), trifluoromethylbenzyl α-ketoglutarate (TFMKG) and octyl α-ketoglutarate (O-KG). Once these compounds cross the plasma membrane, they are hydrolyzed by esterases to generate α-ketoglutarate, which remains trapped within cells. Here, we systematically compared DMKG, TFMKG and O-KG for their metabolic and functional effects. All three compounds similarly increased the intracellular levels of α-ketoglutarate, yet each of them had multiple effects on other metabolites that were not shared among the three agents, as determined by mass spectrometric metabolomics. While all three compounds reduced autophagy induced by culture in nutrient-free conditions, TFMKG and O-KG (but not DMKG) caused an increase in baseline autophagy in cells cultured in complete medium. O-KG (but neither DMKG nor TFMK) inhibited oxidative phosphorylation and exhibited cellular toxicity. Altogether, these results support the idea that intracellular α-ketoglutarate inhibits starvation-induced autophagy and that it has no direct respiration-inhibitory effect.

golder

Interesting that a-KG prevents starvation-induced autophagy while not modulating cell respiration as the abstracts States at the end.
While this is intricate and against some life-extension dogmas where Autophagie and calorie restriction is key this is the Second pro-metabolic substance with Riboflavin that „paradoxically“ does such things. As @haidut recently posted about B2 and mTOR

Abstract​

The metabolite α-ketoglutarate is membrane-impermeable, meaning that it is usually added to cells in the form of esters such as dimethyl -ketoglutarate (DMKG), trifluoromethylbenzyl α-ketoglutarate (TFMKG) and octyl α-ketoglutarate (O-KG). Once these compounds cross the plasma membrane, they are hydrolyzed by esterases to generate α-ketoglutarate, which remains trapped within cells. Here, we systematically compared DMKG, TFMKG and O-KG for their metabolic and functional effects. All three compounds similarly increased the intracellular levels of α-ketoglutarate, yet each of them had multiple effects on other metabolites that were not shared among the three agents, as determined by mass spectrometric metabolomics. While all three compounds reduced autophagy induced by culture in nutrient-free conditions, TFMKG and O-KG (but not DMKG) caused an increase in baseline autophagy in cells cultured in complete medium. O-KG (but neither DMKG nor TFMK) inhibited oxidative phosphorylation and exhibited cellular toxicity. Altogether, these results support the idea that intracellular α-ketoglutarate inhibits starvation-induced autophagy and that it has no direct respiration-inhibitory effect.
Interesting study. Is it something you’re considering adding to your routine?

LeeLemonoil

Interesting study. Is it something you’re considering adding to your routine?

I just finished a bag of powder.

But I’m a bit on the fence about how to use it since I’m not completely in RPF-Mode where mTOR-activation, calorie restriction (mimetic) and such is concerned.

It did give me noticeable pro-stamina effects though and I began to take it because of murine studies showing it to be not only life-prolonging but also reducing „frailty“ in aged mice, health-span prolonging

Dave Clark

I don’t think calcium adds anything. Calcium-AKG would likely dissociate in the gut anyway
Yeah, and if that is the case, ornithine AKG is far less expensive, although they only studied calcium AKG. And, even though it is not Peaty, I don't believe the very small amount of ornithine that would be in an equivalent dose of AKG would be a metabolic problem.

LeeLemonoil

Yeah, and if that is the case, ornithine AKG is far less expensive, although they only studied calcium AKG. And, even though it is not Peaty, I don't believe the very small amount of ornithine that would be in an equivalent dose of AKG would be a metabolic problem.

I used pure A-Kg this time

GenericName86

I used pure A-Kg this time
Which brand did you use? I purchased liquid AKG from Simplesa as on the site it said the ingredients was just 300mg α-Ketogluterate Acid however upon receiving it the label actually says L-arginine Alpha ketoglutarate So I think that would make it AAKG.

LeeLemonoil

Which brand did you use? I purchased liquid AKG from Simplesa as on the site it said the ingredients was just 300mg α-Ketogluterate Acid however upon receiving it the label actually says L-arginine Alpha ketoglutarate So I think that would make it AAKG.

Yes, that was AAKG then.

No-brand bulk powder from a German vendor, not feasible to send outside EU

David PS

OP
A

agnostic

Hello, this is Benedicte from Biochemnordic.com

I am trying to find out more about AKG, so if you could post your email correspondence with Ray Peat regarding alpha ketoglutarate that would be very helpful.

You can also write me on this email
[email protected]
I already posted the whole correspondence here: