Calcium Alpha-ketoglutarate. A Calcium Supplement With Added Benefits?

OP
A

agnostic

At the rate you are taking it, that is a large supply that looks like about ten years worth, if I am seeing this correctly. How will you store this, and do you think it will keep its potency?

I have no idea how stable it is. If anybody knows please let me know.

Dave Clark

I know that is said that arginine is not Peaty, what about ornithine, probably the same? Just wondering, arginine AKG and ornithine AKG are widely available, and really, how much of those amino acids would really be in a proper dose of AKG? We probably consume much more of those amino acids in our diet. So, I am just thinking that maybe using these forms of AKG would not be a detriment regarding the amino acids, vis a vis Peat friendly substances. Any thoughts on that?

managing

I started taking Klaire's Alpha Ketoglutarate a couple of weeks ago. Definite calm energy, clear head effect (1xd with breakfast).

Interesting side effect: My sweat hardly smells any more. I guess the ammonia scavenging effect.

Mossy

I started taking Klaire's Alpha Ketoglutarate a couple of weeks ago. Definite calm energy, clear head effect (1xd with breakfast).

Interesting side effect: My sweat hardly smells any more. I guess the ammonia scavenging effect.
Would you mind sharing an update of your experience with this?

P.S. I've just noticed that you didn't have "calcium" in your supplement name. Does yours not contain calcium?

LeeLemonoil

a-Ketoglutarate is an autophagy enhancer. Via mTor antagonism and AMPK-activation

At least in mice it can promote hair growth in the bald.
A similar compound, alpha ketobutyric acid also seems interesting

LeeLemonoil

@GorillaHead

it seems pure a-KG is hard to obtain, probably unstable and/or smelly.

Apart from Calcium-Salt there is also Arginine-Ketoglutarat available and, more interesting, Creatine-Ketoglutarate. The latter might be able to be forumlated into a topical.

OP
A

agnostic

Here's another study showing that alpha-ketoglutarate has protective effects on the gut:

Mol Nutr Food Res
2021 Apr;65(7):e2000936.
doi: 10.1002/mnfr.202000936. Epub 2021 Mar 15.

Dietary Alpha-Ketoglutarate Promotes Epithelial Metabolic Transition and Protects against DSS-Induced Colitis​

Qiyu Tian 1 2, Alejandro Bravo Iniguez 1, Qi Sun 1, Hongbin Wang 1, Min Du 2, Mei-Jun Zhu 1
Affiliations expand
Scope: As a natural compound in foods, alpha-ketoglutarate (aKG) is one of the key metabolites maintaining energy homeostasis. This study examines the beneficial effects of dietary aKG against the development of experimental colitis and further explores the underlying molecular mechanisms.
Methods and results: Eight-week-old male C57BL/6 mice receive drinking water with or without 1% aKG for 4 weeks. At week 3, colitis is induced by 2.5% dextran sulfate sodium (DSS) for 7 days followed by 7 days recovery. Dietary aKG supplementation decreases DSS-induced body weight loss, gross bleeding, fecal consistency score, and disease activity index. In agreement, aKG supplementation restores DSS-associated colon shortening, ameliorated mucosal damage, and macrophage infiltration into colonic tissue, which are associated with suppressed gut inflammation and Wnt signaling, and improved epithelial structure. Consistently, aKG supplementation enhances M1 to M2 macrophage polarization and strengthens intestinal barrier function. Additionally, aKG supplementation elevates colonic aKG levels while decreasing 2-hydroxyglutarate levels, which increases oxidative instead of glycolytic metabolism.
Conclusion: aKG supplementation protects against epithelial damage and ameliorates DSS-induced colitis, which are associated with suppressed inflammation, Wnt signaling pathway, and glycolysis. Intake of foods enriched with aKG or aKG supplementation can be an alternative approach for the prevention or treatment of colitis that are common in Western societies.
Keywords: DSS; alpha-ketoglutarate; inflammation; inflammatory bowel disease; intestinal barrier.

David PS

Alpha-Ketoglutarate, an Endogenous Metabolite, Extends Lifespan and Compresses Morbidity in Aging Mice - https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2020.0...

Highlights​

• •A CaAKG-supplemented diet extends lifespan of middle-aged female mice
  • •AKG supplementation extends healthspan of both female and male mice
  • •AKG compresses morbidity. Reduction in frailty is more dramatic than lifespan extension
  • •AKG reduces chronic inflammation and induces IL-10 in T cells of female mice

Summary​

Metabolism and aging are tightly connected. Alpha-ketoglutarate is a key metabolite in the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle, and its levels change upon fasting, exercise, and aging. Here, we investigate the effect of alpha-ketoglutarate (delivered in the form of a calcium salt, CaAKG) on healthspan and lifespan in C57BL/6 mice. To probe the relationship between healthspan and lifespan extension in mammals, we performed a series of longitudinal, clinically relevant measurements. We find that CaAKG promotes a longer, healthier life associated with a decrease in levels of systemic inflammatory cytokines. We propose that induction of IL-10 by dietary AKG suppresses chronic inflammation, leading to health benefits. By simultaneously reducing frailty and enhancing longevity, AKG, at least in the murine model, results in a compression of morbidity.

Graphical Abstract​

Figure thumbnail fx1

edit - full text at https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2019/10/04/779157.full.pdf

Last edited:

golder

Has anyone recently used this that can share their experience? Thank you!

Michael Mohn

If I'm not mistaken, alpha ketoglutaric is one of the primary ketoacids found in cooked potato juice.
I think it is a keto acid Peat talked about.
All that goodness that settles in the bottom, the white powdery looking stuff, is the ketoacids.
The white stuff is the potato starch, good energy source if you can handle starch but the keto acids are in the liquid, they become creamy jelly like if you boil them long enough, ~45min. If you want only the keto acids you have to decant the liquid and keep the white starch on the bottom.

David PS

Dave Clark

I am a bit foggy on it, but I thought I had read what makes it 'special' is that the Calcium AKG is in a time released form, and that the research showed that this form got better scientific results, as opposed to just taking it once or twice/day. Apparently keeping the cells saturated in small doses is better. If I recall correctly.

David PS

I am a bit foggy on it, but I thought I had read what makes it 'special' is that the Calcium AKG is in a time released form, and that the research showed that this form got better scientific results, as opposed to just taking it once or twice/day. Apparently keeping the cells saturated in small doses is better. If I recall correctly.

I think your correct. As I recall, one of the studies was done by adding calcium AKG to the water that mice were drinking during the day.

Still, It is nice to know that a merchant is suggesting that even taking a pill once a day works.

Mossy

I think your correct. As I recall, one of the studies was done by adding calcium AKG to the water that mice were drinking during the day.

Still, It is nice to know that a merchant is suggesting that even taking a pill once a day works.
A reviewer on Amazon suggested adding calcium to AKG, to make it a little more consistant with the studies. (Though it won't be time-release). :

"This does not have calcium in it like the antiaging studies, one could always take a calcium supplement with it since both are water soluble and could react to form the calcium salt or exist as an ion pair."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals