Alcohol increases neurogenesis

Hans

Forum Supporter
This was an interesting study that I thought was worth sharing.
Many detrimental substances/compounds/neurotransmitters/hormones, are able to increase neurogenesis and are supposed to be beneficial. This study made me think of what Peat said about certain SSRI drugs increasing allopregnanolone. For example, Prozac can increase allopregnanolone and that's one of the reasons why it helps against depression. So why is a harmful chemical increasing a beneficial compound such as allopregnanolone. Peat said that anything that damages the brain can increase allopregnanolone.

This study showed that alcohol reduced B1 in the brain, caused oxidative stress and stimulated neurogenesis.

"Alcohol altered the levels of several neurotransmitters and neurotrophic factors in the brain including gamma-Aminobutyric acid (GABA), corticotropin-releasing factor, cAMP response element-binding protein (CREB) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Alcohol increased the expression of neuroinflammation markers including interleukin-6 (IL-6), tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α), monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1) and C-C chemokine receptor 2 (CCR2). Alcohol also induced cleaved caspase-3 and glial fibrillary acidic protein, indicative of neurodegeneration and gliosis. In addition, alcohol inhibited the expression of thiamine transporters in the brain and reduced thiamine levels in the blood. Alcohol also caused oxidative stress and endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress, and stimulated neurogenesis."

So just because something stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis or neurogenesis, doesn't mean that it's a good substance to use.

LeeLemonoil

Hormesis.

Just because something is touted generally or even by Peat as „bad / harmful“, doesn’t mean it can have beneficial effects

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hormesis.

Just because something is touted generally or even by Peat as „bad / harmful“, doesn’t mean it can have beneficial effects
The effect of (excess) PUFA, alcohol, serotonin, hypothyroidism, iron, radiation, alcohol, etc., is a net negative.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I knew it!

Vodka tonics DO make me smarter and more charming!
Lol, that's most likely from dopamine and GABA, since neurogenesis takes much longer to have an effect.

youngsinatra

I‘d speculate that certain xenohormetic compounds found in turmeric or blueberries might promote neurogenesis by being a low-grade irritant.

@Hans what are the best ways to increase neurogenesis in a positive way, according to your opinion?

I am thinking about trying injectable cerobrolysin, which seems very promising for brain health.

shine

I‘d speculate that certain xenohormetic compounds found in turmeric or blueberries might promote neurogenesis by being a low-grade irritant.

I think this is true, some time ago I read a study that showed that low doses of blueberry extract had beneficial effects on cognition/mood but higher doses were not more effective. I think the irritation and the consequent adaptation caused those beneficial effects.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

@Hans what are the best ways to increase neurogenesis in a positive way, according to your opinion?

I am thinking about trying injectable cerobrolysin, which seems very promising for brain health.
The basics are thyroid (the most important), pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA and the hormones that are created from them.
If you have truly optimized those, including glucose oxidation, no other supplement will be needed.

Beastmode

The basics are thyroid (the most important), pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA and the hormones that are created from them.
If you have truly optimized those, including glucose oxidation, no other supplement will be needed.
I agree! Those are my main ones as well. Long game is the best game. I think optimizing those can take longer than most are willing to go through so they "look" downstream for quick hitters and get disappointed, most of the time, when it doesn't sort out the issues that have been around for a long time.

Also, there's a lot of ways outside of diet to improve neurogenesis (i.e- enriching environment, learning new things.)

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I think optimizing those can take longer than most are willing to go through so they "look" downstream for quick hitters and get disappointed, most of the time, when it doesn't sort out the issues that have been around for a long time.
Agreed. It can take many months if not more than a year or more to get it completely fixed, which is a long time.

But the thing is, if hypothyroidism isn't fixed then neurodegeneration outweighs neurogenesis, since PUFAs accumulate in thr brain during hypothyroidism and ROS is also increased in hypothyroidism. A recipe for disaster.

Beastmode

Agreed. It can take many months if not more than a year or more to get it completely fixed, which is a long time.

But the thing is, if hypothyroidism isn't fixed then neurodegeneration outweighs neurogenesis, since PUFAs accumulate in thr brain during hypothyroidism and ROS is also increased in hypothyroidism. A recipe for disaster.
Makes sense! I only started getting consistent with the preg and dhea only after I removed the pufas, external stressors, etc for a significant period of time. I did start the T3 right away, 4 years ago now, as that's the main thing that got me out of my "state" of hypothyroidism.

My T3 intake has definitely stabilized to a sweet spot of a few mcg (2x per day) now. It's getting hot here in Florida so I notice my body doesn't want as much during this time period (and through summer.) I notice the benefits of the pregnenolone and dhea way more this time around since my macros and micros are more dialed in.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Makes sense! I only started getting consistent with the preg and dhea only after I removed the pufas, external stressors, etc for a significant period of time. I did start the T3 right away, 4 years ago now, as that's the main thing that got me out of my "state" of hypothyroidism.

My T3 intake has definitely stabilized to a sweet spot of a few mcg (2x per day) now. It's getting hot here in Florida so I notice my body doesn't want as much during this time period (and through summer.) I notice the benefits of the pregnenolone and dhea way more this time around since my macros and micros are more dialed in.
Very interesting about feeling those hormones more now. The body is always changing for sure.

How much T3 did you have to take vs now?

Beastmode

Very interesting about feeling those hormones more now. The body is always changing for sure.

How much T3 did you have to take vs now?
The constantly changing is always taken into consideration. I'm good about not changing more than 1-2 things at a time so I can really sense if something "noticeably" shifts.

12-15 mcg per day for a while. Depending on what's going on (i.e- ate something, stressors, etc) I will take more. It seems like something that takes the feeling good to great if all other things are sorted (sleep, movement, nutrition, etc.)

My sleep is good, but I do notice more depth with some T3/T4 (cynoplus.) I didn't add that to the previous message as I don't keep enough supply to take it consistently. I might add that soon though.