Long-term treatment with calcium-alpha-ketoglutarate corrects secondary hyperparathyroidism

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

Long-term treatment with calcium-alpha-ketoglutarate corrects secondary hyperparathyroidism​

E Zimmermann, S Wassmer, V Steudle
  • PMID: 8676818

Abstract​

Calcium-alpha-ketoglutarate (Ca-ket) is known as a highly effective phosphate (P) binder in hemodialysis (HD) patients. In addition, alpha-ketoglutarate has been shown to improve metabolic alterations. We investigated the effect of long-term P-binding therapy with Ca-ket to determine whether P accumulation is the main reason of secondary hyperparathyroidism (HPT) in HD patients or not. Ca-ket was prescribed to 14 HD patients as a soluble preparation in a mean dosage of 4.5 g/day (0.975 g elemental Ca) for a period of 36 months. Serum P continuously dropped from prestudy 2.6 +/- 0.1 (mean +/- SEM) to 1.9 +/- 0.07 mmol/l (p < 0.001), whereas serum Ca increased from 2.2 +/- 0.1 to 2.47 +/- 0.08 mmol/l (p < 0.05). Thus, Ca/P ratio in serum converted significantly from 0.91 +/- 0.02 (prestudy) to 1.28 +/- 0.01 (p < 0.001). Intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH) continuously normalized in all patients from 29 +/- 5 to 8 +/- 2 pmol/l (p < 0.001). The present data show that long-term treatment with Ca-ket normalizes secondary HPT by simultaneously P binding and correcting Ca/P ratio in serum without vitamin D treatment.

Mauritio

Serum P continuously dropped from prestudy 2.6 +/- 0.1 (mean +/- SEM) to 1.9 +/- 0.07 mmol/l (p < 0.001), whereas serum Ca increased from 2.2 +/- 0.1 to 2.47 +/- 0.08 mmol/l (p < 0.05). Thus, Ca/P ratio in serum converted significantly from 0.91 +/- 0.02 (prestudy) to 1.28 +/- 0.01 (p < 0.001). Intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH) continuously normalized in all patients from 29 +/- 5 to 8 +/- 2 pmol/l (p < 0.001).
Wow , the drop in PTH is impressive!
I doubt a regular calcium supplement would be so effective in lowering PTH. The dose of elemental calcium isnt even that high.
I guess the added benefit comes from the fact that it lowers phosphate AND increases calcium at the same time.

Have you ever tried it ?

Mauritio

"AKG induces muscle hypertrophy, brown adipose tissue (BAT) thermogenesis, and white adipose tissue (WAT) lipolysis in vivo. We further found that AKG stimulates the adrenal release of adrenaline through 2-oxoglutarate receptor 1 (OXGR1) expressed in adrenal glands. Finally, by using both loss-of-function and gain-of-function mouse models, we showed that OXGR1 is essential for AKG-mediated exercise-induced beneficial metabolic effects. These findings reveal an unappreciated mechanism for the salutary effects of resistance exercise, using AKG as a systemically derived molecule for adrenal stimulation of muscle hypertrophy and fat loss."

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I’ve been taking 1200mg daily now for the past 5 days. I did notice an ammonia dump effect (via urine) which is good and I’ve also noticed more vivid dreams.

I can’t say I’ve “felt” the adrenaline release…

But I’m gonna take it for a month or so, and observe the effects. Had an amazing pump last night in the gym but that could’ve been because I haven’t trained in 5 days and have been eating like a pig with ***t loads of carbs.

Mauritio

I’ve been taking 1200mg daily now for the past 5 days. I did notice an ammonia dump effect (via urine) which is good and I’ve also noticed more vivid dreams.

But I’m gonna take it for a month or so, and observe the effects. Had an amazing pump last night in the gym but that could’ve been because I haven’t trained in 5 days and have been eating like a pig with ***t loads of carbs.
Nice ,I've read in this thread that it can be a precursor to NO ,which might explain the pump.

Vesi

Update on this?

Smelly5

Any update to your experience with AKG?? @Lokzo

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals